Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery consult

Posted by Jen on 3/24/01 at hrmin (042354)

Hello,
I have a surgical consult on Tuesday for TTS and PF. I am very nervous after reading all of the different stories. I'm afraid of scar tissue and not healing properly I guess. It's been 3 years of pain in both feet and I'm finally going to have surgery. I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon. Has anyone had their surgery done by ortho or have you all had it done mostly by a podiatric surgeon? I'll keep you posted. This site is great

Jen

Re: Surgery consult

Susan U on 3/24/01 at 17:57 (042360)

I had my achilles tendon, broken femur, and now my pf will be done by an orthopedic surgeon. I have had pain for 9 years, on and off. I tried 3 cortisone shots, physical therapy twice, heel pads, orthodics and now the surgery. I am very confident that I will be pain free after recovering from the surgery. Let us know what your dr. says after your consultation.

GinaC on 3/24/01 at 20:56 (042366)

I had my left-foot surgery done by an ortho specializing in foot and ankle a little over a week ago. I have been non-weightbearing and get my stitches out (hopefully) on Wed. The surgery was a PF release, spur removal, and distal tarsal tunnel release, done after 4 years of pain in both feet. I was much more comfortable and confident with the ortho than I had felt with the pods, but I'm sure that's just a matter of personal preference. I think it's too soon to tell how I'm doing, but I'm optimistic.My greatest fear was that I would be worse off after surgery; now I'm hoping for the best and trying to be really careful during my recovery. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Jen on 3/25/01 at 16:15 (042424)

That is my greatest fear too, that I'll be worse after surgery!! It's been a long 3 years in pain, and I can't imagine it getting worse. I'll let you know what happens on Tuesday...

Jen

Jen on 3/25/01 at 16:16 (042425)

Thanks for your comments and I'll keep you posted on the consult and my decision. Thank you

JEN

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/26/01 at 00:16 (042466)

The important thing is to make sure your surgeon does that type of surgery on a regular basis. Once you are comfortable with your decision, be sure to follow the post op instructions!!

Donna Y. on 3/26/01 at 22:05 (042595)

I also had an open procedure partial PF release and heel spur removed by an orthopaedic surgeon. A little over 2 months ago. My recovery has been much better than I ever could have hoped. I still have pain, but it's better than pre-surgery and there are moments when I am completely pain free. Let us know what you decide to do.

Best wishes,
Donna

john h on 3/27/01 at 11:10 (042639)

my surgery was with an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon. if you use an orthopedic physician i would suggest you use one who has a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery. my biggest concern was that my surgery would make it worse and i told my doctor as much. you might ask him if he is using minimal invasive or open surgery and how much fascia he intends to release.

Susan U on 3/24/01 at 17:57 (042360)

I had my achilles tendon, broken femur, and now my pf will be done by an orthopedic surgeon. I have had pain for 9 years, on and off. I tried 3 cortisone shots, physical therapy twice, heel pads, orthodics and now the surgery. I am very confident that I will be pain free after recovering from the surgery. Let us know what your dr. says after your consultation.

GinaC on 3/24/01 at 20:56 (042366)

I had my left-foot surgery done by an ortho specializing in foot and ankle a little over a week ago. I have been non-weightbearing and get my stitches out (hopefully) on Wed. The surgery was a PF release, spur removal, and distal tarsal tunnel release, done after 4 years of pain in both feet. I was much more comfortable and confident with the ortho than I had felt with the pods, but I'm sure that's just a matter of personal preference. I think it's too soon to tell how I'm doing, but I'm optimistic.My greatest fear was that I would be worse off after surgery; now I'm hoping for the best and trying to be really careful during my recovery. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Jen on 3/25/01 at 16:15 (042424)

That is my greatest fear too, that I'll be worse after surgery!! It's been a long 3 years in pain, and I can't imagine it getting worse. I'll let you know what happens on Tuesday...

Jen

Jen on 3/25/01 at 16:16 (042425)

Thanks for your comments and I'll keep you posted on the consult and my decision. Thank you

JEN

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/26/01 at 00:16 (042466)

The important thing is to make sure your surgeon does that type of surgery on a regular basis. Once you are comfortable with your decision, be sure to follow the post op instructions!!

Donna Y. on 3/26/01 at 22:05 (042595)

I also had an open procedure partial PF release and heel spur removed by an orthopaedic surgeon. A little over 2 months ago. My recovery has been much better than I ever could have hoped. I still have pain, but it's better than pre-surgery and there are moments when I am completely pain free. Let us know what you decide to do.

Best wishes,
Donna

john h on 3/27/01 at 11:10 (042639)

my surgery was with an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon. if you use an orthopedic physician i would suggest you use one who has a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery. my biggest concern was that my surgery would make it worse and i told my doctor as much. you might ask him if he is using minimal invasive or open surgery and how much fascia he intends to release.