Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Feeling Great!!

Posted by Pam R. on 3/24/01 at 13:45 (042336)

I had my surgery on Wed the 21st. It is now Saturday, the 24th. I took the bandages off and replaced them with 2 small bandaids to cover the stitches along with some antibotic cream. I dusted all my furniture this morning, doing laundry-made my bed-took care of all my animals and I am completely weight-bearing. Just a little stiffness. I'll rest for about an hour and elevate my foot after lunch. But I can honestly say , I had one terrific doctor. I am concerned about one post , though. I don't believe scar tissue does any good at all. At least all the past surgeries I've had (gallbladder,hysterectomy). Scar tissue was a big concern. Not one doctor wanted that to set in. As soon as the stitches are out , I was told to massage that area 3 times a day with cocoabutter so scar tissue would not set in-which my Doctor says would cause problems. Please make sure you are doing the right thing, especially those who are casted. Just wanted to let you know how I am doing. God bless you all for your concern and information. You don't know how much this site has helped me. In two months ,I will undergo the same surgery on my right foot without as much fear as before. I'll post from time to time to let you know about my progress. Wishing everyone good health . Pam R.

Re: Feeling Great!!

Susan U on 3/24/01 at 16:26 (042350)

Thanks for the update, Pam. I don't get it! How can you be completely weight bearing so soon? My dr. says 2 weeks, minimum. Wow, these Drs. sure have a different view of things. Don't over do, thought. Sounds like you did an awful lot today. You may be sorry tomorrow! Keep us informed and best of luck with the rest of your recovery.

jen on 3/24/01 at hrmin (042351)

Pam,
I can't believe how fast your recovery seems!! I'm happy for you. Are you casted or wearing any kind of boot? Would you mind emailing me and letting me know what your symptoms were and what tx you had before resorting to surgery? I have my surgery consult on Tuesday after 3 years of pain in both feet and conservative tx. Thanks and speedy recovery!!
Jen

Jen on 3/24/01 at 16:33 (042352)

Pam,
I just read your post from last week about your symptoms. I also have chronic pain syndrome and plantar fascitis in both feet. I have a herniated disc in my back and I take klonipin and darvocet for the pain. So far, the only thing that has helped my pain has been a medrol dose pack and 4 cortisone injections to each foot. The solution is temporary though. Did your surgeon tell you that the surgery would provide permanent relief or is it temporary?

Jen

Pam R on 3/24/01 at 20:43 (042365)

The surgery I had done is to be a permanent solution to my foot problems (fingers crossed). I have plantar fasciitis in both feet. Soon, I'll have the right foot done. I don't wear a cast just a small orthopaedic shoe. I do sometimes over do things when I feel well- that's what people do who suffer from Fibromyalgia and Chronic fatique. You have to take advantage of the good days. I also have Dupuytren's contractures in my hands . It's similar to my foot problems. I wear a night brace to keep my ring finger and small finger straight while I'm sleeping. So far that has been working out well ,too. They do not bend down to the palm as often as they use to. I also have a disk in my back too, that is bulging. I'm careful how I lift and turn. Five years ago, I had no problems until I developed Pneumonia and Pluersy--THEN WAM --my whole body started to have problems. It hit me first in my hips until finally it was totally wide-spread pain. I take Ultram for the pain and Klopopin for restless leg and Celexa for depression. I was walking 2 miles a day and exercising on a regular basis until a year ago when the plantar fasciitis hit. That is why I opted on the surgery. WE (my doctors) and I tried everything first but nothing worked. I'm looking forward to going back to the gym this summer and walking on the treadmill and using the other machines and of course going swimming. Growing up in Miami, I so miss the ocean--living in the hills of Georgia really isn't my cup of tea. But until I can talk my husband to consider how great Florida living is, I'm stuck here--so I try to make the best of each situation. I've made wonderful friends through the FMS support group (which is run by my doctor). She made sure by sending me to 3 different doctors that this surgery was for me. Bless her heart , I don't know where she ever finds time for herself. I'm rambling so I hope this answered some of your questions. I won't GIVE UP--EVER !! Maybe one day they will find a cure. Soft ((HUGS)) Pam R.

