Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

update on my wife

Posted by john h on 3/22/01 at 09:50 (042177)

my wife is recovering rapidly from her mastectomy both physically and emotionally. she can start swimming in 10 days and back to walking,shopping and more shopping, and nagging. she stretches daily and does not require chemo or radiation. she also allows our two cats to sleep with us again.

my feet for the past 3 weeks have dropped to a pain level of 1.5. i had been stuck at 2.0 for about a year. i walked 1-2 miles 7 out of the last 8 days and rode the bike for 30 min each day along with stretching (not feet) and weights. i continue to ice after each workout and wear my nightsplint and take an anti-inflamatory. my shoes continue to be SAS with the computer generated custom semi rigid orthotic. still plan on my 3rd ESWT treatment with dr z in the coming months. my feet are the best they have been in 7 years. hope i do not jinx myself with this post and i hope it provides some hope for those who need it.
i also dropped 5 lbs of the 8 i gained when my wife had surgery.

Re: update on my wife

Julie on 3/22/01 at 10:09 (042179)

John, that is very good news about Mary. You must be very relieved and happy, and I'm sure the cats are too. Swimming will be a big help in nailing the last of the stiffness. If she has been exercising regularly, she should be left with no lasting restriction on her movement.

Good news about your feet, too! I hope the next ESWT treatment will finish off your PF for good.

All the best, Julie

Beverly on 3/22/01 at 14:38 (042209)

John,

How wonderful that your wife is making a rapid recovery!

Oh, what I wouldn't give to have a 1.5 pain level! Thanks for sharing that.
Did you loose weight from stress and worry over your wife? I've lost weight from stress but once the crisis is over, I am usually incredibly hungry. Or maybe there was just no one at home baking you goodies!
Best wishes on your wife's continued recovery,
Beverly

Nancy N on 3/22/01 at 17:34 (042231)

John, I'm so glad to hear your good news, for both of you! Keep us posted on your continued progress!

Re: breast cancer "cure"

Scott R on 3/22/01 at 20:30 (042241)

I kept forgetting to tell john, but Clodronate is the world's first or second line of defense against breast cancer. Americans are unaware of it because it does not have pharmaceutical support (i don't think it can be patented or the patent expired). The last I heard direct from the studies was at least 50% (or was it 65%?) increased survival and reduction in bone metasteses (sp) which, for those who don't know, is often the worst thing in breast cancer because it goes to the backbone and other bones causing a very unpleasnat exit. But recently I read that JAMA or NEJM reported in 1998 that it reduced incidence by 75%.

john h on 3/23/01 at 10:54 (042277)

thanks scott: i had seen a tv review of this product which is not available in the U.S. it is apparently used to stop bone loss in patients with osteoporosis and also helps prevent the spread of cancer to the bones from the primary source in the breast. i do not know if there are plans to bring this product into the U.S.

Is it available in the UK Julie?

Julie on 3/23/01 at 15:48 (042293)

John, I'd not heard of it until Scott's post today. I'll look into it - and ask my consultant when I see him in May.

Brian G on 3/23/01 at 18:10 (042301)

Thanks for posting John. It's good the hear the positive when we can. Best wishes to you and the wife.

BG

Scott R on 3/23/01 at 19:31 (042306)

http://www.libsol.net/

I should have said it is the first line of defense in bone cancer, not breast.

60 x 400mg each costs $133. It has a lot of drugs that you can get a lot cheaper than in the U.S. since foreign drug competition isn't allowed in the U.S. A doctor's prescription is not needed. They are in Hong Kong.

Looking at Ross Pelton's 'Alternatives in Cancer Therapy': 'very safe and non-toxic' 3,200 mg/day in 4 divided doses to start, 1,200 maintenance. At least 800 mg for the rest of the patient's life.

So I wouldn't do it until I thought I had bone cancer.

Julie on 3/24/01 at 01:55 (042319)

Actually, bone metastases are not the worst of the breast cancer secondaries. Many people live with them for quite a long time. It's the metastases to the vital organs, especially the liver, that are the real killers.

