Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Reflectron in the UK

Posted by Donna SL on 3/22/01 at 19:00 (042238)

DR. Z, and other docs familiar with ESWT

Are you familiar with the Reflectron by HMT used in Europe? I happened to call the UK distributor for HMT listed on their web site to see if ESWT was being offered in the UK. The rep told me they have been using the Reflectron with much success. Also, the price for treatment is extremely low. They are also getting an Ossatron machine in soon somewhere in England. They said they will be using the Ossatron for larger surgeries like non union fractures, but the Reflectron has been very successful for PF, and other conditions. He said they usually start out using 1000 to 2000 shocks and a power 3 level, then move up to a 4 or 5 power level, whatever that means. He also said the Reflectron cost half the price of the Ossatron. Do you know why the Reflectron isn't available in the U.S.?

The reason I called is because we are planning to move to the UK, and my husband mentioned yesterday that he may want to move sooner than expected. I'm not sure we are doing that yet, but I called just in case, and also just wanted to find out what was going on with ESWT there.

Also I thought this would help anyone who is looking for ESWT in the UK.
The name for the UK Rep is Listed on the HMT web site.

I think he said a physical therapy type person operates the machine rather than a doctor. He did mention that ESWT usually is only unsuccessful when PF is mis-diagnosed, so I'm assuming the way they have this set up in the UK is that a pod checks the patient out, and then sends them to a PT type center for the treatment. I'll call one of the practioners he gave me tomorrow to see if a podiatrist, or MD supervises this.

The HMT rep also asked me why I didn't have the ESWT done yet. I told him I improved somewhat except for a recent bad flare-up that had calmed down a bit this week, and wanted to try a few more conservative treatements,(ie. ART, diff orthotics, blah, blah, blah), and needed some more time to think about it. He thought I should just 'get on with it' and that the EWST would end this suffering. I told him ESWT just became available in my state, and also what the cost was here. He suggested I have it done if I'm going to be visiting the UK in the near future. I don't think I would do that if I was just visiting for a short time in case I had post ESWT pain. I was curious what you thought about a 'phyical therapist type person' doing the treatments, and also what you knew about the Reflectron.

Donna

Re: ESWT Reflectron in the UK

Julie on 3/23/01 at 02:11 (042257)

Thanks, Donna - that's good information for those of us here in the UK to have. Can you give us a link to the site?

Donna SL on 3/23/01 at 04:09 (042262)

Good morning Julie,

Here's the site for the distributor in the UK

http://www.logistica-medical.co.uk/

I talked to Andrew Hague. He's the distributor for Reflectron in the UK, and can give you info on who has the machine. He gave me the name of someone in Chelsea, London, but mentioned someone else in Cheshire (sp?).. I found his name by looking at the HMT site listed under the ESWT section on the Heelspurs board. I saw the site a couple of months ago, but forgot all about it. HMT also has a customer service number, and shows the reflectron a little better.

http://www.hmt-ag.ch/

Now if I can only find a good Podiatrist for orthotics, and a great dentist that is an expert in implants and crowns, I'll be all set. I keep telling my husband we can't go yet because I want to get my feet fixed, and I need to complete a bunch of dental work here, because I'm crazy about my current dentist. I think he's getting itchy, and wants to go back already. He already has his resume circulating in the UK Market.

Julie are you close to London? Just think we can start a PF awareness group in the UK.

Donna

Julie on 3/23/01 at 07:34 (042266)

Hi Donna

Many thanks for the link - I'll look into it right away.

I'm in southeast London,the Greenwich/Blackheath borders. Chelsea isn't far away - just over the other side, in fact we used to live there long ago - and if I ever need ESWT I'm glad to know there is a possibility so close by. Though I still think I'd fly to New Jersey if it came to that.

I haven't forgotten your need for an orthotist, but I still don't know and haven't been able to find out if the profession exists here. (I've been slacking, and will resume efforts.) My hunch is that orthotics are mainly casted by podiatrists and sent off to be made - the big firm here is Langer Biomechanics. My cutting-edge pod doesn't like Langer, and sends his casts to the States to be made up! I chanced it, and was lucky in ending up with a pair that seems to suit me well, because adjustments would have been impossible had they been needed, but I certainly wouldn't recommend him to you. He's too keen on surgery, anyway, and despite encouragement from me, won't research ESWT.

