Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 months post op

Posted by Pat on 3/17/01 at 23:53 (041754)

It has been 4 months since my p f spur removal surgery. I am off crutches around the house, however, when I have some distance to walk I take my crutches. There is no way I could walk through the grocery store, so I use one of their electric carts. Shortly after my surgery I developed a Neuroma (nerve inflammation between the 3rd and 4th toes) on the same foot. I finally found relief by placing a small Dr Sholls footpad on the bottom of my foot that helps to keep the bones from rubbing together and pinching the nerve. The 1- inch scar on the front inside of my heel is healing quite well. I do have pain in the heel area towards the end of the day. The pain is different than before the surgery, it feels like my foot is week. Two days ago, I had the first completely pain free day since the surgery was done. So, the next day I over did it and was in pain again last night. I guess that one-day free of pain lets me know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Re: 4 months post op

Pam Rl on 3/18/01 at hrmin (041789)

Would you do it again. I'm to have surgery this month on the 21st. For 10 months I have suffered the pain of Plantar Fasciitis/heel spur . I have seen 3 doctors that think this is my only option now that everything else was tried. I have had injections, icing, special boots, orthodics ($350.00) steroid pill pack, --just about everything you can think of. Please e-mail me soon. I need to make a decision quickly. They are doing my left foot first. Thanks , Pam

Pat on 3/19/01 at 18:07 (041886)

Pam, you ask if I would have pf surgery again. I can truthfully say that right now, today, my answer would be NO. I am in more pain now than I was before surgery and I didn't realize the recovery time would be so---long. My foot does not hurt if I just set and read or etc. However, I was a very active person, now everytime I try to do something, my foot hurts worse than it did before surgery. I suffered with pf for 15 years, I tried all of the treatments and many Doctors, finally decided surgery was the only thing left. Maybe after a year has gone by and my foot has completely healed,I will be able to say that I am glad I had surgery, but right now, today, I am not able to say that. Sorry I can't be more positive, but you ask me a question and I answered truthfully. Good luck to you Pam in what every you decide to do.

Julie on 3/20/01 at 01:23 (041907)

Pat, four months isn't all that long. Don't despair of an eventual good outcome: try to keep your hopes up that the surgery will, eventually, be seen to have been successful. Meanwhile rest your feet as much as you possibly can.

Pam, do investigate ESWT before you take the surgery plunge. Surgery will always be there as a last option. If you are a candidate for ESWT, and it works for you, you'll have achieved a good outcome non-invasively.

Pam Rl on 3/18/01 at hrmin (041789)

Would you do it again. I'm to have surgery this month on the 21st. For 10 months I have suffered the pain of Plantar Fasciitis/heel spur . I have seen 3 doctors that think this is my only option now that everything else was tried. I have had injections, icing, special boots, orthodics ($350.00) steroid pill pack, --just about everything you can think of. Please e-mail me soon. I need to make a decision quickly. They are doing my left foot first. Thanks , Pam

Pat on 3/19/01 at 18:07 (041886)

Pam, you ask if I would have pf surgery again. I can truthfully say that right now, today, my answer would be NO. I am in more pain now than I was before surgery and I didn't realize the recovery time would be so---long. My foot does not hurt if I just set and read or etc. However, I was a very active person, now everytime I try to do something, my foot hurts worse than it did before surgery. I suffered with pf for 15 years, I tried all of the treatments and many Doctors, finally decided surgery was the only thing left. Maybe after a year has gone by and my foot has completely healed,I will be able to say that I am glad I had surgery, but right now, today, I am not able to say that. Sorry I can't be more positive, but you ask me a question and I answered truthfully. Good luck to you Pam in what every you decide to do.

Julie on 3/20/01 at 01:23 (041907)

Pat, four months isn't all that long. Don't despair of an eventual good outcome: try to keep your hopes up that the surgery will, eventually, be seen to have been successful. Meanwhile rest your feet as much as you possibly can.

Pam, do investigate ESWT before you take the surgery plunge. Surgery will always be there as a last option. If you are a candidate for ESWT, and it works for you, you'll have achieved a good outcome non-invasively.