Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cut the Nerve

Posted by Chad H on 3/23/01 at 15:50 (042294)

My goodness this has been a quiet week on the message board! Maybe everyone is on spring break with their families! If so, have a great time!

For those of you still checking in, I thought I would liven things up with an interesting question/discussion:

A few months after my first TTS surgery was deemed a failure, the doctor said that another option would be to just cut the tibial nerve all together. This seemed a bit dramatic to me, and other doctors have since said this is not a good idea.

Their reason is because without feeling to the foot, you could get an infection or other problems could long go unrecognized. If this happened, you could actually lose the foot (similar to what can happen to diabetics). Walking and balance could also be difficult.

However, the prospect of eliminating this pain is OH-SO appealing! My second release was performed by a different doctor, and he actually cut two small nerve branches that go to the heel. He said that they were so badly intrapped that there was no way to release them, and that cutting them wouldn't cause any problems. I don't have any feeling in my heel, and while this doesn't bother me, I don't think it was necessary as it did nothing to relieve my pain! However, it was pretty cool when I ran a huge splitter into my heel and it did't hurt a bit!

So what do you think? Has this ever been pointed out to you as an option? Anyone know someone who has had this done? What do our resident doctors think about this? Would you consider this?

(sometimes, when the pain is bad enough, I wish I could just remove the entire foot from the knee down)

Re: Cut the Nerve

rekha on 3/23/01 at hrmin (042302)

Chad, sorry you are in so much pain.

Responding to your idea to cut the nerve, I was watching a special report on discovery channel last month. and in UCSF Medical center here in San Francisco, they are doing trial studies. They showed a lady with rare form of neuropathy, who had severe pain bilaterally. they applied heavy concentration of capsican after numbing her foot. they said this would make her feet numb for 2 years, and she would be pain free.....Her life was pure hell before, and after that she is finally enjoying being pain free.

I was wondering the same thing....with no feeling in the foot, wouldnt that create other issues? How could you drive? etc...etc...

By the way, I did try calling UCSF to see more about this clinical trial and couldnt get any info.

Re: Cut the Nerve

rekha on 3/23/01 at hrmin (042302)

Chad, sorry you are in so much pain.

Responding to your idea to cut the nerve, I was watching a special report on discovery channel last month. and in UCSF Medical center here in San Francisco, they are doing trial studies. They showed a lady with rare form of neuropathy, who had severe pain bilaterally. they applied heavy concentration of capsican after numbing her foot. they said this would make her feet numb for 2 years, and she would be pain free.....Her life was pure hell before, and after that she is finally enjoying being pain free.

I was wondering the same thing....with no feeling in the foot, wouldnt that create other issues? How could you drive? etc...etc...

By the way, I did try calling UCSF to see more about this clinical trial and couldnt get any info.