Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dehydration

Posted by Julie on 3/24/01 at 02:04 (042320)

There were a few posts recently about dehydration, and the importance of not being dehydrated. I've never liked drinking water, and have never drunk enough, but am trying now to remedy that situation with the prescribed eight glasses a day. Not easy when you're not used to it, and I need a fix of solid information to bolster my efforts! Can anybody point me in the direction of a good website (one that gives more than basic information about the effects of dehydration on the tissues)?

Thanks!

Julie

Re: Dehydration

Mike W on 3/24/01 at 10:27 (042329)

Hello Julie,

I agree with you that being properly hydrated is important. I was taught that for every cup of coffee, soft drink, or beer you consume that you should add 2 additional glasses of spring water because these promote dehydration. There is another rule of thumb regarding additional hydration
required if you are exercising or if you live in a hot climate but I can't remember the exact amounts.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike W

wendyn on 3/24/01 at 10:58 (042333)

Julie - I find it a lot easier to get enough water if I always have a water bottle with me. Espcially in the car and at work. I find that I like room temp water better (I don't know why) and I prefer spring water to tap water. If you find water too boring - throw a few slices of lemon in, or have hot water and lemon. You also could try carbonated water for something different. It's just a matter of finding what makes it easier for you and then having it become part of your routine.

Julie on 3/24/01 at 12:24 (042334)

Thanks, Mike and Wendy. Wendy, I've already adopted your method - I've got a 1 1/2 litre bottle of Volvic beside me on my desk as we speak, and acquired a case of it this morning. I spend so much time at the computer that there's no way I'd get enough water if I had to make a trip to the kitchen for it: I'd never do it.

I do find plain water boring - but I'm learning to love it. Trying, anyway. Knowing it's doing me good helps, but the only real difference I've noticed so far is the escalation of trips to the loo. I'm told this changes as the tissues begin to absorb the water - hope so.

Websites, anyone?

Nancy N on 3/24/01 at 15:52 (042343)

Julie--

I stopped drinking soda last month (except for the occasional indulgence) and have been drinking more water as a result. I really like a lemon, or sometimes a lime, in my water, and I may start playing with the idea of fizzy waters like Perrier for something different.

I heard once that if you don't have to go to the loo at least once per hour, and once in the middle of the night, that you're dehydrated. I drink a lot, so I end up going a lot. Those ads for the 'overactive bladder' drugs have me confused, though, since they say you're a candidate for their drug if you go more than 8 times in 24 hours...which doesn't sound like a whole lot to me. Anybody have any info on that?

Anyway, I just did a quick search on Google, using 'effects dehydration tissues' as my search terms. Here's some of what came up, from some interesting sources:

http://www.nfpt.com/Library/Articles/dehyd.html (from a personal trainer magazine)
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/medicine/dangersdehydration.shtml (from a diving perspective, but still interesting)
http://www.orst.edu/ncaa/nutrition/liquid.html (student/sports nutrition focus)
http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/news/nw_053100.html (a water-related site)
http://www.aces.edu/department/extcomm/publications/he/he-749/he-749.html (this one has good info on how much to drink during different activities and other charts. It also gives tips for monitoring your hydration).

I hope this helps--you can find more on Google if you're interested (though a lot of them seem to have something to do with frogs, of all things!!)

Re: Dehydration I never wrote this stuff?????

Pauline on 3/24/01 at 15:54 (042344)

Don't know what happened here but I never wrote on Dehydration.

Nancy N on 3/24/01 at 15:55 (042345)

Pauline--

It looks like our posts got confused somehow--I posted my message on the treatments/symptoms board, in response to a completely different thread. Maybe we both hit the Post Message button at the same time?? It's very strange.

john h on 3/24/01 at 20:05 (042363)

if you had to go to the bathroom 8 times in 24 hours you would be in big trouble flying fighter aircraft since with refueling in flight you better be able to go at least 8 hours or your pressurized flight suit might become wet.

Re: Fruit-water! and over-active bladder.

Kim B. on 3/24/01 at 22:01 (042374)

When I was at LasPalmas Resort in Palm Springs last Feb. In the spa area, they had the extra large beverage dispensors of fresh, clear, ice water, with a generous amount of orange slices (wheels) floating at the top. Ther were alway cups close by and it was always fresh looking and inviting. (You know, for water). They called it 'Fruit-water' and they had these everywhere you looked in the health club and spa areas.

This thread reminded me of that, and my plans to make a habit of putting together a lot of ice, some orange slices and a little water in a large pitcher and let them pretty much melt and marinade as the day wears on. Definately a good idea for the summertime ahead. Lemons, limes sound good too. I may make one with all three citris fruits thrown in at the same time and see how that tastes. (Would a table spoon of sugar be a bad thing to add? I'm tempted.) Surely in that ratio it wouldn't do anything other than remove a little tartness.

