Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

which OTC anti-inflamatory is the best for PF?

Posted by Lisa S. on 3/22/01 at 16:48 (042223)

I've been suffering with PF and heel spurs since summer of 00. Went to the foot doctor last Nov. 00. He prescribed Vioxx, gave me a series of three injections and instucted me on stretching...I'm feeling somewhat better now. I wear Birkenstock clogs at home and use the inserts in my shoes while working. I was nervous about purchasing prescription orthotics because of the high cost and they are not covered by my insurance. Does anyone know which OTC anti-inflamatory is the safest to use? Doctor will not refill the Vioxx....

Re: which OTC anti-inflamatory is the best for PF?

Nancy N on 3/22/01 at 17:25 (042230)

Lisa--

I would talk to the doctor about this. Seriously. It could be that something else could bring the inflammation down for you enough to resolve the problem. If he won't give you Vioxx, will he give you something else? All the OTC drugs (and some of the Rx versions) have some side effects, such as stomach problems with long-term ibuprofen use.

john h on 3/22/01 at 18:50 (042235)

unless you have some underlying problem with stomach,liver,etc there should be no reason why he should not give you vioxx on a continuing basis. millions of arthritis patients are on it for a lifetime. vioxx along with celebrex is safer than most other NASIDS for your liver and stomach which is why it is so widely prescribed. What is best for you can only be discovered through trial and error. All of us respond to different drugs in different ways. my doctor knows if i run into a problem with a NASID i will call him and drop it. he has no problem giving me a prescription for a year. i do have a yearly liver function blood test which has always been negative.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/23/01 at 08:14 (042269)

With vioxx you can get hypertension . So you need to have both the liver function and creatinine checked. If you have some swelling in the wrists and ankles need to stop and call your doctor. Vioxx is a great NSAID. Has been very helpful in alot of my patients.

Bill E. on 3/23/01 at hrmin (042287)

Lisa,

Just a personal opinion. My PF is not severe and I have used ibuprofen and naproxen at different times. Not at the same time but I've tried both of them. I think that I like ibuprofen better but the down side is that you have to take slightly larger doses and should take it 3 times per day while naproxen is taken only twice a day. I spoke to my doctor about this and he said that they were nearly equivalent in his view except naproxen is easier because of the twice a day regimen.

I am at the stage where I can't notice a big difference whether I use an anti inflamatory or not on good days. What I tend to do is just use one on days when I wake up kind of sore or when I am sore later in the day. I know this is not exactly the recommended way to do it. I guess that I am just using them as painkillers.

But it looks like you are getting good advice about checking blood biochemistry occasionally. I wonder if we don't (often) overreact to contraindications that only apply to a very small percentage of users. But if there are easy checks then I would use them too.

Good luck!
Bill

Re: which OTC anti-inflamatory?--Dr. Z

Dona on 3/24/01 at 21:19 (042368)

How often should one be checked for liver/creatinine functions? I've been on Vioxx for 3/4s of a year now (Celebrex about a month before that), and no one has ever mentioned the above. I have to use mail-order prescriptions for any maintenance meds, so I have scrips written for 90-day supplies with refills. When I go back for a new scrip when the year is over, should I be inquiring about this? I also have mitral valve prolapse...does the hypertension relate to that at all? Not wanting to take advantage of you, but if you don't mind a few quick answers, it would be appreciated. It's always nice to know what to ask before you hit the office. Thanks.
Dona

Nancy N on 3/22/01 at 17:25 (042230)

Lisa--

I would talk to the doctor about this. Seriously. It could be that something else could bring the inflammation down for you enough to resolve the problem. If he won't give you Vioxx, will he give you something else? All the OTC drugs (and some of the Rx versions) have some side effects, such as stomach problems with long-term ibuprofen use.

john h on 3/22/01 at 18:50 (042235)

unless you have some underlying problem with stomach,liver,etc there should be no reason why he should not give you vioxx on a continuing basis. millions of arthritis patients are on it for a lifetime. vioxx along with celebrex is safer than most other NASIDS for your liver and stomach which is why it is so widely prescribed. What is best for you can only be discovered through trial and error. All of us respond to different drugs in different ways. my doctor knows if i run into a problem with a NASID i will call him and drop it. he has no problem giving me a prescription for a year. i do have a yearly liver function blood test which has always been negative.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/23/01 at 08:14 (042269)

With vioxx you can get hypertension . So you need to have both the liver function and creatinine checked. If you have some swelling in the wrists and ankles need to stop and call your doctor. Vioxx is a great NSAID. Has been very helpful in alot of my patients.

Bill E. on 3/23/01 at hrmin (042287)

Lisa,

Just a personal opinion. My PF is not severe and I have used ibuprofen and naproxen at different times. Not at the same time but I've tried both of them. I think that I like ibuprofen better but the down side is that you have to take slightly larger doses and should take it 3 times per day while naproxen is taken only twice a day. I spoke to my doctor about this and he said that they were nearly equivalent in his view except naproxen is easier because of the twice a day regimen.

I am at the stage where I can't notice a big difference whether I use an anti inflamatory or not on good days. What I tend to do is just use one on days when I wake up kind of sore or when I am sore later in the day. I know this is not exactly the recommended way to do it. I guess that I am just using them as painkillers.

But it looks like you are getting good advice about checking blood biochemistry occasionally. I wonder if we don't (often) overreact to contraindications that only apply to a very small percentage of users. But if there are easy checks then I would use them too.

Good luck!
Bill

Re: which OTC anti-inflamatory?--Dr. Z

Dona on 3/24/01 at 21:19 (042368)

How often should one be checked for liver/creatinine functions? I've been on Vioxx for 3/4s of a year now (Celebrex about a month before that), and no one has ever mentioned the above. I have to use mail-order prescriptions for any maintenance meds, so I have scrips written for 90-day supplies with refills. When I go back for a new scrip when the year is over, should I be inquiring about this? I also have mitral valve prolapse...does the hypertension relate to that at all? Not wanting to take advantage of you, but if you don't mind a few quick answers, it would be appreciated. It's always nice to know what to ask before you hit the office. Thanks.
Dona