Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neighbor in apt. robbed at gunpoint! Prayers for safety

Posted by Beverly on 3/21/01 at 12:30 (042066)

Hi gang,

I know this has nothing to do with our feet, but since this is the social board, here goes:
A neighbor in my apartment community was robbed at gunpoint a couple of days ago. The bugular was lurking in the stairwell with a getaway car parked out front. The good thing is that she was not hurt. He has evidently hit several other apartments in the neighborhood. (Some much for peace of mind from being in a gated complex!)

Brinks is running a $99.00 installation special. I'm going to give them a call. I know that doesn't help me in the hallway, but it makes me feel safer.

I don't go out much at night, but it's still spookey.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Neighbor in apt. robbed at gunpoint! Prayers for safety

Brian G on 3/21/01 at 12:52 (042068)

Buy some pepper spray, it's only $15. Brinks isn't going to help you in the stairwell. If you do have pepper spray, carry it in your hand when going between car and apartment door. It won't help you if it's in the bottom of your purse. The containers are usually painted red, for a reason. If the bad guy sees the spray, he'll probably move on to another target. Don't forget to call 911 for anything suspicious. Just another little security reminder :*)

BG

Pauline on 3/21/01 at 13:22 (042070)

Beverly,
Brian's idea is a good one. I also carry my car keys in my hands with them spaced between my fingers. I can immagine how unsafe you must feel
knowing that has happend at several other locations in your apt. complex.

Someone probably knows this guy and let him in before. It seems that is usually the story. I'll pray for your safety both in and out of your home.

These are the times I wish we had vigilantes that would do away with people like this. Hope I'm not tooooooo hard on them.

Laurie R on 3/21/01 at 14:40 (042081)

Hi Beverly,
This is not right. I live in a very high crime area . It really sucks when you can not even let your kids go in front of your house. My oldest 13 can't even go outside due to all the gangs and drugs. To me guns are for chicken Sh*&^ ...... I second Brian's post. Yes be safe and if at all possible don't go out at night.

How are your feet after your setback?? I hope they are being good to you. Take care and my very best to you Beverly.... Laurie R

Beverly on 3/21/01 at 18:16 (042106)

Brian, good idea about pepper spray. Where do I get it? I've seen it on TV but never seen it in a store.

Laurie, what is even worse than living in a high crime area is paying extra $$ to live in a new gated apartment community and still not be able to escape pistol toting muggers! My apartment is four blocks from the police station!

This morning when I stepped outside my front door to pick up the newspaper, I looked both ways. Ditto on my trip home from the healthfood store. It certainly reminds me not to be careless. This community feels 'safe,' and I'd gotten in the habit of bringing in the groceries and not relocking the door between trips to and from the car. I can guarantee you I relocked the door each time on today's grocery trip!

Laurie, that is awful that your child can't even play outside.

Thank you for asking about my setback. I've got to start taking it easy. It is wonderful to be home near friends and family, but I'm just doing too much. Yesterday, I went with a friend to a movie at a museum. I didn't have any idea what a long walk it would be into the place. I've got to make myself slow down. I usually feel better after a day or two, but it's catching up with me, and I feel it in my ankle. But my heels are doing remarkably well.

I'm finding that my friends just have absolutely no concept of how limited I am. They just don't get it, and since they were not around me in Corpus when I was at my worst, they have not watched the progression of this. I have one friend who seems to be really sympathetic. I think everyone else just tolerates me. My best friend said to me the other day, 'I hope you get past this helpless stage soon.'

Boy, that depressed me. I had asked her for a ride across town. I knew there would be heavy traffic... hard for me. She's retired and I always take her out to eat as a thank you. It wasn't a matter of lack of time on her part. On basic principle, she just seemed frustrated that I hadn't gotten better yet. Hey, so am I!

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the prayers.
Take care,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 3/21/01 at 19:40 (042114)

Beverly -

I'm so sorry about your feeling of insecurity in your apartment complex... we live in an apartment as well, and we have to take lots of extra steps to be safe - you know how people come and go in apartments. When I'm going out at night by myself and it's dark with 'blind' corners, sometimes I talk to myself as if I'm having a conversation with someone who is following me until I get safely into the car.

