Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Here's the official up-to-the-minute info on Disney

Posted by Cynthia D on 3/24/01 at 09:09 (042324)

Hi, I'm back and no worse for the wear after our two days in Disney, mostly thanks to my wonderful husband who pushed me all over, even in the hotel, in a wheelchair, and our older 2 kids who pushed the stroller of their little brother.

We arrived in the Magic Kingdom in the afternoon, not a good idea because all the electric wheelchairs were gone. Also, it was too far to walk from the tram to the monorail (up a ramp) and then to the rental place. That was the only bad part. A better bet if you can't walk far at all would be to send a loved one ahead to rent an electric one to bring back to you to the transp. center, so you can get there without walking.

So we had to rent a non-electric chair which ended up being a good thing because we kept it with us for our hotel. They allow you to take these chairs out of the parks with a promise to return it somewhere. We left ours at our hotel in the end.

At Epcot, we arrived by 9:15 and they had plenty of chairs.

Contrary to my memory of my last post here on this topic, many and most rides let you go to the exit of the rides and not wait in lines at all. We went 2 years ago, and we went thru most lines with everyone else in a wheelchair (I was 7 mos. pregnant with pf), but they must have switched back to the no-waiting policy for wheelchairs. The way to do this is when they see your chair and ask you 'can you walk under your own power', I said 'only for a short while', which is the truth. If you can stand in those long lines, they will have you park your chair and do so. Epcot provided a abrochure that said where to enter all the rides and it was very helpful.

My kids kept saying how lucky I am, so the hard part is making them understand that I would wait in line for ANYTHING if I had the ability to so!!!! The ability to walk and stand should never be taken for granted!!

So that's the most recent info! Hope it helps Jill and others.

Re: Here's the official up-to-the-minute info on Disney

Cynthia D on 3/24/01 at 09:10 (042325)

I forgot to say to look for the 'hidden Mickey's'. It made it much more fun for the older kids, especially on the 'baby' rides, Small World, etc.

Kim B. on 3/24/01 at 23:51 (042382)

Thanks Cynthia,

It is good to know these little tips and trick on 'Surviving Disney.'

My son is almost 5 and we haven't been yet. Largely due to my bad health and even more so because of the PF entering the picture two years ago. We can barely go to the Zoo, Disney has been out of the question.

But now that it is under better control with the help of my pain meds, I hope we can make it there for his sake sometime in the future, before his childhood is gone. I would not be as hopeful if it weren't for the folks here who go and then post information to let others of us know what to expect.

So, let me see if I've got this straight: When we get there, there are wheelchairs for rent, both manual and electric, and anyone can get one regardless of a doctors note or visible injury, right? And, with the chair, when you get in line, sometimes the attendants will come and ask you if you can walk under your own power and a yes answer will make you loose your wheel chair, and a no or not for very long answer will get you taken to the ride exit, where you will get on the next go round. This is how I understand it, though the part about them asking a person to give up their chair and stand in line sounds a bit strange.

I know what you mean about the kids mistaking your bad feet for 'beign lucky'. I hate it that my son sees me sick, going to Docs so much, taking lots of different meds, and having to use all kinds of special gear (to make it through the day. I'd hate for him to ever accept this as normal, or good in anyway. I want him to stive for wellness and I hope he got his Dad's good health instead of mine. My worst fear is that his wife will be just like me, because that is what he thinks is normal. I don't even like for him to see me taking my medicines, because I'm affraid he will think that's what grown ups do... they take a bunch of meds, go to the doc a lot, and get a good parking spaces if they are 'lucky.'

Glad you and your family had some fun together. I hate it that the spouses and children of PFers often have to suffer through with us. In that respect, it is only fair that your kids got to spend less time waiting in line at Disney. Living with a person who has PF pain and limitations is no picnic, I'm sure. But at least in this case your kids got one perk from your condition.

Now it's back to the real world again. Btw, did you go to Disney Land California, or Disney World Florida? Also, what were the prices of the two differnt kinds of rental wheel chairs?

Thanks again for your post. :-) Kim B.

Beverly on 3/25/01 at 14:25 (042418)

Cynthia,

This sounds like a wonderful trip! Disney obviously goes the extra mile for the physically challenged. I have fond memories of my two trips to Disney/Epcott. I remember walking for miles (pre-PF days). I bet your husband got a good workout just pushing you in that wheelchair!

One thing I've wondered about... What happens to the electric scooter when you get on a ride? Who watches it and makes sure someone else doesn't swipe it?

