Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night Splints

Posted by Eagle Scout on 3/24/01 at 10:55 (042332)

I am thinking about getting a pair of night splints for sleeping as an additional treatment for PF. Any advice or comments on the success of this treatment would be appriciated.

Re: Night Splints

P.J.Q on 3/24/01 at hrmin (042371)

They didn't help me. They were a drag to put on and take off, as they had to be removed when getting up - even to go to the bathroom. Messing around with velcro boots in the dark at 2 a.m., while having the need to pee is an experience I could have lived without. Needless to say, they ended up at the Goodwill. However, this obviously doesn't mean they won't work out well for you. Good luck.

Valerie S on 3/24/01 at hrmin (042378)

I haven't tried the night splints yet, but I think my doctor is going to give them to me this week. You might want to search the message board for comments about them. There are a lot of people who have been helped by wearing night splints, and they swear by them... do your research, I think they are definitely worth a try.

Bill E on 3/25/01 at hrmin (042397)

I have had success with mine. I have a single one that I use on my right foot with the worst PF. (The other foot is not much of a problem) My PF is not severe but I can tell a slight difference if I use the splint or not. On one foot I can actually walk (with some difficulty mostly on carpet). Mine was purchased from my favorite running store (online/catalog) when I was told that I could return it within a month if it didn't work. It is not horribly comfortable being made of hard plastic with padding and lots of velcro straps but I am used to it now and hardly notice it. At first, it would wake me when I rolled over in the night but now it is no problem.

Bob G. has written extensively here about his success so you could serch on his name but I'll warn you he has written a lot!!

My advice? It depends on how bad your PF is and how badly you want to cure it. They aren't cheap. Mine cost over $50 but it is well designed and made. And they are not trivial to use. My PF isn't too serious (No, compared to others who post here, mine is almost nothing) but I am almost compulsive about curing it and getting back to running again. So it was well worth it for me!!

Bill

P.J.Q on 3/24/01 at hrmin (042371)

They didn't help me. They were a drag to put on and take off, as they had to be removed when getting up - even to go to the bathroom. Messing around with velcro boots in the dark at 2 a.m., while having the need to pee is an experience I could have lived without. Needless to say, they ended up at the Goodwill. However, this obviously doesn't mean they won't work out well for you. Good luck.

Valerie S on 3/24/01 at hrmin (042378)

I haven't tried the night splints yet, but I think my doctor is going to give them to me this week. You might want to search the message board for comments about them. There are a lot of people who have been helped by wearing night splints, and they swear by them... do your research, I think they are definitely worth a try.

Bill E on 3/25/01 at hrmin (042397)

I have had success with mine. I have a single one that I use on my right foot with the worst PF. (The other foot is not much of a problem) My PF is not severe but I can tell a slight difference if I use the splint or not. On one foot I can actually walk (with some difficulty mostly on carpet). Mine was purchased from my favorite running store (online/catalog) when I was told that I could return it within a month if it didn't work. It is not horribly comfortable being made of hard plastic with padding and lots of velcro straps but I am used to it now and hardly notice it. At first, it would wake me when I rolled over in the night but now it is no problem.

Bob G. has written extensively here about his success so you could serch on his name but I'll warn you he has written a lot!!

My advice? It depends on how bad your PF is and how badly you want to cure it. They aren't cheap. Mine cost over $50 but it is well designed and made. And they are not trivial to use. My PF isn't too serious (No, compared to others who post here, mine is almost nothing) but I am almost compulsive about curing it and getting back to running again. So it was well worth it for me!!

Bill