Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

icing foot with RSD

Posted by Chris B. on 3/23/01 at 18:05 (042300)

I just went to the PT for my problem with RSD in my legs. My regular therapist wasn't there, so the other treated me. The pain in my right foot was bad today- the worst it has been since my fall and leg problems. He saw me limp in and said that he would work on my foot also. I was never sent to a PT for my fasciatis. He massaged my foot very agressively and then iced it with the tens unit and then put heat on it. He told me to ice it tonight also. My question is, should I ice this foot since I have the RSD in my leg? Thankfully, my feet have not been too much of a problem in the last 4 months and I continue to wear my birks, but can't wear the night splint because of my leg. I just don't want this problem to get out of hand. I don't think I could handle the RSD and my plantar fasciatis flared up. You would think with all of the meds that I take that I wouldn't feel a thing!

Re: icing foot with RSD

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042473)

I have never heard that icing is a contraindication to RSD. In fact, maybe it would help to break the pain cycle.

I did get an insurance company tell us that ESW was containdicated with RSD! I'm not sure where or how they decided that. Has anyone ever heard this???

Re: icing foot with RSD

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042473)

I have never heard that icing is a contraindication to RSD. In fact, maybe it would help to break the pain cycle.

I did get an insurance company tell us that ESW was containdicated with RSD! I'm not sure where or how they decided that. Has anyone ever heard this???