Pepper spray is a GREAT option, especially if you have it on your keychain and walk to and from the car. I used to take walks (oh, what bliss in my memory!) with my finger on the trigger of the spray. If you want to make absolutely sure of what kind of product you have and how to use it, buy two, and take one out of the city and try it on a fencepost - sometimes your range is short. You should know the range, and you should know if its a stream or a spray.

As for your friend - I know that she is NOT frustrated with you but frustrated ON YOUR BEHALF. It is hard for the people who care about us to see us in pain. I, myself, find it a little wild that my heel can change my entire life - but it absolutely has. I am sure that you will get past this spot... remember that wonderful shopping trip! These things are possible for you and WILL come again - soon. B.

Re: Re:Barbara, great idea!

Beverly on 3/21/01 at 21:59 (042129)

Barbara,

What a great idea to talk to yourself as if there is someone else there!
I'm going to do that.
These gated apartments give more of an illusion of safety than actual safety. It is too easy to drive in right another car. And a skinny person can slip between the gate!
Beverly

Re: A note on pepper spray

Lori E. on 3/21/01 at 22:57 (042136)

Just a suggestion... Do not buy the cheap cans of pepper spray, from your local corner market.
My friend who works late at night in a nightclub,(you can imagine the hours,) got a can a pepper spray. The can sprang a leak from being toted around all the time. She got some of the spray on her hands from reaching in her purse and then got it in her eyes. Ouch!
I am not saying that pepper spray isn't a good idea, it is. Just get a good can of it. It is a safety device, so don't scrimp in the money department on it.

Brian G on 3/22/01 at 08:53 (042164)

You can the pepper spray in all gun type stores, and most sporting goods stores. Every state has their own regulations concerning the spray. In my state you need a permit from the local PD. As long as you haven't been convicted of a felony, it should be easy to get. Some states require only money :*) Good luck, hope you never need it!

BG

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/22/01 at 12:38 (042199)

When testing the range make sure the wind isn't blowing too much. I can tell you from my own personal testing experience it can blow back into your face, so allow for the wind. Then again I was tesing it on a very windy day in the windy city.

Beverly on 3/22/01 at 14:42 (042210)

Good idea, guys. It would be just my luck to spray myself on a windy day!
I'll send my Dad into the gun store. I have not told him about this incident because I don't want him to panic. He lives out in the sticks surrounded by redneck establishments. I'm sure he can locate a gun store.
Thanks,
Beverly

Laurie R on 3/22/01 at 17:01 (042226)

Hi Beverly ,PLEASE don't take this the wrong way . The spray is not going to do any good if the person has a gun. It might scare them and shoot the gun . Also they do have classes on pepper spray .....Just a thought .... I know you are scared ,just be careful. Laurie R

Barbara TX on 3/22/01 at 17:20 (042229)

Wow! I never thought that pepper spray was regulated anywhere... I just now darn well not to take it through airport security. You will be unpleasantly frisked!

Pepper spray is unregulated in TX, as long as you don't carry it into the airport. It is, as you say, a weapon. Here you can also get what is called a 'concealed carry' permit to have a firearm on your body. You have to go through a special course in weapons safety, complete a certain about of hours on the range, etc. Many people who get it are those who feel especially threatened, or are in the service of protecting someone else. B.

Re: Re:Texas "bubette" humor

Beverly on 3/22/01 at 18:33 (042234)

Laurie,

Since you live in the barrio, I'd expect you know more about this than most of us. I think I'll call the police department and ask them what they suggest.

My dearly deceased mother was ever ready for a bugular. At the risk of perpetutating the Texas Bubba and Bubbette fable, here goes. My Dad is a weekend bubba. He has a gun collection that goes all the way back to some distant relative in the days of gunpowder. He's especially fond of shotguns. One time when he was out-of-town and my mother was home alone, she heard noises in the backyard... She stepped out on the back porch in her nightgown & flaming red Texas 'big hair' coiffed in a hair net, holding Dad's shotgun and hollared to the top of her lungs, 'I've got a loaded double barrel shotgun aimed and ready for you!' With that, she heard scampering and saw feet going over the fence fleeing from her shotgun! It's a good thing she didn't try to shoot it, because the kick would have knocked her flat on her butt!

