Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Finally went through with the surgery,thanks to all of you on the boards

Posted by P. Ann on 3/23/01 at 08:28 (042271)

Hello to all, I finally had my surgery on 3-9-01. I had PF and spur removal. My Doctor was WONDERFUL, she has been very supportive and helpful during a fearful time. I still hate the cocky anesthesiologists that are out there. Unfortunately mine was one. I awoke while they were casting my foot and fought rather badly. But luckily everything else went well. The pain isn't much worse than prior to surgery. I do have to keep my foot elevated and iced or it will swell up and be very painful(tried to do too much too soon and found that out). My concern is the growing number of messages where they have been told to walk and exercise right away. My doctor has stressed repeatedly NOT to weight bear at all! She said I should start weight bearing at 4 weeks. My foot was casted at an angle with my toes pointing toward my face to stretch the tendon. This way the cut will fill in with scar tissue and hopefully prevent spurs again. My spur was very sharp, angled and was 1.5 cm long, & I don't want another. Everyone on the message boards have been very helpful. Hope that you are all doing well with your recoveries and that you will continue to do so. Thanks to Dr. Zuckerman for his kind advice also.
P.Ann

Re: Finally went through with the surgery,thanks to all of you on the boards

Susan U on 3/23/01 at 13:03 (042285)

Hi. Glad to hear you're doing well. Several years ago I had surgery on my achilles tendon. I was in a cast for only 10 days and started getting severe, stabbing pain in the incision area, so my dr. removed the cast and found an infection had started by one of the stitches. Anyway, I told you that to tell you this--HA HA. My foot was angles opposite of yours--pointed downward. When the cast came off and I had to wear this removeable boot-type cast thing, he had to force my foot straight. I almost fainted! The pain was UNREAL. Just be prepared. It's amazing how quickly you stiffen up. I don't want to scare you and the pain stopped pretty quickly, but I feel it's better to be prepared than surprised. Keep us informed on your progress.

P.Ann on 3/23/01 at 20:44 (042311)

Thanks! Maybe I don't want to do this! hahaha
Actually,I had a cast on up until Wed of this week. It wasn't angled like it was supposed to be, because I came to and fought so badly. On Wed 21st I got the removable boot cast,because of swelling and bandages it didn't 'seat' well. Not being used to the dropped heel I fell when I went through my doorway at home. THAT HURT! I landed full weight on my foot, then my face. It felt like my toes touched my shin. Thankfully the cast prevented that. But, since it was still hurting the next day my doctor told me I could remove it and ice the swelling. That helped a great deal. She checked it again today and with several warnings NOT to move with cast off, said that I could remove it to ice when necessary. So hopefully it won't be too painful. Apparently I have more pain right now than I should(according to the doctor) I think she might think it's in my head. I was VERY nervous before surgery and I think maybe she thinks I am still. My foot is unfortunately very sensitive and it is still more painful than prior to surgery. I don't think that the fall helped very much. I am icing, elevating and not doing much of anything so hopefully better healing will come soon. I thought I was doing well though, but I must be a slow healer. Thanks for the warning. I was anticipating pain, I just hope it's not as bad as when I fell. Did you have a spur on your achilles? I do and don't think that I would ever want to have surgery on that! Hope that your all healed and thanks again for the good wishes.

Susan U on 3/24/01 at 16:22 (042349)

I had a lump about the size of a walnut on my achilles tendon. It was scar tissue and I had it removed. I have had SO MANY surgeries on various areas of my body that it didn't phase me in the least. The recovery wasn't bad. I'm hoping this plantar and knee surgery will be similar. Just the thought of finally being pain free--after post-op recovery--is almost more than I can bear! It's been 9 years since my foot started to hurt, on and off, of course. April 11 can't come soon enough! Keep us informed of your progress. Thanks.

Donna Y. on 3/26/01 at 21:28 (042589)

Read your post about falling and I just had to write back!

I fel twice very early on after my surgery (open procedure partial PF release and heel spur removal) and I thought I would faint both times that it happened. It felt like I had ripped my stitches and the pain made me see stars. It was undoubtedly the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. It's been over 2 months since my surgery and I am still very very pleased and encouraged by my recovery. I still have pain daily, but there are times when I am completely pain free and I am very active again. It's incredible. Hang in there!

Donna

Susan U on 3/23/01 at 13:03 (042285)

Hi. Glad to hear you're doing well. Several years ago I had surgery on my achilles tendon. I was in a cast for only 10 days and started getting severe, stabbing pain in the incision area, so my dr. removed the cast and found an infection had started by one of the stitches. Anyway, I told you that to tell you this--HA HA. My foot was angles opposite of yours--pointed downward. When the cast came off and I had to wear this removeable boot-type cast thing, he had to force my foot straight. I almost fainted! The pain was UNREAL. Just be prepared. It's amazing how quickly you stiffen up. I don't want to scare you and the pain stopped pretty quickly, but I feel it's better to be prepared than surprised. Keep us informed on your progress.

P.Ann on 3/23/01 at 20:44 (042311)

Thanks! Maybe I don't want to do this! hahaha
Actually,I had a cast on up until Wed of this week. It wasn't angled like it was supposed to be, because I came to and fought so badly. On Wed 21st I got the removable boot cast,because of swelling and bandages it didn't 'seat' well. Not being used to the dropped heel I fell when I went through my doorway at home. THAT HURT! I landed full weight on my foot, then my face. It felt like my toes touched my shin. Thankfully the cast prevented that. But, since it was still hurting the next day my doctor told me I could remove it and ice the swelling. That helped a great deal. She checked it again today and with several warnings NOT to move with cast off, said that I could remove it to ice when necessary. So hopefully it won't be too painful. Apparently I have more pain right now than I should(according to the doctor) I think she might think it's in my head. I was VERY nervous before surgery and I think maybe she thinks I am still. My foot is unfortunately very sensitive and it is still more painful than prior to surgery. I don't think that the fall helped very much. I am icing, elevating and not doing much of anything so hopefully better healing will come soon. I thought I was doing well though, but I must be a slow healer. Thanks for the warning. I was anticipating pain, I just hope it's not as bad as when I fell. Did you have a spur on your achilles? I do and don't think that I would ever want to have surgery on that! Hope that your all healed and thanks again for the good wishes.

Susan U on 3/24/01 at 16:22 (042349)

I had a lump about the size of a walnut on my achilles tendon. It was scar tissue and I had it removed. I have had SO MANY surgeries on various areas of my body that it didn't phase me in the least. The recovery wasn't bad. I'm hoping this plantar and knee surgery will be similar. Just the thought of finally being pain free--after post-op recovery--is almost more than I can bear! It's been 9 years since my foot started to hurt, on and off, of course. April 11 can't come soon enough! Keep us informed of your progress. Thanks.

Donna Y. on 3/26/01 at 21:28 (042589)

Read your post about falling and I just had to write back!

I fel twice very early on after my surgery (open procedure partial PF release and heel spur removal) and I thought I would faint both times that it happened. It felt like I had ripped my stitches and the pain made me see stars. It was undoubtedly the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. It's been over 2 months since my surgery and I am still very very pleased and encouraged by my recovery. I still have pain daily, but there are times when I am completely pain free and I am very active again. It's incredible. Hang in there!

Donna