Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how much ice?

Posted by Jan C on 3/24/01 at 16:17 (042347)

I am SO determined to get rid of the inflammation from the pf I have had for 18 months now.

How often during the course of a day can I safely use ice (I only use it for 5-10 minutes at a time)? I will do ANYTHING - the pain is so bad and debilitating.

I can rest - how much will be useful - but not counter-productive?

Help! I have tried EVERYTHING!

Re: how much ice?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042471)

I have my patients ice for 20 minutes of each hour after injury or surgery. I is most effective in the initial phases on injury or trauma. It is less effective in chronic situations. What you do not want to do, is leave the ice on for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time. I would ice after you've been on them alot or any time you think they may be worse. You could ice 3 or 4 times a day.

Re: how much ice?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042471)

I have my patients ice for 20 minutes of each hour after injury or surgery. I is most effective in the initial phases on injury or trauma. It is less effective in chronic situations. What you do not want to do, is leave the ice on for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time. I would ice after you've been on them alot or any time you think they may be worse. You could ice 3 or 4 times a day.