Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

child with plantar fasiitis

Posted by J Flynn on 3/17/01 at hrmin (041739)

I am concerned over my child having plantar fisciitis, she is 11 and not into sports nor over weight by far, How can she have this problem at such a young age? it is not in our familys medical background, both my husband and I were joggers and never had any problems of any related nature, so I am concerned and puzzled. She has alot of pain in the mornings and after sitting along time, I want to know if this is rare in children.

My thanks to any answers that can help us.

Sincerly J Flynn

Re: child with plantar fasiitis

Scott R on 3/17/01 at 20:22 (041745)

To quote Dr. B on this: Most problems in a child around that age comes from the growth plates in the bones as they are being stressed through growth spurts and exercise. If the pain is on the back of the heels, please be very sure it is not Sever's Disease. He is the right age for this and the treatment is rest and strapping untill the muscles and tendons lenghthen enough to let the stress off the bones growth plates.You don't want to do permanate damage. Dr. B.

In any event, at such a young age it is very uncommon and going to a dr is crucial to rule out other things like stress fracture or arthritis or infection. If it is PF then my only guess for it being at this age is something like drammatic increase in activity or something that has caused a decrease in calf muscle felxibility.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/17/01 at 22:01 (041749)

I have found that excessive pronation is a major contributing factor as a cause of sever's disease and or plantar fasciitis at this age. A gait analysis is important. So go to the podiatrist for a correct diagnosis, peace of mind and relief of pain. Orthosis for a child is very common and very effective it this is in fact the probem which it appears to be.

Re: Doctor in NJ area?

Chris Elkin on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042565)

Could you recommend a doctor in the NJ/ Tri-state area?

Barbara TX on 3/27/01 at 12:42 (042653)

My favorite podiatrist is in Woodbury, NJ. Dr. Zuckerman is about 20 minutes from the Philly airport and posts on this board. Click on his link on the main page. Good luck - you will receive excellent care. B.

Scott R on 3/17/01 at 20:22 (041745)

To quote Dr. B on this: Most problems in a child around that age comes from the growth plates in the bones as they are being stressed through growth spurts and exercise. If the pain is on the back of the heels, please be very sure it is not Sever's Disease. He is the right age for this and the treatment is rest and strapping untill the muscles and tendons lenghthen enough to let the stress off the bones growth plates.You don't want to do permanate damage. Dr. B.

In any event, at such a young age it is very uncommon and going to a dr is crucial to rule out other things like stress fracture or arthritis or infection. If it is PF then my only guess for it being at this age is something like drammatic increase in activity or something that has caused a decrease in calf muscle felxibility.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/17/01 at 22:01 (041749)

I have found that excessive pronation is a major contributing factor as a cause of sever's disease and or plantar fasciitis at this age. A gait analysis is important. So go to the podiatrist for a correct diagnosis, peace of mind and relief of pain. Orthosis for a child is very common and very effective it this is in fact the probem which it appears to be.

Chris Elkin on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042565)

Could you recommend a doctor in the NJ/ Tri-state area?

Barbara TX on 3/27/01 at 12:42 (042653)

My favorite podiatrist is in Woodbury, NJ. Dr. Zuckerman is about 20 minutes from the Philly airport and posts on this board. Click on his link on the main page. Good luck - you will receive excellent care. B.