Scott R on 3/24/01 at 07:10 (042322)

The amount of pain in bone cancer and that it does go on a long time are the reasons that I said bone cancer is the worst thing about breast cancer. But I'm speaking only from very scant knowledge. Rumors and books.

Julie on 3/24/01 at 09:17 (042326)

I didn't mean to imply that bone metastases aren't serious or painful, only that they don't kill as quickly as those to the vital organs. But Scott, if you thought you had bone cancer, you wouldn't self-treat, would you? You'd see your doctor?

Re: Just trying to clear things up---update on my wife

Pauline on 3/24/01 at 15:59 (042346)

Think I'm wasting my time because in the end, no one will really care that the posting 2 lines up with my name and dehydration on it is there. I don't know what happened but I never wrote about dehydration and have no explaination how it got my name as the poster and someone elses as the author.

Scott R on 3/24/01 at 23:05 (042379)

Если Я обнаружил бы, У меня был костный рак, это вероятно будет в результате видения доктора. Я не знаю в чем симптомы. Затем Я должен слушать то, что он сказал что обработки - в 5 минутах или около того, который он должен посвящать себя в сообщать меня о своем раке. Затем Я должен исследовать тему в течение 5 дней, чтобы видеть если его выборы лучше чем или compatable с clodronate чтобы Я мог бы видеть если он будет нужно дальнейший. Это - путь, который Я должен выбрать с болью каблука, но трагически, Я делал, который докторы сказали для в год и половины прежде, чем получение мудрое в игру и выбирало материалы в свои собственные руки. Я хотел бы говорить, что пациенты должны всегда последовать за советом их доктора (поскольку это - юридически безопасная вещь, чтобы делать), но мой consciI не хочется полежать или, чтобы быть, что жестоко пациентам. I guess I should get that Russian translating program off my computer. Hmm, that was a good post to. I wonder if I could get it back

Scott R on 3/24/01 at 23:16 (042380)

OK, I was able to translate it back to english. It's hard to understand and impossible in places, but since this is a touchy point, I don't mind. Maybe it was a fruedian slip in the first place. I just wish I knew what key sequence caused the translation. I thought it was just a demo program.

If I have found, I had a bone cancer, this will probably be as a result of visions of the doctor. I do not know in than симптомы. Then I must listen that he has said that processing - at 5 minutes or so, which he must devote in report me on its cancer. Then I must research the subjects for 5 days to see if his(its) election better than or compatable with clodronate that I could see if he will it is necessary further. This - a way, which I must choose with pain of the heel, but tragically, I did, which doctors have said for per annum and halfs previously, than reception wise in play and chose the material in their own own hands. I should like to speak that patients must always follow the advice of their doctor (since this - legally safe thing to do), but my consciI not to want to lie or to be that cruelly patient.

Re: Julie and water dehydration post.

Kim B. on 3/25/01 at 00:04 (042383)

Julie, this has happened two times before to my knowledge, (Once to me so I now how weirded out it can make you.) I'm of course asuming that you were posting also at about that time, and if you look at the time of posting indicators, you may find that they are at the same time. It seems to be a internet glitch that occurs when two people press the 'post message' button at the same time. It's a real tylight zone kind of feeling, I know. It's as if the two lines got crossed in cyberspace. Akin to intercepting someone elses phone call.

So, are we talking about the post that says you've been instructed to drink 8 glasses of water and you dislike the taste of water? I wonder who's post that was suppose to be?

Regards, Kim B.

Julie on 3/25/01 at 04:03 (042389)

Kim and Pauline, I'm mystified. I've seen no mix-up of posts. All the dehydration posts have been, as far as I can see, about dehydration, and there have been none from Pauline.Yes it does sound like crossed lines - but the result hasn't shown up on my screen, so I still don't know what Pauline is talking about. It doesn't matter.

Julie on 3/25/01 at 04:06 (042390)

That's interesting, Scott. I do hope your doctor never has visions of bone cancer - and that you never have the need to be cruelly patient.

By the way, I accessed the Libsol site but couldn't find anything about clodronate. Any ideas?

