Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

is my pt insane?

Posted by paula g on 3/19/01 at hrmin (041865)

my pt says she wants me walking next week after 9 months in a wheelchair and a week and a half of therapy. would this be the time to switch therapists?

Re: is my pt insane?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/19/01 at 15:51 (041874)

If she wants you to try the bars in the physical therapy department. Maybe a good attempt to try . Alittle bit could be good

paula g on 3/19/01 at hrmin (041893)

she wants me to get up on crutches, after i told her i recently got out of hospital with overactive thyroid that wasted away my muscles and my endocrinologist said therapy could work but real slow. last time i got on crutches i sprained my ankle. this just seems too fast to me.

Julie on 3/20/01 at 01:31 (041908)

Paula, you've really got to be the final judge. I don't quite see how you could manage crutches if your muscles are as wasted as you say. Please discuss it thoroughly with your PT before you sprain the other ankle, or do something worse.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/20/01 at 09:00 (041929)

Isn't there a walking bar that can be used to help you START to walk. You would need an assistant to help you. You may need to be under the care of a specialized physical therapist for this type of rehab. It sounds like this is what you need.

Pauline on 3/20/01 at 15:37 (041969)

Paula,
When all else fails call your doctor back and explain what the plan is.
Express your fears and go from there. Communication is best. Remember as long as you are still of sound mind you have control over what will be done to your body. Good luck. Follow your gut feelings.

paula on 3/22/01 at hrmin (042160)

thanks for the input. i talked to her and we are waiting a bit for me to build strength thru exercises. how long she will give me i don't know. i think the problem is this pt place has a special contract with my insurance company and i pay only five dollars a visit. but she is maybe pressured to move poeple thru real qui ck. i am thinking of changing to an independent company where i pay a little more (10% of treatment). I don't know it the above is true but my intuition is saying go where there's no special relationship between pt place and insurance company. what do you guys think?

paula on 3/22/01 at 09:13 (042168)

also, my pt is very good and has given me more releif than anyone or anything since this started, spends lots of time and attention on my feet. just hard to understand the rush to stand up after all this time down.

Nancy S. on 3/22/01 at 09:49 (042176)

Paula, your intuition is probably right on the mark. You can bet your last dollar that if the PT has a contract with the insurance company, the pressure is definitely there to push people through, no question. This rush to get you on your feet in your situation cannot be in your best interest. But since you say the PT has helped a lot before this, I can't give an opinion on whether you should switch PTs. I can tell you that I probably would, though! Good luck --
Nancy
p.s. sorry, I just remembered that I think this is the doctors' board and you're awaiting their advice.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/19/01 at 15:51 (041874)

If she wants you to try the bars in the physical therapy department. Maybe a good attempt to try . Alittle bit could be good

paula g on 3/19/01 at hrmin (041893)

she wants me to get up on crutches, after i told her i recently got out of hospital with overactive thyroid that wasted away my muscles and my endocrinologist said therapy could work but real slow. last time i got on crutches i sprained my ankle. this just seems too fast to me.

Julie on 3/20/01 at 01:31 (041908)

Paula, you've really got to be the final judge. I don't quite see how you could manage crutches if your muscles are as wasted as you say. Please discuss it thoroughly with your PT before you sprain the other ankle, or do something worse.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/20/01 at 09:00 (041929)

Isn't there a walking bar that can be used to help you START to walk. You would need an assistant to help you. You may need to be under the care of a specialized physical therapist for this type of rehab. It sounds like this is what you need.

Pauline on 3/20/01 at 15:37 (041969)

Paula,
When all else fails call your doctor back and explain what the plan is.
Express your fears and go from there. Communication is best. Remember as long as you are still of sound mind you have control over what will be done to your body. Good luck. Follow your gut feelings.

paula on 3/22/01 at hrmin (042160)

thanks for the input. i talked to her and we are waiting a bit for me to build strength thru exercises. how long she will give me i don't know. i think the problem is this pt place has a special contract with my insurance company and i pay only five dollars a visit. but she is maybe pressured to move poeple thru real qui ck. i am thinking of changing to an independent company where i pay a little more (10% of treatment). I don't know it the above is true but my intuition is saying go where there's no special relationship between pt place and insurance company. what do you guys think?

paula on 3/22/01 at 09:13 (042168)

also, my pt is very good and has given me more releif than anyone or anything since this started, spends lots of time and attention on my feet. just hard to understand the rush to stand up after all this time down.

Nancy S. on 3/22/01 at 09:49 (042176)

Paula, your intuition is probably right on the mark. You can bet your last dollar that if the PT has a contract with the insurance company, the pressure is definitely there to push people through, no question. This rush to get you on your feet in your situation cannot be in your best interest. But since you say the PT has helped a lot before this, I can't give an opinion on whether you should switch PTs. I can tell you that I probably would, though! Good luck --
Nancy
p.s. sorry, I just remembered that I think this is the doctors' board and you're awaiting their advice.