Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stretching question or maybe taping question

Posted by paula g on 3/18/01 at 12:02 (041776)

when i try to stetch any part of my leg or ankle it pulls hard on my heel, back of, at heelspur in fact. which is always very inflamed and painful. any one know stretches that don't pull on this spot or a taping method or anything. I can't get out of this pf mess if i don't stretch and i can't stretch.

Re: stretching question or maybe taping question

Julie on 3/18/01 at 13:22 (041782)

Paula, hi. I'm trying to remember your history, and am afraid I can't, but I have a feeling you have been in a lot of pain lately, and if that's the case, you really need to be awfully careful about stretching. Too much enthusiastic stretching can do more harm than good.

It's not necessarily the case that you can't get over PF if you don't stretch. If the stretching you're doing hurts, you should stop, because your body is telling you that particular exercise is wrong for you. Weight-bearing stretching in particular is not advised for everyone.

What kind of stretching are you doing? If you can give us more information, we can possibly help you. But I'd say that if whatever you are doing is causing you pain, you shouldn't be doing it.

Taping is an excellent way of resting the fascia. There have been lots of posts on it, many by me. A search on ' tape' or ' taping' will bring up a great deal of information.

All the best, Julie

paula g on 3/18/01 at hrmin (041790)

cannot walk, lots of pain, just broke piggybank and bought a therapy pool ( swim spa) all movement hurts so i have to start somewhere.. any advice would be appreciated. been immoble a long time but doc says i can try moving again. can feel my calves and heel cords pulling on heel and fascia, even sitting down or lying down. feel i must try to stretch leg even if a tiny bit. hey all you stretching experts got some ideas for me?

Julie on 3/18/01 at 15:54 (041791)

Paula, if you are in so much pain that you can't walk, _please_ don't do weight-bearing stretches, like the wall stretch and the stair stretch. I suggest you check out the Personal Foot Trainer on the Products board. It comes with an instruction booklet that gives systematic stretching programmes that will be better for you than standing stretches.

There is also the Acu-Flex, but I believe that Alan K, who developed it and sells it, is away and the web-site is inactive just now. Try the PFT.

Re: PFT and Acu-Flex

Julie on 3/18/01 at 16:13 (041792)

Paula, I've just checked: you can't get into the Acu-Flex website. Do look at the PFT site (just click on the link to get there). There is an excellent explanation of why the traditional weight-bearing stretches are incorrect and can be harmful, and descriptions of some of the exercises. I should think it would be a good investment for you. I know Dr Z recommends it to all his ESWT patients.

Beverly on 3/18/01 at 20:26 (041814)

Paula,

When I first tried to do stretching, it hurt and scared me. But overwhelming evidence pointed to the need to stretch. I wanted to do it safely. I went to several pods and then later 2 orthopedic guys. Some said, 'Stretch.' Some said, 'Don't stretch until it heals.' This confused me even more. I finally found an orthopedic sports med. doc who convinced me that I needed to stretch. I convinced him that I was not a 'one size fits all' patient... couldn't handle his suggested wall stretches or the extreme nature of his towel stretches (held them way too long for me.) That's when I was given a PT script. I shopped on the phone until I found a PT I felt good about. She set me up with 'baby' stretches. At first, all I did was just barely flex back my foot to the point of the hold. Gradually over many weeks, I worked up to 'standard' nonweight bearing stretches. I never did reach a comfort zone with the wall stretch. If your insurance will pay for it, I highly reccommend PT. A good PT will know if it is time for you to start stretching. It will be up to you to be assertive enough not to do more than you are ready for.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 3/18/01 at 21:57 (041823)

Alan K is in Thailand and plans to be back on board with the Acu-Flex on his return.

ellen w on 3/19/01 at 09:35 (041843)

Paula,

I think Beverly's advice is really good. My PT started me off with really gentle non-weight bearing stretches using a rubber exercise band, and even though I've been much better,I still try to do these every day before getting out of bed. While lying in bed with my legs out flat and straight, I loop the band over the bottom of my foot and push down, doing three sets of 10. Then I push to each side, again 3 sets of 10 each. I did just these, along with standing on 1 foot at a time for 30 seconds for months; then with my ankle loosened up I added a couple of stretches of pulling my knee up to my chest; followed by looping the band around the bottom of my foot and pulling my leg straight up and then slowly as far forward as it is comfortable going.