Jen on 3/25/01 at 16:14 (042423)

Sounds like we have gone throught alot of the same things. I used to run 5 miles/day for 10 years and after running the boston marathon in '98, I began to suffer every day!!! Now, I need surgery finally...but I'm petrified that I will be worse after the surgery and find it so hard to make the decision to have the surgery or keep suffering??? Help!!

Jen

jimf on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044220)

glad to see someone having success after surgery .i have worn orthotics for ten yrs and the last year its been all done hill , alot of pain in the balls of the feet. im trying the nite splints but they seem to cause more pain. what finally led you to the surgery ? stretching also never helped it just reminded me how tight all of my muscles were. hope all is still going well . how long until the next surgery?

Susan U on 3/24/01 at 16:26 (042350)

Thanks for the update, Pam. I don't get it! How can you be completely weight bearing so soon? My dr. says 2 weeks, minimum. Wow, these Drs. sure have a different view of things. Don't over do, thought. Sounds like you did an awful lot today. You may be sorry tomorrow! Keep us informed and best of luck with the rest of your recovery.

jen on 3/24/01 at hrmin (042351)

Pam,
I can't believe how fast your recovery seems!! I'm happy for you. Are you casted or wearing any kind of boot? Would you mind emailing me and letting me know what your symptoms were and what tx you had before resorting to surgery? I have my surgery consult on Tuesday after 3 years of pain in both feet and conservative tx. Thanks and speedy recovery!!
Jen

Jen on 3/24/01 at 16:33 (042352)

Pam,
I just read your post from last week about your symptoms. I also have chronic pain syndrome and plantar fascitis in both feet. I have a herniated disc in my back and I take klonipin and darvocet for the pain. So far, the only thing that has helped my pain has been a medrol dose pack and 4 cortisone injections to each foot. The solution is temporary though. Did your surgeon tell you that the surgery would provide permanent relief or is it temporary?

Jen

Pam R on 3/24/01 at 20:43 (042365)

The surgery I had done is to be a permanent solution to my foot problems (fingers crossed). I have plantar fasciitis in both feet. Soon, I'll have the right foot done. I don't wear a cast just a small orthopaedic shoe. I do sometimes over do things when I feel well- that's what people do who suffer from Fibromyalgia and Chronic fatique. You have to take advantage of the good days. I also have Dupuytren's contractures in my hands . It's similar to my foot problems. I wear a night brace to keep my ring finger and small finger straight while I'm sleeping. So far that has been working out well ,too. They do not bend down to the palm as often as they use to. I also have a disk in my back too, that is bulging. I'm careful how I lift and turn. Five years ago, I had no problems until I developed Pneumonia and Pluersy--THEN WAM --my whole body started to have problems. It hit me first in my hips until finally it was totally wide-spread pain. I take Ultram for the pain and Klopopin for restless leg and Celexa for depression. I was walking 2 miles a day and exercising on a regular basis until a year ago when the plantar fasciitis hit. That is why I opted on the surgery. WE (my doctors) and I tried everything first but nothing worked. I'm looking forward to going back to the gym this summer and walking on the treadmill and using the other machines and of course going swimming. Growing up in Miami, I so miss the ocean--living in the hills of Georgia really isn't my cup of tea. But until I can talk my husband to consider how great Florida living is, I'm stuck here--so I try to make the best of each situation. I've made wonderful friends through the FMS support group (which is run by my doctor). She made sure by sending me to 3 different doctors that this surgery was for me. Bless her heart , I don't know where she ever finds time for herself. I'm rambling so I hope this answered some of your questions. I won't GIVE UP--EVER !! Maybe one day they will find a cure. Soft ((HUGS)) Pam R.

Jen on 3/25/01 at 16:14 (042423)

Sounds like we have gone throught alot of the same things. I used to run 5 miles/day for 10 years and after running the boston marathon in '98, I began to suffer every day!!! Now, I need surgery finally...but I'm petrified that I will be worse after the surgery and find it so hard to make the decision to have the surgery or keep suffering??? Help!!

Jen

jimf on 4/10/01 at hrmin (044220)

glad to see someone having success after surgery .i have worn orthotics for ten yrs and the last year its been all done hill , alot of pain in the balls of the feet. im trying the nite splints but they seem to cause more pain. what finally led you to the surgery ? stretching also never helped it just reminded me how tight all of my muscles were. hope all is still going well . how long until the next surgery?