Best wishes,
Beverly

Cynthia D on 3/27/01 at 21:13 (042729)

Hi guys, sorry I wrote a very long response to you but my computer crashed when I pushed 'send' and it didn't go through. It's taken 2 days to get it up again. I printed it out so I'll retype now, even though it's hard because my feet hurt so much, I'm not doing all the dishes 50 times a day in my house, and my fingernails are too long, and because my feet hurt so much, I'm reluctant to go to the manicurists..... my poor dog is barking, but my feet hurt too much.. . and I know she can wait to get back in, it's warm outside.....

To Kim: I loved your response. It brought tears to my eyes about your son. Yes, our spouses and children do suffer along with us and miss out on plenty because of our conditions. I wouldn't worry too much about your son, it sounds like he will grow up to be a compassioate man. You're right about the meds, though, better to not make a big deal out of taking them.

You're so right about the kids deserving a break, too by not waiting in line!!! Hooray for you for pointing that out because I didn't see it that way at all. They have missed out on so many things we used to do - museums, parks, even ToysRUs, for God's sake! But I try to keep a good perspetive, because I plan on making it back onto my feet soon, are your listening, Dr. Z? I know I'm 'lucky' because I 'only' have pf. There's always lots to be grateful for.

Back to the Disney topic, the wheelchairs are there for anyone who shows up to rent one. I went to the Disney in Florida. The rental place is to the right of the main entrance. I recommend finding a bench and letting someone else rent it and bring it to you because there will be a line. At Epcot, it's located to the left after you go into the main entrance. You don't have to say a word about why you need it. You need to get there early for an electric chair. We arrived around 1:00 and they were all gone. My husband said it was easy to push, and a few times my kids pushed me. The manual one was $20 for the day, and they gave us back $10 when we turned it in. The nice thing about the manual one is that you can keep it for your hotel. We took ours to Donwtown Disney one night. They fold up, and we put ours in the back of a taxi with the stroller. The electric one gives you more control, but it is more, $60 for the day, and you turn it in as you leave.

Beverly: The elec. ones come with a key which you keep with you so no one can take it, though on a couple of rides the attendants kept it to move the chair to the end of the ride for me. We did have a stroller stolen at Disney before, so you do have to be careful.

On all rides, I never felt judged or questioned, if anything, I felt sympathy from those who waited in line, the same vibes I used to generate when I was a 'walker' on good feet watching the disabled come through.

Cynthia D on 3/27/01 at 21:19 (042730)

Oh, it crashed again!!! Thank goodness, this time, I was able to reload what I was typing, unlike last time, whew. Continued...

Kim you asked about getting on the rides. The attendants are very well trained to make you feel welcomed and that they genuininly (sp?) want to assist you. I never felt questioned or that anyone doubted that I could stand in one of those lines. So please book a trip as soon as you can the age of 5-7 is so much fun there, as they are full of wonder and still believe in all the magic there I will be a fun family time that you will never forget.

Best wishes to you both. I'm off to trim these fingernails!! Well, maybe I'll keep them a few more days....

Cynthia D on 3/24/01 at 09:10 (042325)

I forgot to say to look for the 'hidden Mickey's'. It made it much more fun for the older kids, especially on the 'baby' rides, Small World, etc.

Kim B. on 3/24/01 at 23:51 (042382)

Thanks Cynthia,

It is good to know these little tips and trick on 'Surviving Disney.'

My son is almost 5 and we haven't been yet. Largely due to my bad health and even more so because of the PF entering the picture two years ago. We can barely go to the Zoo, Disney has been out of the question.

But now that it is under better control with the help of my pain meds, I hope we can make it there for his sake sometime in the future, before his childhood is gone. I would not be as hopeful if it weren't for the folks here who go and then post information to let others of us know what to expect.

So, let me see if I've got this straight: When we get there, there are wheelchairs for rent, both manual and electric, and anyone can get one regardless of a doctors note or visible injury, right? And, with the chair, when you get in line, sometimes the attendants will come and ask you if you can walk under your own power and a yes answer will make you loose your wheel chair, and a no or not for very long answer will get you taken to the ride exit, where you will get on the next go round. This is how I understand it, though the part about them asking a person to give up their chair and stand in line sounds a bit strange.

