Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Flat-footed" Feeling

Posted by Brenda G. on 3/21/01 at 14:18 (042077)

I've had PF since Sept 2000. I've seen in this order- GP, Orthopedic, and Podiatrist. I have been told that I've torn the fascia (or ligaments) off the heel bone and actually have a stress fracture in right heel. I've basically come through it all and my pain has tremendously decreased. My biggest concern now is that I still cannot walk more than a few feet. I feel 'flat footed', with no spring or support in the arch area. I've been wearing Birkenstocks and am now ordering orthotics. When I ask my doctors about this flat footed feeling, is it normal? will it get better? and will I someday be able to walk 3 to 4 miles a day as I use to enjoy?, they do not seem to understand what I am talking about. Do you have a understanding of this and can you give me reassurance? Thanks.

Re: "Flat-footed" Feeling

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/21/01 at 19:56 (042118)

Well is the arch flat or not that is the question and you deserve the answer.

A torn plantar fascia off of the heel can cause arch pain and a drop in the arch.

Either they give you the answer or you must go and find out from another doctor.

Brenda G. on 3/21/01 at 23:48 (042138)

Thanks so much for the reply. If the arch has dropped, is there any treatment? Again, I guess I'm looking for reassurance that I, one day, will be able to return to a more normal life. I'm a pharmacist, work 12-13 hour days standing on my feet. I do alright standing at the counter but am very uncomfortable walking to help a customer find a product. And as I said, impossible to participate in any hobbies that involve walking. Again, thank you for your help. Brenda G.

Julie on 3/22/01 at hrmin (042151)

Hi Brenda

Read the Heel Pain Book. In part 2 you'll find a section on Taping. Taping supports the arch and gives the fascia a chance to rest and heal. It also relieves the pain. I'm sorry I can't post in more detail right now - I've got to go out! But the Book, and previous posts on taping (use the search facility) will tell you what you need to know. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me - I've found taping a great help.

I hope this gives you some relief. A Futuro ankle support (also supports the arch) might be right there on a shelf next to you!

Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/21/01 at 19:56 (042118)

Well is the arch flat or not that is the question and you deserve the answer.

A torn plantar fascia off of the heel can cause arch pain and a drop in the arch.

Either they give you the answer or you must go and find out from another doctor.

Brenda G. on 3/21/01 at 23:48 (042138)

Thanks so much for the reply. If the arch has dropped, is there any treatment? Again, I guess I'm looking for reassurance that I, one day, will be able to return to a more normal life. I'm a pharmacist, work 12-13 hour days standing on my feet. I do alright standing at the counter but am very uncomfortable walking to help a customer find a product. And as I said, impossible to participate in any hobbies that involve walking. Again, thank you for your help. Brenda G.

Julie on 3/22/01 at hrmin (042151)

Hi Brenda

Read the Heel Pain Book. In part 2 you'll find a section on Taping. Taping supports the arch and gives the fascia a chance to rest and heal. It also relieves the pain. I'm sorry I can't post in more detail right now - I've got to go out! But the Book, and previous posts on taping (use the search facility) will tell you what you need to know. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me - I've found taping a great help.

I hope this gives you some relief. A Futuro ankle support (also supports the arch) might be right there on a shelf next to you!

Julie