Nancy N on 3/25/01 at 07:29 (042392)

Julie/Pauline--

It looks like Pauline and I both tried to post a message at the same time yesterday. Mine was in answer to the dehydration question, and Pauline's looks to have been about john's wife. For some reason, mine appears both where I posted it, under my own name, and also in the body of Pauline's message on the thread about john's wife. It looks like her actual text ended up out in cyberspace somewhere. I don't know why it happened, but that's surely what it looks like.

Anyway, just to (I hope) clear up any confusion...

Julie on 3/22/01 at 10:09 (042179)

John, that is very good news about Mary. You must be very relieved and happy, and I'm sure the cats are too. Swimming will be a big help in nailing the last of the stiffness. If she has been exercising regularly, she should be left with no lasting restriction on her movement.

Good news about your feet, too! I hope the next ESWT treatment will finish off your PF for good.

All the best, Julie

Beverly on 3/22/01 at 14:38 (042209)

John,

How wonderful that your wife is making a rapid recovery!

Oh, what I wouldn't give to have a 1.5 pain level! Thanks for sharing that.
Did you loose weight from stress and worry over your wife? I've lost weight from stress but once the crisis is over, I am usually incredibly hungry. Or maybe there was just no one at home baking you goodies!
Best wishes on your wife's continued recovery,
Beverly

Nancy N on 3/22/01 at 17:34 (042231)

John, I'm so glad to hear your good news, for both of you! Keep us posted on your continued progress!

Scott R on 3/22/01 at 20:30 (042241)

I kept forgetting to tell john, but Clodronate is the world's first or second line of defense against breast cancer. Americans are unaware of it because it does not have pharmaceutical support (i don't think it can be patented or the patent expired). The last I heard direct from the studies was at least 50% (or was it 65%?) increased survival and reduction in bone metasteses (sp) which, for those who don't know, is often the worst thing in breast cancer because it goes to the backbone and other bones causing a very unpleasnat exit. But recently I read that JAMA or NEJM reported in 1998 that it reduced incidence by 75%.

john h on 3/23/01 at 10:54 (042277)

thanks scott: i had seen a tv review of this product which is not available in the U.S. it is apparently used to stop bone loss in patients with osteoporosis and also helps prevent the spread of cancer to the bones from the primary source in the breast. i do not know if there are plans to bring this product into the U.S.

Is it available in the UK Julie?

Julie on 3/23/01 at 15:48 (042293)

John, I'd not heard of it until Scott's post today. I'll look into it - and ask my consultant when I see him in May.

Brian G on 3/23/01 at 18:10 (042301)

Thanks for posting John. It's good the hear the positive when we can. Best wishes to you and the wife.

BG

Scott R on 3/23/01 at 19:31 (042306)

http://www.libsol.net/

I should have said it is the first line of defense in bone cancer, not breast.

60 x 400mg each costs $133. It has a lot of drugs that you can get a lot cheaper than in the U.S. since foreign drug competition isn't allowed in the U.S. A doctor's prescription is not needed. They are in Hong Kong.

Looking at Ross Pelton's 'Alternatives in Cancer Therapy': 'very safe and non-toxic' 3,200 mg/day in 4 divided doses to start, 1,200 maintenance. At least 800 mg for the rest of the patient's life.

So I wouldn't do it until I thought I had bone cancer.

Julie on 3/24/01 at 01:55 (042319)

Actually, bone metastases are not the worst of the breast cancer secondaries. Many people live with them for quite a long time. It's the metastases to the vital organs, especially the liver, that are the real killers.

Scott R on 3/24/01 at 07:10 (042322)

The amount of pain in bone cancer and that it does go on a long time are the reasons that I said bone cancer is the worst thing about breast cancer. But I'm speaking only from very scant knowledge. Rumors and books.

Julie on 3/24/01 at 09:17 (042326)

I didn't mean to imply that bone metastases aren't serious or painful, only that they don't kill as quickly as those to the vital organs. But Scott, if you thought you had bone cancer, you wouldn't self-treat, would you? You'd see your doctor?

