Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help! Too much pain

Posted by S. Maya on 3/20/01 at 14:56 (041963)

How long does it take for the pain to go away? I've had the pain both of my heels since friday, and it's Tuesday. What can I do to get rid of it?

Re: Help! Too much pain

Celia on 3/20/01 at 15:39 (041970)

I feel horrible for you because none of us would be able to give you an answer on that. Our bodies are different so what may take you two days may take me a month. To this day I've had heel pain for a year now! All I do is ice so why don't you try to ice it and rest as much as you can. If you do a search on heel pain you will find more info. Good luck, sweetie.

Bob S on 3/20/01 at 16:35 (041980)

Read the 'PF Book' on this website. You will see that PF is extremely variable in both intensity & duration. Some have it only a few weeks to a couple of months & others a lot longer. You may want to try self-treatment for a little while. If you're not a lot better in a couple of weeks, get to a doctor right away. You need to be sure of the diagnosis & get a good treatment plan. In the meantime rest as much as possible.

Julie on 3/21/01 at 01:16 (042030)

Please note, everyone: The PF Book is now called 'The Heel Pain Book'. Let's call it by it's new proper name so as not to confuse people new to the site.

Maya, that's good advice. Please do read the book: you'll find links on the home page. It's a great source of information, and if you do have plantar fasciitis you'll find a wealth of ideas on how to deal with it.

PF is an injury to the plantar fascia, and it's unlikely that it will go away quickly, but there are lots of factors involved in how long it lasts (age being one of them) so your question isn't answerable. It usually heals only with rest, so stay off your feet as much as you can: don't try to walk (or run) through the pain.

See a podiatrist or sports medicine doctor for a full evaluation, a proper diagnosis, and a sensible treatment plan.

john a on 3/21/01 at 08:47 (042044)

Speaking of The Heel Pain Book, I have always had a slight pet peeve about it being called a Book. A book is something you buy and it has pages and a binding. A web document is not a book. You could call it a 'Book', in quotes, which would be somewhat better IMHO. But better still might be to call it The Heel Pain Bible. No quotes necessary, and the word Bible connotes authoritativeness, comprehensiveness and truthfulness, which is certainly what Scott's document most emphatically is. Anyway, that's how I see it.

Celia on 3/20/01 at 15:39 (041970)

I feel horrible for you because none of us would be able to give you an answer on that. Our bodies are different so what may take you two days may take me a month. To this day I've had heel pain for a year now! All I do is ice so why don't you try to ice it and rest as much as you can. If you do a search on heel pain you will find more info. Good luck, sweetie.

Bob S on 3/20/01 at 16:35 (041980)

Read the 'PF Book' on this website. You will see that PF is extremely variable in both intensity & duration. Some have it only a few weeks to a couple of months & others a lot longer. You may want to try self-treatment for a little while. If you're not a lot better in a couple of weeks, get to a doctor right away. You need to be sure of the diagnosis & get a good treatment plan. In the meantime rest as much as possible.

Julie on 3/21/01 at 01:16 (042030)

Please note, everyone: The PF Book is now called 'The Heel Pain Book'. Let's call it by it's new proper name so as not to confuse people new to the site.

Maya, that's good advice. Please do read the book: you'll find links on the home page. It's a great source of information, and if you do have plantar fasciitis you'll find a wealth of ideas on how to deal with it.

PF is an injury to the plantar fascia, and it's unlikely that it will go away quickly, but there are lots of factors involved in how long it lasts (age being one of them) so your question isn't answerable. It usually heals only with rest, so stay off your feet as much as you can: don't try to walk (or run) through the pain.

See a podiatrist or sports medicine doctor for a full evaluation, a proper diagnosis, and a sensible treatment plan.

john a on 3/21/01 at 08:47 (042044)

Speaking of The Heel Pain Book, I have always had a slight pet peeve about it being called a Book. A book is something you buy and it has pages and a binding. A web document is not a book. You could call it a 'Book', in quotes, which would be somewhat better IMHO. But better still might be to call it The Heel Pain Bible. No quotes necessary, and the word Bible connotes authoritativeness, comprehensiveness and truthfulness, which is certainly what Scott's document most emphatically is. Anyway, that's how I see it.