But as I said, I don't own a gun. But this pepper spray is something worth investigating.
Beverly

Brian G on 3/21/01 at 12:52 (042068)

Buy some pepper spray, it's only $15. Brinks isn't going to help you in the stairwell. If you do have pepper spray, carry it in your hand when going between car and apartment door. It won't help you if it's in the bottom of your purse. The containers are usually painted red, for a reason. If the bad guy sees the spray, he'll probably move on to another target. Don't forget to call 911 for anything suspicious. Just another little security reminder :*)

BG

Pauline on 3/21/01 at 13:22 (042070)

Beverly,
Brian's idea is a good one. I also carry my car keys in my hands with them spaced between my fingers. I can immagine how unsafe you must feel
knowing that has happend at several other locations in your apt. complex.

Someone probably knows this guy and let him in before. It seems that is usually the story. I'll pray for your safety both in and out of your home.

These are the times I wish we had vigilantes that would do away with people like this. Hope I'm not tooooooo hard on them.

Laurie R on 3/21/01 at 14:40 (042081)

Hi Beverly,
This is not right. I live in a very high crime area . It really sucks when you can not even let your kids go in front of your house. My oldest 13 can't even go outside due to all the gangs and drugs. To me guns are for chicken Sh*&^ ...... I second Brian's post. Yes be safe and if at all possible don't go out at night.

How are your feet after your setback?? I hope they are being good to you. Take care and my very best to you Beverly.... Laurie R

Beverly on 3/21/01 at 18:16 (042106)

Brian, good idea about pepper spray. Where do I get it? I've seen it on TV but never seen it in a store.

Laurie, what is even worse than living in a high crime area is paying extra $$ to live in a new gated apartment community and still not be able to escape pistol toting muggers! My apartment is four blocks from the police station!

This morning when I stepped outside my front door to pick up the newspaper, I looked both ways. Ditto on my trip home from the healthfood store. It certainly reminds me not to be careless. This community feels 'safe,' and I'd gotten in the habit of bringing in the groceries and not relocking the door between trips to and from the car. I can guarantee you I relocked the door each time on today's grocery trip!

Laurie, that is awful that your child can't even play outside.

Thank you for asking about my setback. I've got to start taking it easy. It is wonderful to be home near friends and family, but I'm just doing too much. Yesterday, I went with a friend to a movie at a museum. I didn't have any idea what a long walk it would be into the place. I've got to make myself slow down. I usually feel better after a day or two, but it's catching up with me, and I feel it in my ankle. But my heels are doing remarkably well.

I'm finding that my friends just have absolutely no concept of how limited I am. They just don't get it, and since they were not around me in Corpus when I was at my worst, they have not watched the progression of this. I have one friend who seems to be really sympathetic. I think everyone else just tolerates me. My best friend said to me the other day, 'I hope you get past this helpless stage soon.'

Boy, that depressed me. I had asked her for a ride across town. I knew there would be heavy traffic... hard for me. She's retired and I always take her out to eat as a thank you. It wasn't a matter of lack of time on her part. On basic principle, she just seemed frustrated that I hadn't gotten better yet. Hey, so am I!

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the prayers.
Take care,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 3/21/01 at 19:40 (042114)

Beverly -

I'm so sorry about your feeling of insecurity in your apartment complex... we live in an apartment as well, and we have to take lots of extra steps to be safe - you know how people come and go in apartments. When I'm going out at night by myself and it's dark with 'blind' corners, sometimes I talk to myself as if I'm having a conversation with someone who is following me until I get safely into the car.

Pepper spray is a GREAT option, especially if you have it on your keychain and walk to and from the car. I used to take walks (oh, what bliss in my memory!) with my finger on the trigger of the spray. If you want to make absolutely sure of what kind of product you have and how to use it, buy two, and take one out of the city and try it on a fencepost - sometimes your range is short. You should know the range, and you should know if its a stream or a spray.

