Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching question. Decision to make on next step.

Posted by Beverly on 3/24/01 at 14:52 (042341)

Dear docs,

I have bilateral PF and PTT and still recovering from a torn hamstring on right leg. I had six months of PT from July through January. It took many months to build me up to doing a sets of a variety of nonweightbearing stretches. (Flex back the foot, Flex with gait belt, Flex with gait belt under pillow for bent knee effect, flex sideways, do ankle circles, do seated toe lifts.) I do all of these 2x a day, eight stretches each, held for eight seconds. I have not been able to do wall stretches. They always cause reinjury. At my worst, I could barely walk across the room. Now I am better but a long way from back to normal. (Ex: Walgreens is fine but still ride the scooter at grocery store.)

When I graduated from those six months of PT, my therapist suggested I start using therabands for strength building. (yellow) He showed me how to use them on the last day. They proved to be too much for my ankles and hamstring at the time.

Now, I feel enough improved to increase my stretching program. Would it be better to do the routine I have now 3x per day or would it be better to begin using the therabands? If I do the therabands, I'll probably have to begin by just doing a few at a time to the point of hold and increase it over a series of weeks.
Thank you,
Beverly

Re: Stretching question. Decision to make on next step.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/01 at 16:32 (042431)

Hi,

I am not exactly sure how the therabands work. Do they increase the resistance to the muscles? What is the goal that your physical therapist feels will be obtained with their use. There is so much flexibility that is possible period. Now strenght that is another topic and you need to have a PT guy take you to the next level but very slow. The idea of gradual increase of any stretching and or strenghtening just makes sense.

Beverly on 3/25/01 at 19:54 (042450)

Dr. Z.,

Thanks for responding. When I left PT on that last day, what I remember the therapist saying was that the therabands create resistance - something the gait training belt can't do, and that resistance builds strength.
One of the exercises flexes the foot back towards my body, and one of them pushes my foot away from the body, and two go sideways.

I've been debating giving PT another try. Finding a good one will definitely take some searching.
Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/01 at 16:32 (042431)

Hi,

I am not exactly sure how the therabands work. Do they increase the resistance to the muscles? What is the goal that your physical therapist feels will be obtained with their use. There is so much flexibility that is possible period. Now strenght that is another topic and you need to have a PT guy take you to the next level but very slow. The idea of gradual increase of any stretching and or strenghtening just makes sense.

Beverly on 3/25/01 at 19:54 (042450)

Dr. Z.,

Thanks for responding. When I left PT on that last day, what I remember the therapist saying was that the therabands create resistance - something the gait training belt can't do, and that resistance builds strength.
One of the exercises flexes the foot back towards my body, and one of them pushes my foot away from the body, and two go sideways.

I've been debating giving PT another try. Finding a good one will definitely take some searching.
Thanks,
Beverly