Re: Just trying to clear things up---update on my wife

Pauline on 3/24/01 at 15:59 (042346)

Think I'm wasting my time because in the end, no one will really care that the posting 2 lines up with my name and dehydration on it is there. I don't know what happened but I never wrote about dehydration and have no explaination how it got my name as the poster and someone elses as the author.

Scott R on 3/24/01 at 23:05 (042379)

Если Я обнаружил бы, У меня был костный рак, это вероятно будет в результате видения доктора. Я не знаю в чем симптомы. Затем Я должен слушать то, что он сказал что обработки - в 5 минутах или около того, который он должен посвящать себя в сообщать меня о своем раке. Затем Я должен исследовать тему в течение 5 дней, чтобы видеть если его выборы лучше чем или compatable с clodronate чтобы Я мог бы видеть если он будет нужно дальнейший. Это - путь, который Я должен выбрать с болью каблука, но трагически, Я делал, который докторы сказали для в год и половины прежде, чем получение мудрое в игру и выбирало материалы в свои собственные руки. Я хотел бы говорить, что пациенты должны всегда последовать за советом их доктора (поскольку это - юридически безопасная вещь, чтобы делать), но мой consciI не хочется полежать или, чтобы быть, что жестоко пациентам. I guess I should get that Russian translating program off my computer. Hmm, that was a good post to. I wonder if I could get it back

Scott R on 3/24/01 at 23:16 (042380)

OK, I was able to translate it back to english. It's hard to understand and impossible in places, but since this is a touchy point, I don't mind. Maybe it was a fruedian slip in the first place. I just wish I knew what key sequence caused the translation. I thought it was just a demo program.

If I have found, I had a bone cancer, this will probably be as a result of visions of the doctor. I do not know in than симптомы. Then I must listen that he has said that processing - at 5 minutes or so, which he must devote in report me on its cancer. Then I must research the subjects for 5 days to see if his(its) election better than or compatable with clodronate that I could see if he will it is necessary further. This - a way, which I must choose with pain of the heel, but tragically, I did, which doctors have said for per annum and halfs previously, than reception wise in play and chose the material in their own own hands. I should like to speak that patients must always follow the advice of their doctor (since this - legally safe thing to do), but my consciI not to want to lie or to be that cruelly patient.

Kim B. on 3/25/01 at 00:04 (042383)

Julie, this has happened two times before to my knowledge, (Once to me so I now how weirded out it can make you.) I'm of course asuming that you were posting also at about that time, and if you look at the time of posting indicators, you may find that they are at the same time. It seems to be a internet glitch that occurs when two people press the 'post message' button at the same time. It's a real tylight zone kind of feeling, I know. It's as if the two lines got crossed in cyberspace. Akin to intercepting someone elses phone call.

So, are we talking about the post that says you've been instructed to drink 8 glasses of water and you dislike the taste of water? I wonder who's post that was suppose to be?

Regards, Kim B.

Julie on 3/25/01 at 04:03 (042389)

Kim and Pauline, I'm mystified. I've seen no mix-up of posts. All the dehydration posts have been, as far as I can see, about dehydration, and there have been none from Pauline.Yes it does sound like crossed lines - but the result hasn't shown up on my screen, so I still don't know what Pauline is talking about. It doesn't matter.

Julie on 3/25/01 at 04:06 (042390)

That's interesting, Scott. I do hope your doctor never has visions of bone cancer - and that you never have the need to be cruelly patient.

By the way, I accessed the Libsol site but couldn't find anything about clodronate. Any ideas?

Nancy N on 3/25/01 at 07:29 (042392)

Julie/Pauline--

It looks like Pauline and I both tried to post a message at the same time yesterday. Mine was in answer to the dehydration question, and Pauline's looks to have been about john's wife. For some reason, mine appears both where I posted it, under my own name, and also in the body of Pauline's message on the thread about john's wife. It looks like her actual text ended up out in cyberspace somewhere. I don't know why it happened, but that's surely what it looks like.

Anyway, just to (I hope) clear up any confusion...