If you want good dentistry in London, I hate to say it but you'll almost certainly have to go privately. You'll need a good recommendation - your husband's colleagues should be able to help once you're here (and it will be a lot easier to sort that out once you're here.). We have one we like very much, but wouldn't recommend him because he's rather eccentric, and not everyone's cup of tea. He specializes in preventive dentistry, and is a minimalist, always trying to do himself out of work. He'd probably try to persuade you that you don't need implants or crowns. (But if he agreed you did need them, he'd do them well. He's recently done a crown for me, and I'm happy with it.)

All the best, Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/23/01 at 08:22 (042270)

It sounds like the orbasone machine. Great for pf and other insertional tendonitis but not used for large fractures of the leg and hip area.

john h on 3/24/01 at 10:38 (042330)

the Reflectron is the little sister to the OssaTron and is used for treatment of PF,bones that want heal. It is good to a depth of 45mm. a couple of web sites that will give you more info:

it appears smaller than the ossatron and probably less expensive.

Pauline on 3/24/01 at 14:23 (042337)

If no foot block is required with the Reflectron and the Orbasone I think we will soon find these machines being used in Physical Therapy settings.

Julie on 3/23/01 at 02:11 (042257)

Thanks, Donna - that's good information for those of us here in the UK to have. Can you give us a link to the site?

Donna SL on 3/23/01 at 04:09 (042262)

Good morning Julie,

Here's the site for the distributor in the UK

I talked to Andrew Hague. He's the distributor for Reflectron in the UK, and can give you info on who has the machine. He gave me the name of someone in Chelsea, London, but mentioned someone else in Cheshire (sp?).. I found his name by looking at the HMT site listed under the ESWT section on the Heelspurs board. I saw the site a couple of months ago, but forgot all about it. HMT also has a customer service number, and shows the reflectron a little better.

Now if I can only find a good Podiatrist for orthotics, and a great dentist that is an expert in implants and crowns, I'll be all set. I keep telling my husband we can't go yet because I want to get my feet fixed, and I need to complete a bunch of dental work here, because I'm crazy about my current dentist. I think he's getting itchy, and wants to go back already. He already has his resume circulating in the UK Market.

Julie are you close to London? Just think we can start a PF awareness group in the UK.

Donna

Julie on 3/23/01 at 07:34 (042266)

Hi Donna

Many thanks for the link - I'll look into it right away.

I'm in southeast London,the Greenwich/Blackheath borders. Chelsea isn't far away - just over the other side, in fact we used to live there long ago - and if I ever need ESWT I'm glad to know there is a possibility so close by. Though I still think I'd fly to New Jersey if it came to that.

I haven't forgotten your need for an orthotist, but I still don't know and haven't been able to find out if the profession exists here. (I've been slacking, and will resume efforts.) My hunch is that orthotics are mainly casted by podiatrists and sent off to be made - the big firm here is Langer Biomechanics. My cutting-edge pod doesn't like Langer, and sends his casts to the States to be made up! I chanced it, and was lucky in ending up with a pair that seems to suit me well, because adjustments would have been impossible had they been needed, but I certainly wouldn't recommend him to you. He's too keen on surgery, anyway, and despite encouragement from me, won't research ESWT.

If you want good dentistry in London, I hate to say it but you'll almost certainly have to go privately. You'll need a good recommendation - your husband's colleagues should be able to help once you're here (and it will be a lot easier to sort that out once you're here.). We have one we like very much, but wouldn't recommend him because he's rather eccentric, and not everyone's cup of tea. He specializes in preventive dentistry, and is a minimalist, always trying to do himself out of work. He'd probably try to persuade you that you don't need implants or crowns. (But if he agreed you did need them, he'd do them well. He's recently done a crown for me, and I'm happy with it.)

All the best, Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/23/01 at 08:22 (042270)

It sounds like the orbasone machine. Great for pf and other insertional tendonitis but not used for large fractures of the leg and hip area.

john h on 3/24/01 at 10:38 (042330)

the Reflectron is the little sister to the OssaTron and is used for treatment of PF,bones that want heal. It is good to a depth of 45mm. a couple of web sites that will give you more info:

it appears smaller than the ossatron and probably less expensive.

Pauline on 3/24/01 at 14:23 (042337)

If no foot block is required with the Reflectron and the Orbasone I think we will soon find these machines being used in Physical Therapy settings.