Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what determines post-op instructions?

Posted by GinaC on 3/22/01 at 08:20 (042156)

I noticed on the surgery board that several people who had open PF release, heel spur removal within the last week or so all got different post-op instructions. Some were told do try limited weight-bearing, either starting on the day of surgery or within a week after. I was told no weight-bearing for 2 weeks, after stitches were removed. I'm wondering what influences the post-op instructions that a patient is given. Does it have to do with the dr's past experience and/or training, what the doctor sees in the foot during surgery, the condition, age, weight of the patient or other factors? Or is there one set of instructions that fit all patients for that particular doctor? Just trying to make sense of all this.

Re: what determines post-op instructions?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/22/01 at 15:15 (042219)

Hi,

Well with open surgery such as plantar fascia release you need to limit your weight bearing as much as possible. Some doctors will cast the foot which makes sure that you limit you weight bearing. Other doctor will keep you non-weight bearing for two weeks.

I would place the patient in a cam walker and let them walk as tolerated so long as they don't have alot of pain.

Re: what determines post-op instructions?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/22/01 at 15:15 (042219)

Hi,

Well with open surgery such as plantar fascia release you need to limit your weight bearing as much as possible. Some doctors will cast the foot which makes sure that you limit you weight bearing. Other doctor will keep you non-weight bearing for two weeks.

I would place the patient in a cam walker and let them walk as tolerated so long as they don't have alot of pain.