Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

haglundsdeformity

Posted by roseyr on 3/20/01 at 13:15 (041952)

hi i have a haglunds deformity on lt foot for 5 yrs just went for a second opinion & found out it is an atypicl H.D
since it is on the inside of ankle. dr, says its not bone because it doesn't show up in xray but its fibrous tiisue that is as hard as bone.planning a mri, had shot of cortisone today .question is could it be soft tissue mass as in tumor?? or a H.D. always fibrous tissue.just feeling confused & scared surgery may be the option & since i have lupus & possible attack of gout/arthrits in the 4th toe in july everyone is (2 M.D's) is cautious about considering surgery. i am too but in the last two months this has grown & now
causing pain. i'd be glad for any input
thanks
P.S. are podiatrist the only ones that do this surgery or are orthopedic or general surgeons skilled in this type of surgery

Re: haglundsdeformity

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/20/01 at 13:31 (041953)

I would also be careful about foot surgery due to the lupus. Have you ever had any gouty attacks in the area in question?

Do you have healing problems, circulatory problems secondary to the lupus.

Haglunds deformity is a boney deformity and not a soft tissue. The location of your mass doesn't sound like the posterior lateral aspect of the heel bone. This is the outside of your heel bone. Keeps up informed about the mri results.

roseyr on 3/21/01 at 08:21 (042042)

dr.z thanks for responding ! yes the bump is on the inside of my heel. no i haven't had any circulatory problems due to lupus
i did have a questionable 'gout attack' in that 4 left toe in july. woke me up from sleep at 3am extremely painful by morning 3/4 of toe fire engine red & swollen & severe pain last most of day .unfortunately i was out of town COULD NOT GET to a md . i have had one md foot say yes sounded like gout & my rheumie said no also had numbness & tingling in that toe and after one month toenail came off ,that numbness was gone for a good time but will every now & then feel numb & tingly & strange but no pain.i too am hesitant to do surgery & only being 44 i do not want to be crippled. sorry so long, just feel a need to vent. appreciate any feed back
rosey

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/21/01 at 21:40 (042126)

If the calcificatoin or bump is at the insertion of the achilles tendon then you could be treated with ESWT. Would help to avoid any foot surgery. Would need to see either a x-ray and or mri to determine exactly where this bump is located to direct you any further.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/20/01 at 13:31 (041953)

I would also be careful about foot surgery due to the lupus. Have you ever had any gouty attacks in the area in question?

Do you have healing problems, circulatory problems secondary to the lupus.

Haglunds deformity is a boney deformity and not a soft tissue. The location of your mass doesn't sound like the posterior lateral aspect of the heel bone. This is the outside of your heel bone. Keeps up informed about the mri results.

roseyr on 3/21/01 at 08:21 (042042)

dr.z thanks for responding ! yes the bump is on the inside of my heel. no i haven't had any circulatory problems due to lupus
i did have a questionable 'gout attack' in that 4 left toe in july. woke me up from sleep at 3am extremely painful by morning 3/4 of toe fire engine red & swollen & severe pain last most of day .unfortunately i was out of town COULD NOT GET to a md . i have had one md foot say yes sounded like gout & my rheumie said no also had numbness & tingling in that toe and after one month toenail came off ,that numbness was gone for a good time but will every now & then feel numb & tingly & strange but no pain.i too am hesitant to do surgery & only being 44 i do not want to be crippled. sorry so long, just feel a need to vent. appreciate any feed back
rosey

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/21/01 at 21:40 (042126)

If the calcificatoin or bump is at the insertion of the achilles tendon then you could be treated with ESWT. Would help to avoid any foot surgery. Would need to see either a x-ray and or mri to determine exactly where this bump is located to direct you any further.