As for your friend - I know that she is NOT frustrated with you but frustrated ON YOUR BEHALF. It is hard for the people who care about us to see us in pain. I, myself, find it a little wild that my heel can change my entire life - but it absolutely has. I am sure that you will get past this spot... remember that wonderful shopping trip! These things are possible for you and WILL come again - soon. B.

Re: Re:Barbara, great idea!

Beverly on 3/21/01 at 21:59 (042129)

Barbara,

What a great idea to talk to yourself as if there is someone else there!
I'm going to do that.
These gated apartments give more of an illusion of safety than actual safety. It is too easy to drive in right another car. And a skinny person can slip between the gate!
Beverly

Lori E. on 3/21/01 at 22:57 (042136)

Just a suggestion... Do not buy the cheap cans of pepper spray, from your local corner market.
My friend who works late at night in a nightclub,(you can imagine the hours,) got a can a pepper spray. The can sprang a leak from being toted around all the time. She got some of the spray on her hands from reaching in her purse and then got it in her eyes. Ouch!
I am not saying that pepper spray isn't a good idea, it is. Just get a good can of it. It is a safety device, so don't scrimp in the money department on it.

Brian G on 3/22/01 at 08:53 (042164)

You can the pepper spray in all gun type stores, and most sporting goods stores. Every state has their own regulations concerning the spray. In my state you need a permit from the local PD. As long as you haven't been convicted of a felony, it should be easy to get. Some states require only money :*) Good luck, hope you never need it!

BG

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/22/01 at 12:38 (042199)

When testing the range make sure the wind isn't blowing too much. I can tell you from my own personal testing experience it can blow back into your face, so allow for the wind. Then again I was tesing it on a very windy day in the windy city.

Beverly on 3/22/01 at 14:42 (042210)

Good idea, guys. It would be just my luck to spray myself on a windy day!
I'll send my Dad into the gun store. I have not told him about this incident because I don't want him to panic. He lives out in the sticks surrounded by redneck establishments. I'm sure he can locate a gun store.
Thanks,
Beverly

Laurie R on 3/22/01 at 17:01 (042226)

Hi Beverly ,PLEASE don't take this the wrong way . The spray is not going to do any good if the person has a gun. It might scare them and shoot the gun . Also they do have classes on pepper spray .....Just a thought .... I know you are scared ,just be careful. Laurie R

Barbara TX on 3/22/01 at 17:20 (042229)

Wow! I never thought that pepper spray was regulated anywhere... I just now darn well not to take it through airport security. You will be unpleasantly frisked!

Pepper spray is unregulated in TX, as long as you don't carry it into the airport. It is, as you say, a weapon. Here you can also get what is called a 'concealed carry' permit to have a firearm on your body. You have to go through a special course in weapons safety, complete a certain about of hours on the range, etc. Many people who get it are those who feel especially threatened, or are in the service of protecting someone else. B.

Re: Re:Texas "bubette" humor

Beverly on 3/22/01 at 18:33 (042234)

Laurie,

Since you live in the barrio, I'd expect you know more about this than most of us. I think I'll call the police department and ask them what they suggest.

My dearly deceased mother was ever ready for a bugular. At the risk of perpetutating the Texas Bubba and Bubbette fable, here goes. My Dad is a weekend bubba. He has a gun collection that goes all the way back to some distant relative in the days of gunpowder. He's especially fond of shotguns. One time when he was out-of-town and my mother was home alone, she heard noises in the backyard... She stepped out on the back porch in her nightgown & flaming red Texas 'big hair' coiffed in a hair net, holding Dad's shotgun and hollared to the top of her lungs, 'I've got a loaded double barrel shotgun aimed and ready for you!' With that, she heard scampering and saw feet going over the fence fleeing from her shotgun! It's a good thing she didn't try to shoot it, because the kick would have knocked her flat on her butt!

But as I said, I don't own a gun. But this pepper spray is something worth investigating.
Beverly