Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Other causes of plantar fascitis

Posted by Amy on 3/20/01 at 23:05 (042018)

My doctor gave me some literature to read on PF and it suggested that rheumatoid arthritis and/or nerves being compressed in the back area are other causes of PF. Anyone else ever hear of this? Rheumatoid arthritis can be ruled out by a simple blood test. I have degenerative disc disease at L1. I read this info. after leaving the doctor's office. Could this be considered compressed nerves?

Re: Other causes of plantar fascitis

elisabeth p on 3/26/01 at 08:38 (042497)

I am wondering the same thing having injured L5 S1 several years ago and after recent rehabilitation now have pf which will not go away - suggested that it is linked to back and am waiting the results of an MRI to rule anything else out.

Eddie Davis, DPM on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042578)

Heel pain has numerous causes besides plantar fasciitis although plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain. Rheumatoid arthritis can cause heel pain itself since this disease can affect joints and connective tissue. It is not specifically a direct cause of plantar fasciitis. Low back pathology such as disc problems, the L5-S1 level being a frequent culprit, can cause heel pain but is also not a direct cause of plantar fasciitis. The type of pain caused by disc problems is often described as a 'shooting' pain or sharp pain often coupled with numbness.
Regards,
Ed Davis, DPM

Julie on 3/26/01 at 20:41 (042579)

Elisabeth, if there is compression of the sciatic nerve at L5/S1 there is a good chance that this the source, or one of the sources, of your PF. The adverse neural tension can cause shortening of the calf muscles and early heel lift.

elisabeth p on 3/26/01 at 08:38 (042497)

I am wondering the same thing having injured L5 S1 several years ago and after recent rehabilitation now have pf which will not go away - suggested that it is linked to back and am waiting the results of an MRI to rule anything else out.

Eddie Davis, DPM on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042578)

Heel pain has numerous causes besides plantar fasciitis although plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain. Rheumatoid arthritis can cause heel pain itself since this disease can affect joints and connective tissue. It is not specifically a direct cause of plantar fasciitis. Low back pathology such as disc problems, the L5-S1 level being a frequent culprit, can cause heel pain but is also not a direct cause of plantar fasciitis. The type of pain caused by disc problems is often described as a 'shooting' pain or sharp pain often coupled with numbness.
Regards,
Ed Davis, DPM

Julie on 3/26/01 at 20:41 (042579)

Elisabeth, if there is compression of the sciatic nerve at L5/S1 there is a good chance that this the source, or one of the sources, of your PF. The adverse neural tension can cause shortening of the calf muscles and early heel lift.