I agree that making the water easily accessable is important. I have sparketts water delivered to our house because Texas tap water is pretty rank. I also have them drop off a case of the small water bottles and find that if they are as convenient as colas and such, I'm more likely to grab one of those on my way out the door. The sports bottle tops make a lot of sense because you don't spill it very much. They are great for the car, because, like Wendyn, I drink water at all temperatures. Cold, room temp, warmed by the sun. It's all good. The main thing is make it as easy and accessible as other drinks and you will drink a lot more of it.

Your bladder will probably stretch out and become more durable as time goes by. btw, I used to have to take the Detrol for overactive bladder problems. The issue with 'over-active badder' is the constant urge to go even when there is only a little bit of urine to let out. The medicine helps stop the bladder from spasming everytime it has a small amount in it, and allow the trips to the loo to be less frequent and more productive. Hopefully, this short explaination will help some of you understand over-active bladder syndrome, also called 'spastic bladder' or irritable sometimes. That, and IBS, (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) are common in sufferers of FM.

Regards, Kim B,

Nancy N on 3/24/01 at 22:25 (042376)

Kim--

Thanks for the fruit water suggestion--it sounds like a good one, and something easy to do. Also, thanks for the Detrol info--that is definitely not what happens with me, so I will assume that I am OK :) I bear in mind how much water I drink if I am going to something like a street fair, but then, while I don't have to find the loo, I do have to worry about getting a headache because I haven't had enough to drink. So it is a delicate balance with me, and one that I didn't notice until I started trying to drink more water. I get the headaches more on the weekends because I forget that I need to drink some water in the mornings--during the week, I have a Brita fill-and-go bottle on my desk and drink all the time.

Anyway, thanks again for the explanation.

Julie on 3/25/01 at 03:57 (042388)

Thanks, everyone! Lovely fruit-water idea, Kim. And Nancy, the websites look good: just what I wanted to bolster my determination. John, I don't think I could be a fighter pilot. It's enough of the challenge (loo-wise) teaching a two hour yoga class these days.

I've just downed my first half-litre of the day, and think I'm beginning to get used to it.

All the best

Julie

Beth D. on 3/25/01 at 07:21 (042391)

Hi Julie,

For what it's worth I read that drinking one ounce of water for each pound you weigh works pretty good. I also read that using a pretty big cup (I use a 16 oz. one) and putting as many rubber bands around it as you need helps you count. Every time you finish a cup, you take off a rubber band. Also, I drink a few cups of herbal tea-hot and cold and I think this counts as water. I aslo try to drink more of my water before 5PM so I don't have to get up at night more than once and deal with my night splint.

I really notice it now when I don't drink enough water. I feel much better the days I do. Enjoy!

Beth

Julie on 3/25/01 at 07:30 (042393)

Hi Beth

Thanks for all these good ideas. I like the rubber bands!

At 1 oz per pound of weight I would have to drink almost 4 litres of water a day (I weigh 130 pounds). Can that be right? I don't think I can manage that!*

john h on 3/25/01 at 13:10 (042412)

the amount of water we each need daily varies considerably from person to person. those engaged in strenuous sports would do well to consume some of the sports drinks. following site gives an indication of what one might need for daily consumption:

http://www.naturodoc.com/WAATER.php3

Beth D. on 3/25/01 at 18:44 (042441)

Hi Julie,

It's only 8 rubber bands around a 16oz. cup! You could always work up to this amount, too. By the way, watermelon is like 90% water-makes a nice snack in the summer.

john h on 3/26/01 at 09:39 (042499)

the formula i read indiacates you should dring 50% - 75% of your body weight in ounces depending on your life style. if you weigh 100lb and are sedenitary then you would drink 50 oz. if your were moderiately active you would dring 75 oz. dry climate or extreme sports could change all this. If you weighed 200 lb all this would double.

Re: More benefits of water consumption for Julie and others.

Kim B. on 3/27/01 at 00:12 (042601)

Another benefit of drinking lots of water is that your skin, particularly your face and complexion, will look clearer, more radient, and more healthy. These benefits may take a few weeks to see. But, I've always heard that drinkin water is great for your complexion.

It is also very good for your kidneys as it helps to dilute and flush out the toxins and stuff that can be harmful. Kindney's are in the low back, so your low back may feel better too, that is, if you have any low back pain or discomfort.

I was once told that 'water flushes water' so, if water retention is ever a problem, such an increase in water may help you to retain less water.

As a hoga teacher, I would assume that having a water bottle, fillel with delicious, chilled, good, clean water would be Ok to have up there with you. I've taken yoga classes where this was even the norm and was encouraged by the instructor. The teacher and students, all had water bottles within' reach. Those were great classes btw, because I didn't spend the final 10 minutes of class wishing that I could go get a drink of wather.

