Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just had my Surgery!!!!

Posted by Pam R. on 3/21/01 at 13:38 (042074)

It was done at !!:30 this morning and I'm got my foot elevated with ice and every 5 minutes out of each hour , I have to put weight on it. It is still numb,but I have strong pain pills and I'll take them too as soon as I feel the block wearing off. I was so scared and it was so easy. I'll let y'all know how I'm doing tomorrow. Love you guys, Pam

Re: Just had my Surgery!!!!

Terry T. on 3/21/01 at hrmin (042084)

Glad to hear it!! I felt the same way you did. My surgery was one week ago and I was so scared but when it was over I wondered what I had been so scared of. It was a breeze!! Keep that ice on there and take a pain pill BEFORE you feel the block wearing off, that way it will already be in your system and start to work even before you feel pain. That's what my Dr told me to do, but of course do as your Dr says. Once the block wore off I had some pain but it was bearable. Nothing excrutiating. Hang in there and keep us posted. Terry

GinaC on 3/21/01 at 18:14 (042105)

Congratulations, Pam! Hope your recovery is just as smooth and easy as your surgery was. I know I felt great relief right after surgery on 3/15 and now I'm just trying to be patient. Keep in touch. Gina

Brian G on 3/22/01 at 09:15 (042169)

Hi Pam,

Hope your doing OK today. Terry ir right about the pain meds. It's much easier to keep your pain in check if you start taking your meds early, and keep taking them as prescribed. Don't wait until you feel the pain before taking a pill, it's much harder to play catch up. Good luck

BG

Susan U on 3/22/01 at 10:41 (042184)

I can't believe you're on the computer only hours after your surgery! Was it done in a hospital? How did you get home so fast? You're the first one I've read that mentioned putting weight on your foot right after surgery. I've been told 2 or more weeks totally non-weight bearing. What do the rest of you think of this? Keep us informed and good luck w/your recovery. I'm scheduled for April 11 and I can't wait!

Betsy S on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042560)

I had my surgery 1 week ago today. I was told that I only would need crutches for 1 week, but I can't put any weight on my foot at all. How long should I expect to be on crutches?

Terry T. on 3/21/01 at hrmin (042084)

Glad to hear it!! I felt the same way you did. My surgery was one week ago and I was so scared but when it was over I wondered what I had been so scared of. It was a breeze!! Keep that ice on there and take a pain pill BEFORE you feel the block wearing off, that way it will already be in your system and start to work even before you feel pain. That's what my Dr told me to do, but of course do as your Dr says. Once the block wore off I had some pain but it was bearable. Nothing excrutiating. Hang in there and keep us posted. Terry

GinaC on 3/21/01 at 18:14 (042105)

Congratulations, Pam! Hope your recovery is just as smooth and easy as your surgery was. I know I felt great relief right after surgery on 3/15 and now I'm just trying to be patient. Keep in touch. Gina

Brian G on 3/22/01 at 09:15 (042169)

Hi Pam,

Hope your doing OK today. Terry ir right about the pain meds. It's much easier to keep your pain in check if you start taking your meds early, and keep taking them as prescribed. Don't wait until you feel the pain before taking a pill, it's much harder to play catch up. Good luck

BG

Susan U on 3/22/01 at 10:41 (042184)

I can't believe you're on the computer only hours after your surgery! Was it done in a hospital? How did you get home so fast? You're the first one I've read that mentioned putting weight on your foot right after surgery. I've been told 2 or more weeks totally non-weight bearing. What do the rest of you think of this? Keep us informed and good luck w/your recovery. I'm scheduled for April 11 and I can't wait!

Betsy S on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042560)

I had my surgery 1 week ago today. I was told that I only would need crutches for 1 week, but I can't put any weight on my foot at all. How long should I expect to be on crutches?