Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Off topic for sure, but I need computer display help please!

Posted by Kim B. on 3/21/01 at 15:00 (042083)

Help me! I've spent a while trying to figure this out on my own and I'm out of time and at my wits end. Here is the problem.

My computer, all of the sudden, has decide to diplay everything magnified. Which takes up more screen space and memeory, and makes me have to scoll a lot. I can't figure out how this happened, My 4 year old son was playing on the computer this morning, but he says he didn't mess with the 'picture thingies' (icons). That may be the case however. But he seemed sincere enough.

I've gone into the control panel and tried to change the display properties, under the 'effects' tab there is a toggle option in a Visual Effects box to check an option to 'use large icons' BUT it wasn't
checked. I checked it anyway thinking if this was it, I could toggle it back and things would get smaller but no such luck. It won't hold the change because the dialog box is so big that if there is an 'apply' button, I can't get to it because it's too far down.

The only other factor I can think of to add is that while he was playing with a cd rom computer game, the computer froze up, and I had to hard boot to get everyting going again.

Somewhere a setting is glitched and changed, but I don't know exaclty where or how to toggle it back. It's more like EVERYTHING is magnified and bigger. Not just the icons, so I may not be looking in the right area.

Have any of you ever ran across this problem? Does, anyone know what I'm referring to, or, have any suggestions or ideas? I tried shutting it all down again, the right way, and restarting in hopes that it would default to the other settings, but it continues to display in this oversized - magnified version.

HELP! you can email me at: nuggetsninny@hotmail.com , or, post the answer here and I'll check back.

Sincerely, Kim B.

Re: Off topic for sure, but I need computer display help please!

Nancy N on 3/21/01 at 15:55 (042090)

Kim--

I will email you this as well. From your description, it sounds to me like your resolution is not set properly, which gives the 'magnified' effect. To fix it, you'll need to do the following (it sounds like you're using some version of Windows, but if you're using a Mac, let me know and I'll adjust accordingly):

Go to the Control Panel, and open the Display panel.

Go to the Settings tab, and check the Desktop Area setting.

I don't know what the original setting was, so I can't tell you exactly where to set it. But 640x480 will give you the 'largest' image, and 1600x1200 will make things the smallest. Most people use either 600x800 or 1024x768. One of those is probably the right one.

You should be able to press Alt-A to apply the settings if you can't see the actual button.

I hope this helps.

Re: Bingo! Thank you Nancy N.!

Kim B. on 3/22/01 at 08:59 (042166)

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for your reply. The problem is fixed now. That was the darnest thing! I finally stumbled across that screen area resolution and changed it back to 800x600 pixels. I can't even tell you how it got changed, except one or two theories I have. One of them is 4 years old. The other is that somehow when my computer crashed, it mysteriously changed the setting. It was just so puzzeling, because I didn't make the change to begin with, so it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack!

When I finally stumbled on to the pixel settings, I kept making the change but it just wouldn't stick because the 'Apply' button was off the display! I couldn't even see it. Finally, I moved my task bar and saw a tiny slither of the Apply button. I was able to press it, but just barely. 'Alt-A' makes a hell of a lot more sense! Here I was, thinking Bill Gates and his crew had overlooked a small detail that was becoming a small disaster for me! 'Alt-A' is a wonderful little keyboard shortcut to know about!

I was so weary or trying to figure this one out I just had to turn to the board. I gave such a frazzeled description of the problem and you nailed it girl! I guess we now know who our resident computer expert is!

Thanks for the boards indulgence of my predicament. Scott, I'd be happy to check a box to keep this discussion out of the archives if I could fine a box to check. :-)

Regards, Kim

Nancy N on 3/22/01 at 10:09 (042180)

You're quite welcome. I work in tech support, so I see this sort of thing a lot. Any number of things could have caused it--probably not worth worrying about as long as you know how to fix it the next time. You can never be too careful with that sneaky Bill Gates around!

john h on 3/23/01 at 11:02 (042279)

kim: it sounds like the timing modes (resolution) on your monitor have been messed with. You should have a 'Control Panel' named 'Monitor' somewhere on your computer. Depending on what monitor you have you need to set the resolution to the proper setting to get the picture you want. For example my setting on my ViewSonic is 832x624x75mhertz. Your monitor manual will tell you what the setting should be. A wrong setting will greatly enlarge your view or make it very small. Could be something else but i bet this is your problem.

john h on 3/23/01 at 11:04 (042281)

kim you are right on. i use a Mac and have a monitor control panel to adjust the resolution. her monitor manual should indicate the correct resolution for her to set.

Nancy N on 3/21/01 at 15:55 (042090)

Kim--

I will email you this as well. From your description, it sounds to me like your resolution is not set properly, which gives the 'magnified' effect. To fix it, you'll need to do the following (it sounds like you're using some version of Windows, but if you're using a Mac, let me know and I'll adjust accordingly):

Go to the Control Panel, and open the Display panel.

Go to the Settings tab, and check the Desktop Area setting.

I don't know what the original setting was, so I can't tell you exactly where to set it. But 640x480 will give you the 'largest' image, and 1600x1200 will make things the smallest. Most people use either 600x800 or 1024x768. One of those is probably the right one.

You should be able to press Alt-A to apply the settings if you can't see the actual button.

I hope this helps.

Kim B. on 3/22/01 at 08:59 (042166)

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for your reply. The problem is fixed now. That was the darnest thing! I finally stumbled across that screen area resolution and changed it back to 800x600 pixels. I can't even tell you how it got changed, except one or two theories I have. One of them is 4 years old. The other is that somehow when my computer crashed, it mysteriously changed the setting. It was just so puzzeling, because I didn't make the change to begin with, so it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack!

When I finally stumbled on to the pixel settings, I kept making the change but it just wouldn't stick because the 'Apply' button was off the display! I couldn't even see it. Finally, I moved my task bar and saw a tiny slither of the Apply button. I was able to press it, but just barely. 'Alt-A' makes a hell of a lot more sense! Here I was, thinking Bill Gates and his crew had overlooked a small detail that was becoming a small disaster for me! 'Alt-A' is a wonderful little keyboard shortcut to know about!

I was so weary or trying to figure this one out I just had to turn to the board. I gave such a frazzeled description of the problem and you nailed it girl! I guess we now know who our resident computer expert is!

Thanks for the boards indulgence of my predicament. Scott, I'd be happy to check a box to keep this discussion out of the archives if I could fine a box to check. :-)

Regards, Kim

Nancy N on 3/22/01 at 10:09 (042180)

You're quite welcome. I work in tech support, so I see this sort of thing a lot. Any number of things could have caused it--probably not worth worrying about as long as you know how to fix it the next time. You can never be too careful with that sneaky Bill Gates around!

john h on 3/23/01 at 11:02 (042279)

kim: it sounds like the timing modes (resolution) on your monitor have been messed with. You should have a 'Control Panel' named 'Monitor' somewhere on your computer. Depending on what monitor you have you need to set the resolution to the proper setting to get the picture you want. For example my setting on my ViewSonic is 832x624x75mhertz. Your monitor manual will tell you what the setting should be. A wrong setting will greatly enlarge your view or make it very small. Could be something else but i bet this is your problem.

john h on 3/23/01 at 11:04 (042281)

kim you are right on. i use a Mac and have a monitor control panel to adjust the resolution. her monitor manual should indicate the correct resolution for her to set.