And so, after reading the other posts, these little tid-bits of information jump into my head.

Good, clean, water is a precrious thing to have, Enjoy!

Btw, on last quick response:, scientifically, I believe we, as humans, are made-up of 90% water.

Kim B.

Mike W on 3/24/01 at 10:27 (042329)

Hello Julie,

I agree with you that being properly hydrated is important. I was taught that for every cup of coffee, soft drink, or beer you consume that you should add 2 additional glasses of spring water because these promote dehydration. There is another rule of thumb regarding additional hydration
required if you are exercising or if you live in a hot climate but I can't remember the exact amounts.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike W

wendyn on 3/24/01 at 10:58 (042333)

Julie - I find it a lot easier to get enough water if I always have a water bottle with me. Espcially in the car and at work. I find that I like room temp water better (I don't know why) and I prefer spring water to tap water. If you find water too boring - throw a few slices of lemon in, or have hot water and lemon. You also could try carbonated water for something different. It's just a matter of finding what makes it easier for you and then having it become part of your routine.

Julie on 3/24/01 at 12:24 (042334)

Thanks, Mike and Wendy. Wendy, I've already adopted your method - I've got a 1 1/2 litre bottle of Volvic beside me on my desk as we speak, and acquired a case of it this morning. I spend so much time at the computer that there's no way I'd get enough water if I had to make a trip to the kitchen for it: I'd never do it.

I do find plain water boring - but I'm learning to love it. Trying, anyway. Knowing it's doing me good helps, but the only real difference I've noticed so far is the escalation of trips to the loo. I'm told this changes as the tissues begin to absorb the water - hope so.

Websites, anyone?

Nancy N on 3/24/01 at 15:52 (042343)

Julie--

I stopped drinking soda last month (except for the occasional indulgence) and have been drinking more water as a result. I really like a lemon, or sometimes a lime, in my water, and I may start playing with the idea of fizzy waters like Perrier for something different.

I heard once that if you don't have to go to the loo at least once per hour, and once in the middle of the night, that you're dehydrated. I drink a lot, so I end up going a lot. Those ads for the 'overactive bladder' drugs have me confused, though, since they say you're a candidate for their drug if you go more than 8 times in 24 hours...which doesn't sound like a whole lot to me. Anybody have any info on that?

Anyway, I just did a quick search on Google, using 'effects dehydration tissues' as my search terms. Here's some of what came up, from some interesting sources:

http://www.nfpt.com/Library/Articles/dehyd.html (from a personal trainer magazine)
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/medicine/dangersdehydration.shtml (from a diving perspective, but still interesting)
http://www.orst.edu/ncaa/nutrition/liquid.html (student/sports nutrition focus)
http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/news/nw_053100.html (a water-related site)
http://www.aces.edu/department/extcomm/publications/he/he-749/he-749.html (this one has good info on how much to drink during different activities and other charts. It also gives tips for monitoring your hydration).

I hope this helps--you can find more on Google if you're interested (though a lot of them seem to have something to do with frogs, of all things!!)

Pauline on 3/24/01 at 15:54 (042344)

Don't know what happened here but I never wrote on Dehydration.

Nancy N on 3/24/01 at 15:55 (042345)

Pauline--

It looks like our posts got confused somehow--I posted my message on the treatments/symptoms board, in response to a completely different thread. Maybe we both hit the Post Message button at the same time?? It's very strange.

john h on 3/24/01 at 20:05 (042363)

if you had to go to the bathroom 8 times in 24 hours you would be in big trouble flying fighter aircraft since with refueling in flight you better be able to go at least 8 hours or your pressurized flight suit might become wet.

Kim B. on 3/24/01 at 22:01 (042374)

When I was at LasPalmas Resort in Palm Springs last Feb. In the spa area, they had the extra large beverage dispensors of fresh, clear, ice water, with a generous amount of orange slices (wheels) floating at the top. Ther were alway cups close by and it was always fresh looking and inviting. (You know, for water). They called it 'Fruit-water' and they had these everywhere you looked in the health club and spa areas.

This thread reminded me of that, and my plans to make a habit of putting together a lot of ice, some orange slices and a little water in a large pitcher and let them pretty much melt and marinade as the day wears on. Definately a good idea for the summertime ahead. Lemons, limes sound good too. I may make one with all three citris fruits thrown in at the same time and see how that tastes. (Would a table spoon of sugar be a bad thing to add? I'm tempted.) Surely in that ratio it wouldn't do anything other than remove a little tartness.