I know what you mean about the kids mistaking your bad feet for 'beign lucky'. I hate it that my son sees me sick, going to Docs so much, taking lots of different meds, and having to use all kinds of special gear (to make it through the day. I'd hate for him to ever accept this as normal, or good in anyway. I want him to stive for wellness and I hope he got his Dad's good health instead of mine. My worst fear is that his wife will be just like me, because that is what he thinks is normal. I don't even like for him to see me taking my medicines, because I'm affraid he will think that's what grown ups do... they take a bunch of meds, go to the doc a lot, and get a good parking spaces if they are 'lucky.'

Glad you and your family had some fun together. I hate it that the spouses and children of PFers often have to suffer through with us. In that respect, it is only fair that your kids got to spend less time waiting in line at Disney. Living with a person who has PF pain and limitations is no picnic, I'm sure. But at least in this case your kids got one perk from your condition.

Now it's back to the real world again. Btw, did you go to Disney Land California, or Disney World Florida? Also, what were the prices of the two differnt kinds of rental wheel chairs?

Thanks again for your post. :-) Kim B.

Beverly on 3/25/01 at 14:25 (042418)

Cynthia,

This sounds like a wonderful trip! Disney obviously goes the extra mile for the physically challenged. I have fond memories of my two trips to Disney/Epcott. I remember walking for miles (pre-PF days). I bet your husband got a good workout just pushing you in that wheelchair!

One thing I've wondered about... What happens to the electric scooter when you get on a ride? Who watches it and makes sure someone else doesn't swipe it?

Best wishes,
Beverly

Cynthia D on 3/27/01 at 21:13 (042729)

Hi guys, sorry I wrote a very long response to you but my computer crashed when I pushed 'send' and it didn't go through. It's taken 2 days to get it up again. I printed it out so I'll retype now, even though it's hard because my feet hurt so much, I'm not doing all the dishes 50 times a day in my house, and my fingernails are too long, and because my feet hurt so much, I'm reluctant to go to the manicurists..... my poor dog is barking, but my feet hurt too much.. . and I know she can wait to get back in, it's warm outside.....

To Kim: I loved your response. It brought tears to my eyes about your son. Yes, our spouses and children do suffer along with us and miss out on plenty because of our conditions. I wouldn't worry too much about your son, it sounds like he will grow up to be a compassioate man. You're right about the meds, though, better to not make a big deal out of taking them.

You're so right about the kids deserving a break, too by not waiting in line!!! Hooray for you for pointing that out because I didn't see it that way at all. They have missed out on so many things we used to do - museums, parks, even ToysRUs, for God's sake! But I try to keep a good perspetive, because I plan on making it back onto my feet soon, are your listening, Dr. Z? I know I'm 'lucky' because I 'only' have pf. There's always lots to be grateful for.

Back to the Disney topic, the wheelchairs are there for anyone who shows up to rent one. I went to the Disney in Florida. The rental place is to the right of the main entrance. I recommend finding a bench and letting someone else rent it and bring it to you because there will be a line. At Epcot, it's located to the left after you go into the main entrance. You don't have to say a word about why you need it. You need to get there early for an electric chair. We arrived around 1:00 and they were all gone. My husband said it was easy to push, and a few times my kids pushed me. The manual one was $20 for the day, and they gave us back $10 when we turned it in. The nice thing about the manual one is that you can keep it for your hotel. We took ours to Donwtown Disney one night. They fold up, and we put ours in the back of a taxi with the stroller. The electric one gives you more control, but it is more, $60 for the day, and you turn it in as you leave.

Beverly: The elec. ones come with a key which you keep with you so no one can take it, though on a couple of rides the attendants kept it to move the chair to the end of the ride for me. We did have a stroller stolen at Disney before, so you do have to be careful.

On all rides, I never felt judged or questioned, if anything, I felt sympathy from those who waited in line, the same vibes I used to generate when I was a 'walker' on good feet watching the disabled come through.

Cynthia D on 3/27/01 at 21:19 (042730)

Oh, it crashed again!!! Thank goodness, this time, I was able to reload what I was typing, unlike last time, whew. Continued...

Kim you asked about getting on the rides. The attendants are very well trained to make you feel welcomed and that they genuininly (sp?) want to assist you. I never felt questioned or that anyone doubted that I could stand in one of those lines. So please book a trip as soon as you can the age of 5-7 is so much fun there, as they are full of wonder and still believe in all the magic there I will be a fun family time that you will never forget.

Best wishes to you both. I'm off to trim these fingernails!! Well, maybe I'll keep them a few more days....