Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone have BOTH tarsel tunnel syndrom and carpel tunnel syndrome?

Posted by Jan on 3/22/01 at hrmin (042201)

I have been a PF sufferer for 1.5 years. 6 months ago I was diagnosed with RSI (or early carpel tunnel)....
My foot doctor is referring me to a neurologist becuase there are 'some' diseases that include the overlapping of symptoms that resemble TTS and CTS. He didn't go into what those disease are.
Do any of you have both conditions? Do you know anything about what diseases the neurologists check for?

Re: Anyone have BOTH tarsel tunnel syndrom and carpel tunnel syndrome?

wendyn on 3/22/01 at 13:35 (042204)

Jan - you are on the right track to go and see the neurologist. Syndromes are collections of symptoms - so the symptoms you have in your hands and feet could be from many different things. I have been through the same ropes as you (I have more problems with my baby fingers in my hands though than the carpal tunnel area in my hands). In my case - they didn't find anything interesting with nerve testing.

There are many different conditions that could cause pain/numbness/tingling in the hands and feet. Diabetic neuropathy is a very big one, as well as low B12 - and like I said - many others. The neurologist you see will be in the best position to determine what is causing your problems - but your doctor is definetely doing the right thing by making sure they haven't overlooked a systemic problem.

Does this help?

GinaC on 3/22/01 at 13:39 (042206)

I've had bilateral pf for 4 years, bilateral tarsal tunnel for 6 months, and bilateral carpal tunnel for the last 4 months. I had CTS 14 years ago after my daughter was born and pf 9 years ago; both resolved temporarily but have obviously returned. The neurologist did nerve conduction and EMG testing on hands and feet that were positive for CTS AND TTS. The neurologist suggested follow-up for bloodwork with my family doctor. My family doctor made sure I wasn't diabetic, as that can cause nerve problems in the extremities. He also tested for arthritic type conditions and lupus, using blood tests. I wasn't tested for vitamin B deficiency; sometimes that is done as well. All blood tests were negative, so family doc concluded I was just 'unlucky' and the CTS and TTS were unrelated to systemic illness that produces similar symptoms. Just had surgery on my right foot and am now on crutches; thankfully, the CTS has not worsened yet as I feared it might. I can really feel for you and hope that you get some relief from all this. I HATE being this 'unlucky'!

wendyn on 3/22/01 at 13:35 (042204)

Jan - you are on the right track to go and see the neurologist. Syndromes are collections of symptoms - so the symptoms you have in your hands and feet could be from many different things. I have been through the same ropes as you (I have more problems with my baby fingers in my hands though than the carpal tunnel area in my hands). In my case - they didn't find anything interesting with nerve testing.

There are many different conditions that could cause pain/numbness/tingling in the hands and feet. Diabetic neuropathy is a very big one, as well as low B12 - and like I said - many others. The neurologist you see will be in the best position to determine what is causing your problems - but your doctor is definetely doing the right thing by making sure they haven't overlooked a systemic problem.

Does this help?

GinaC on 3/22/01 at 13:39 (042206)

I've had bilateral pf for 4 years, bilateral tarsal tunnel for 6 months, and bilateral carpal tunnel for the last 4 months. I had CTS 14 years ago after my daughter was born and pf 9 years ago; both resolved temporarily but have obviously returned. The neurologist did nerve conduction and EMG testing on hands and feet that were positive for CTS AND TTS. The neurologist suggested follow-up for bloodwork with my family doctor. My family doctor made sure I wasn't diabetic, as that can cause nerve problems in the extremities. He also tested for arthritic type conditions and lupus, using blood tests. I wasn't tested for vitamin B deficiency; sometimes that is done as well. All blood tests were negative, so family doc concluded I was just 'unlucky' and the CTS and TTS were unrelated to systemic illness that produces similar symptoms. Just had surgery on my right foot and am now on crutches; thankfully, the CTS has not worsened yet as I feared it might. I can really feel for you and hope that you get some relief from all this. I HATE being this 'unlucky'!