I agree that making the water easily accessable is important. I have sparketts water delivered to our house because Texas tap water is pretty rank. I also have them drop off a case of the small water bottles and find that if they are as convenient as colas and such, I'm more likely to grab one of those on my way out the door. The sports bottle tops make a lot of sense because you don't spill it very much. They are great for the car, because, like Wendyn, I drink water at all temperatures. Cold, room temp, warmed by the sun. It's all good. The main thing is make it as easy and accessible as other drinks and you will drink a lot more of it.

Your bladder will probably stretch out and become more durable as time goes by. btw, I used to have to take the Detrol for overactive bladder problems. The issue with 'over-active badder' is the constant urge to go even when there is only a little bit of urine to let out. The medicine helps stop the bladder from spasming everytime it has a small amount in it, and allow the trips to the loo to be less frequent and more productive. Hopefully, this short explaination will help some of you understand over-active bladder syndrome, also called 'spastic bladder' or irritable sometimes. That, and IBS, (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) are common in sufferers of FM.

Regards, Kim B,

Nancy N on 3/24/01 at 22:25 (042376)

Kim--

Thanks for the fruit water suggestion--it sounds like a good one, and something easy to do. Also, thanks for the Detrol info--that is definitely not what happens with me, so I will assume that I am OK :) I bear in mind how much water I drink if I am going to something like a street fair, but then, while I don't have to find the loo, I do have to worry about getting a headache because I haven't had enough to drink. So it is a delicate balance with me, and one that I didn't notice until I started trying to drink more water. I get the headaches more on the weekends because I forget that I need to drink some water in the mornings--during the week, I have a Brita fill-and-go bottle on my desk and drink all the time.

Anyway, thanks again for the explanation.

Julie on 3/25/01 at 03:57 (042388)

Thanks, everyone! Lovely fruit-water idea, Kim. And Nancy, the websites look good: just what I wanted to bolster my determination. John, I don't think I could be a fighter pilot. It's enough of the challenge (loo-wise) teaching a two hour yoga class these days.

I've just downed my first half-litre of the day, and think I'm beginning to get used to it.

All the best

Julie

Beth D. on 3/25/01 at 07:21 (042391)

Hi Julie,

For what it's worth I read that drinking one ounce of water for each pound you weigh works pretty good. I also read that using a pretty big cup (I use a 16 oz. one) and putting as many rubber bands around it as you need helps you count. Every time you finish a cup, you take off a rubber band. Also, I drink a few cups of herbal tea-hot and cold and I think this counts as water. I aslo try to drink more of my water before 5PM so I don't have to get up at night more than once and deal with my night splint.

I really notice it now when I don't drink enough water. I feel much better the days I do. Enjoy!

Beth

Julie on 3/25/01 at 07:30 (042393)

Hi Beth

Thanks for all these good ideas. I like the rubber bands!

At 1 oz per pound of weight I would have to drink almost 4 litres of water a day (I weigh 130 pounds). Can that be right? I don't think I can manage that!*

john h on 3/25/01 at 13:10 (042412)

the amount of water we each need daily varies considerably from person to person. those engaged in strenuous sports would do well to consume some of the sports drinks. following site gives an indication of what one might need for daily consumption:

http://www.naturodoc.com/WAATER.php3

Beth D. on 3/25/01 at 18:44 (042441)

Hi Julie,

It's only 8 rubber bands around a 16oz. cup! You could always work up to this amount, too. By the way, watermelon is like 90% water-makes a nice snack in the summer.

john h on 3/26/01 at 09:39 (042499)

the formula i read indiacates you should dring 50% - 75% of your body weight in ounces depending on your life style. if you weigh 100lb and are sedenitary then you would drink 50 oz. if your were moderiately active you would dring 75 oz. dry climate or extreme sports could change all this. If you weighed 200 lb all this would double.

Re: More benefits of water consumption for Julie and others.

Kim B. on 3/27/01 at 00:12 (042601)

Another benefit of drinking lots of water is that your skin, particularly your face and complexion, will look clearer, more radient, and more healthy. These benefits may take a few weeks to see. But, I've always heard that drinkin water is great for your complexion.

It is also very good for your kidneys as it helps to dilute and flush out the toxins and stuff that can be harmful. Kindney's are in the low back, so your low back may feel better too, that is, if you have any low back pain or discomfort.

I was once told that 'water flushes water' so, if water retention is ever a problem, such an increase in water may help you to retain less water.

As a hoga teacher, I would assume that having a water bottle, fillel with delicious, chilled, good, clean water would be Ok to have up there with you. I've taken yoga classes where this was even the norm and was encouraged by the instructor. The teacher and students, all had water bottles within' reach. Those were great classes btw, because I didn't spend the final 10 minutes of class wishing that I could go get a drink of wather.

And so, after reading the other posts, these little tid-bits of information jump into my head.

Good, clean, water is a precrious thing to have, Enjoy!

Btw, on last quick response:, scientifically, I believe we, as humans, are made-up of 90% water.

Kim B.