Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

help for early stage PTT

Posted by Nancy N on 3/22/01 at 21:42 (042246)

Dear Docs--

I was told a month ago that the pain I feel on the side of my foot, near the ankle bone (on the inside of the leg) is in the PTT area, so I am assuming that I have an early stage of PTT on top of the PF. I have not gone to the doctor yet because the doc I saw in NY (for the OrthoWave study), who confirmed this for me, told me that orthotics should help.

I am getting my new orthotics on Saturday, at long last. I am praying that they do the trick for both problems, or at the very least for the PTT because I just can't deal with the idea of a new affliction right now. But I am wondering what I should/shouldn't be doing in the meantime to try to lessen the albeit very minor symptoms, and when I should make haste to the doctor.

I have the Acu-Flex, but am wondering if I should give it a rest at the moment--i didn't use it much while I was on vacation last week, and now that I've started up again, the PTT area seems to be slightly more irritated. Should I put the Acu-Flex aside for now? Should I be doing anthing like warm soaks, ice on the PTT area, etc?

I can figure out how to treat my PF on my own at this stage, but PTT is a new thing for me, so I appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer. Thanks very very much!

Re: help for early stage PTT

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/01 at 16:45 (042434)

Hi,

Make sure that the orthosis have some extra posting for this condition. If it is mild then orthosis can be made to help this from getting into the chronic condition. The heel in the orthosis needs a deep heel cup with some posting on the heel to widen the base of your heel. Glad you are taking this orthosis step.

Nancy N on 3/25/01 at 19:19 (042444)

I just got the orthotics yesterday and so far they feel pretty good. He did not add any posting material yet because he feels that I have a pronounced enough arch that it is worth trying it without first, and adding it later if I need it. I suspect I will need something just because I don't think that these take care of the overpronation problem as they are now. I have not noticed as much PTT aching as I did before I got these yesterday, though I have only worn them for a few hours at a time so far. We'll see what happens when I'm at work tomorrow--I will be taking my Spencos along in case I feel like I need to change back for a while.

Should I be doing anything other than the orthotics? I definitely do not want this to get to be like my PF is/was. Also, I have a neighbor who is a massage therapist--I was thinking about asking her to take a look and see what she can do for me (she's been offering for months, after seeing me limping across the parking lot when I was at my worst). Does this sound like a good idea to you? I don't know if that will help, or aggravate the situation.

Thanks!

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042474)

I have found really good results with a course of PT with a very qualified therapist to be very helpful.

Nancy N on 3/26/01 at 15:54 (042555)

So would it be OK for me to talk to my massage therapist neighbor about doing some work on my foot? Or does the PTT make that a bad idea?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/01 at 14:04 (042666)

I would only have physical therapy to stretch and strengthen the posterior tibial tendon. So if the therapist can do this for you then go for it.

Re: help for early stage PTT for Dr. Z

Barbara TX on 3/28/01 at 11:33 (042797)

What do you think are the best workouts for the PTT? B.

Re: Stretching for PTT

Nancy N on 3/28/01 at 14:11 (042812)

Dr. Z--

Is there any stretching I could be doing on my own for PTT? I have the Acu-Flex, but had actually laid off it for a while because I was afraid it was aggravating the tendon. I don't know if that's true or not, but I didn't want to find out the hard way. If there's anything you recommend, please let me know. If it doesn't go away (or at least start to) in another week or so, I'll find a sports med guy around here (know anybody in Princeton?) and have it checked out. I think it's too soon to tell if the orthotics are helping or not.

Thanks!

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/01 at 16:45 (042434)

Hi,

Make sure that the orthosis have some extra posting for this condition. If it is mild then orthosis can be made to help this from getting into the chronic condition. The heel in the orthosis needs a deep heel cup with some posting on the heel to widen the base of your heel. Glad you are taking this orthosis step.

Nancy N on 3/25/01 at 19:19 (042444)

I just got the orthotics yesterday and so far they feel pretty good. He did not add any posting material yet because he feels that I have a pronounced enough arch that it is worth trying it without first, and adding it later if I need it. I suspect I will need something just because I don't think that these take care of the overpronation problem as they are now. I have not noticed as much PTT aching as I did before I got these yesterday, though I have only worn them for a few hours at a time so far. We'll see what happens when I'm at work tomorrow--I will be taking my Spencos along in case I feel like I need to change back for a while.

Should I be doing anything other than the orthotics? I definitely do not want this to get to be like my PF is/was. Also, I have a neighbor who is a massage therapist--I was thinking about asking her to take a look and see what she can do for me (she's been offering for months, after seeing me limping across the parking lot when I was at my worst). Does this sound like a good idea to you? I don't know if that will help, or aggravate the situation.

Thanks!

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042474)

I have found really good results with a course of PT with a very qualified therapist to be very helpful.

Nancy N on 3/26/01 at 15:54 (042555)

So would it be OK for me to talk to my massage therapist neighbor about doing some work on my foot? Or does the PTT make that a bad idea?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/01 at 14:04 (042666)

I would only have physical therapy to stretch and strengthen the posterior tibial tendon. So if the therapist can do this for you then go for it.

Re: help for early stage PTT for Dr. Z

Barbara TX on 3/28/01 at 11:33 (042797)

What do you think are the best workouts for the PTT? B.

Re: Stretching for PTT

Nancy N on 3/28/01 at 14:11 (042812)

Dr. Z--

Is there any stretching I could be doing on my own for PTT? I have the Acu-Flex, but had actually laid off it for a while because I was afraid it was aggravating the tendon. I don't know if that's true or not, but I didn't want to find out the hard way. If there's anything you recommend, please let me know. If it doesn't go away (or at least start to) in another week or so, I'll find a sports med guy around here (know anybody in Princeton?) and have it checked out. I think it's too soon to tell if the orthotics are helping or not.

Thanks!