Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Dr. Z.

Posted by Pauline on 3/24/01 at 15:36 (042342)

Doctor Z,
When you first began offering ESWT your in office, you used a foot block for pain control. I remember this because other posters who had the treatment reported on how you talked them through the injections. Now you are not using the foot block at all. Why the change? What caused the earlier treatments to require a block and the current treatments not to require a block? What is causing the difference in the way treatment is administered? Are current patients who have had treatment recently still being added to Scott's ESWT survey page?

Is Norland Medical still selling the Orbasone to other doctors or are the original 5 the only one's that have it?

Re: To Pauline

Barbara TX on 3/24/01 at 17:24 (042357)

Hi Pauline - I am sure that Dr. Z will answer your question, but I wanted you to know what happened with me. My first time I had the block and felt only minor discomfort, the second time I opted not to have the block and I felt EXACTLY the same level of discomfort (I was suprised myself)! I don't know why this is. I know that I was offered whatever I wanted so that I could be comfortable. Are you thinking about getting ESWT done soon? How have your feet been lately? I know that you got better for awhile and then had a relapse... B.

Re: Question for Dr. Z.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/01 at 09:16 (042396)

Hi,

I knew that ESWT was used in Europe and Canada without any anesthesia . I knew that the orbasone was being used without any anesthesia. One day I had a patient that didn't want to have any needles, it was Katie who used to work for me. So I started at very low energy and worked up to high energy. She did very well.

From there I continued and now offer one of the folowing all in the office.

1. No needles.
2. Local anesthesia
3 Local anesthesia with either oral or intramuscular sedation.

Yes there are patients from the site that have had without needles. I believe when I first started this method of no needls there were posts about no anesthesia and how it felt.

Most of my patient are now no needles.

Pauline on 3/25/01 at 11:07 (042408)

Dr. Z,
Is Norland Medical still selling their Orbasone to other Doctors or are only the original 5 the only ones using it?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/01 at 16:21 (042427)

The original six is my count.

Re: To Pauline

Barbara TX on 3/24/01 at 17:24 (042357)

Hi Pauline - I am sure that Dr. Z will answer your question, but I wanted you to know what happened with me. My first time I had the block and felt only minor discomfort, the second time I opted not to have the block and I felt EXACTLY the same level of discomfort (I was suprised myself)! I don't know why this is. I know that I was offered whatever I wanted so that I could be comfortable. Are you thinking about getting ESWT done soon? How have your feet been lately? I know that you got better for awhile and then had a relapse... B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/01 at 09:16 (042396)

Hi,

I knew that ESWT was used in Europe and Canada without any anesthesia . I knew that the orbasone was being used without any anesthesia. One day I had a patient that didn't want to have any needles, it was Katie who used to work for me. So I started at very low energy and worked up to high energy. She did very well.

From there I continued and now offer one of the folowing all in the office.

1. No needles.
2. Local anesthesia
3 Local anesthesia with either oral or intramuscular sedation.

Yes there are patients from the site that have had without needles. I believe when I first started this method of no needls there were posts about no anesthesia and how it felt.

Most of my patient are now no needles.

Pauline on 3/25/01 at 11:07 (042408)

Dr. Z,
Is Norland Medical still selling their Orbasone to other Doctors or are only the original 5 the only ones using it?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/01 at 16:21 (042427)

The original six is my count.