When I first started doing these, now about a year ago, I could not do any kind of stretch. Now I'm really limber and my legs and ankles are much stronger.

I've been realizing that even when/if I get to the point when I can say, 'I'm healed' I will probably need to continue to do these stretches every day, and will probably move up to the PFTs or Acu-Flex sold throught this site.

My problem was diagnosed as achilles tendonitis with retrocalcaneal bursitis. The tendonitis resolved in several months, but the bursitis has been really a stickler. It has been resolving, but I keep reaching plateaus where it just doesn't get better. When helped me over the first plateau was a dose of oral steroids. That seemed to help reduce enough of the inflammation to bring me down to one level. I think the MSM has been helping me get over the plateau tha I've been at for the last 4 months.

Hope this helps,
Ellen

robert Detrich on 3/20/01 at hrmin (041964)

Well, believe it or not, I know how to help you with the foot problem you have, and NOT make it hurt, but make it feel better. I don't want to interfere with the people who own this mesage board though. I will be coming out with what I believe is an excellent help for your problem-----I am wondering if the people at heelspurs.com would be interested in talking to me? I might be able to help them if they are interested. I am not currently in business for this problem, but might be in the future someday---possibly 6 months down the line.

Obviously, I will not post these messages anymore, but respectfully request that the people at heelspurs.com let me know their interests and wishes in this arena. I will be more than happy to abide by their wishes and demands. I have a master of science degree in exercise physiology, and played some professional tennis.

Anyway, regardless of whether anyone is interested in my treatment, and cure, I hope everyone with this problem recovers soon. I had the problem, severe, for 4 years off and on. Thank you for your time.

If anyone is interested in contacting me, you may do so at RDETRUU@aol.com .

Thank you, Robert Detrich

paula on 3/23/01 at 20:32 (042309)

thank you to those who shared their information with me

Julie on 3/18/01 at 13:22 (041782)

Paula, hi. I'm trying to remember your history, and am afraid I can't, but I have a feeling you have been in a lot of pain lately, and if that's the case, you really need to be awfully careful about stretching. Too much enthusiastic stretching can do more harm than good.

It's not necessarily the case that you can't get over PF if you don't stretch. If the stretching you're doing hurts, you should stop, because your body is telling you that particular exercise is wrong for you. Weight-bearing stretching in particular is not advised for everyone.

What kind of stretching are you doing? If you can give us more information, we can possibly help you. But I'd say that if whatever you are doing is causing you pain, you shouldn't be doing it.

Taping is an excellent way of resting the fascia. There have been lots of posts on it, many by me. A search on ' tape' or ' taping' will bring up a great deal of information.

All the best, Julie

paula g on 3/18/01 at hrmin (041790)

cannot walk, lots of pain, just broke piggybank and bought a therapy pool ( swim spa) all movement hurts so i have to start somewhere.. any advice would be appreciated. been immoble a long time but doc says i can try moving again. can feel my calves and heel cords pulling on heel and fascia, even sitting down or lying down. feel i must try to stretch leg even if a tiny bit. hey all you stretching experts got some ideas for me?

Julie on 3/18/01 at 15:54 (041791)

Paula, if you are in so much pain that you can't walk, _please_ don't do weight-bearing stretches, like the wall stretch and the stair stretch. I suggest you check out the Personal Foot Trainer on the Products board. It comes with an instruction booklet that gives systematic stretching programmes that will be better for you than standing stretches.

There is also the Acu-Flex, but I believe that Alan K, who developed it and sells it, is away and the web-site is inactive just now. Try the PFT.

Julie on 3/18/01 at 16:13 (041792)

Paula, I've just checked: you can't get into the Acu-Flex website. Do look at the PFT site (just click on the link to get there). There is an excellent explanation of why the traditional weight-bearing stretches are incorrect and can be harmful, and descriptions of some of the exercises. I should think it would be a good investment for you. I know Dr Z recommends it to all his ESWT patients.

Beverly on 3/18/01 at 20:26 (041814)

Paula,

When I first tried to do stretching, it hurt and scared me. But overwhelming evidence pointed to the need to stretch. I wanted to do it safely. I went to several pods and then later 2 orthopedic guys. Some said, 'Stretch.' Some said, 'Don't stretch until it heals.' This confused me even more. I finally found an orthopedic sports med. doc who convinced me that I needed to stretch. I convinced him that I was not a 'one size fits all' patient... couldn't handle his suggested wall stretches or the extreme nature of his towel stretches (held them way too long for me.) That's when I was given a PT script. I shopped on the phone until I found a PT I felt good about. She set me up with 'baby' stretches. At first, all I did was just barely flex back my foot to the point of the hold. Gradually over many weeks, I worked up to 'standard' nonweight bearing stretches. I never did reach a comfort zone with the wall stretch. If your insurance will pay for it, I highly reccommend PT. A good PT will know if it is time for you to start stretching. It will be up to you to be assertive enough not to do more than you are ready for.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 3/18/01 at 21:57 (041823)

Alan K is in Thailand and plans to be back on board with the Acu-Flex on his return.

ellen w on 3/19/01 at 09:35 (041843)

Paula,

I think Beverly's advice is really good. My PT started me off with really gentle non-weight bearing stretches using a rubber exercise band, and even though I've been much better,I still try to do these every day before getting out of bed. While lying in bed with my legs out flat and straight, I loop the band over the bottom of my foot and push down, doing three sets of 10. Then I push to each side, again 3 sets of 10 each. I did just these, along with standing on 1 foot at a time for 30 seconds for months; then with my ankle loosened up I added a couple of stretches of pulling my knee up to my chest; followed by looping the band around the bottom of my foot and pulling my leg straight up and then slowly as far forward as it is comfortable going.

When I first started doing these, now about a year ago, I could not do any kind of stretch. Now I'm really limber and my legs and ankles are much stronger.

I've been realizing that even when/if I get to the point when I can say, 'I'm healed' I will probably need to continue to do these stretches every day, and will probably move up to the PFTs or Acu-Flex sold throught this site.

My problem was diagnosed as achilles tendonitis with retrocalcaneal bursitis. The tendonitis resolved in several months, but the bursitis has been really a stickler. It has been resolving, but I keep reaching plateaus where it just doesn't get better. When helped me over the first plateau was a dose of oral steroids. That seemed to help reduce enough of the inflammation to bring me down to one level. I think the MSM has been helping me get over the plateau tha I've been at for the last 4 months.

Hope this helps,
Ellen

robert Detrich on 3/20/01 at hrmin (041964)

Well, believe it or not, I know how to help you with the foot problem you have, and NOT make it hurt, but make it feel better. I don't want to interfere with the people who own this mesage board though. I will be coming out with what I believe is an excellent help for your problem-----I am wondering if the people at heelspurs.com would be interested in talking to me? I might be able to help them if they are interested. I am not currently in business for this problem, but might be in the future someday---possibly 6 months down the line.

Obviously, I will not post these messages anymore, but respectfully request that the people at heelspurs.com let me know their interests and wishes in this arena. I will be more than happy to abide by their wishes and demands. I have a master of science degree in exercise physiology, and played some professional tennis.

Anyway, regardless of whether anyone is interested in my treatment, and cure, I hope everyone with this problem recovers soon. I had the problem, severe, for 4 years off and on. Thank you for your time.

If anyone is interested in contacting me, you may do so at RDETRUU@aol.com .

Thank you, Robert Detrich

paula on 3/23/01 at 20:32 (042309)

thank you to those who shared their information with me