Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain associated with tarsal tunnel syndrom

Posted by Amy L on 3/24/01 at hrmin (042355)

I was wondering if anyone has tarsal tunnel syndrome like I do or horrible foot pain like I do. My feel hurt all of the time unless I am sleeping. I recently got tested for tarsal tunnel syndrome but I am still waiting for the results. If anyone knows of what there can be done to minimize foot pain please write

help

Re: pain associated with tarsal tunnel syndrom

cmintler on 3/25/01 at 13:26 (042414)

Amy,I also have very severe pain in my foot unless I'm asleep, and sometimes it wakes me up hurting. I had a EPF in January but didn't help much. My heel does feel better than before the EPF, but is a long way from being well. I am due to have a TTS surgery the 10th. of April, and am hoping to see some postive results. I have talked to three different people that had the same Pod that I have that has done the TTS surgery on them and they are doing well . One is 6 years later, one is two weeks later, the other 3 years later. So I do have high hopes for myself. I do find that soaking in warm water gives a little relief, but staying off it is about the only thing tat really helps me. I will try and get back with you after my surgery and let you know How it goes.By the way my TTS test did not show anything but the Pod can push on the nerve and knows their is a problem, he has tried everything else and nothing has helped me. Good luck Amy , I know it is horrible.

wendyn on 3/25/01 at 14:16 (042416)

Claudia are you also cmintler? I am so confused. I think we have two Claudia's here.

Are you the same Claudia who had EPF just recently and is now going to have a TTS release done - and you've never had a second opinion from another doctor?

wendyn on 3/25/01 at 21:13 (042456)

Amy - there are lots of things that can be done to reduce your pain. Are you icing and elevating your feet often? What are you wearing on your feet when you are up and about?

Amy L on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042502)

Hi Wendyn. I elevate my feet all the time when i'm home. i can't at work though i do work at an office job so i sit most of the time. no i don't ice that often because once i take the ice off of my feet maybe a minute later the pain starts up again. regarding what i wear on my feet, only the best type of shoes. only sneakers, cross trainers or running shoes or comfortable shoes, tie shoes...
what do u think???

Amy L on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042503)

Hi cmintler. What is an EPF? i'm not too up on the abbreviations yet

wendyn on 3/26/01 at 13:49 (042532)

Amy do you wear orthotics? Have you tried Birkenstocks?

Amy L on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042631)

yes i do wear orthotics...I have had custom made orthotics for about 1-1.5 years and in the beginning they helped but they really don't do anything...
birkenstocks...aren't these sandals?

wendyn on 3/27/01 at 17:40 (042692)

Yes - they are sandals - although they make very ugly (but practical) shoes and clogs as well. Do a search on this site for birkenstocks and you will find more information than you ever wanted to know.

Julie on 3/28/01 at 02:38 (042753)

Hey, Wendy, I don't think Birkenstocks are ugly. I think they're beautifully designed and made, especially the classic Arizona, to which I am wedded. Cheer up - I'm sure your feet look great in them.

wendyn on 3/28/01 at 08:16 (042773)

Didn't mean to come across as uncheerful - I do like the way the sandals look (and they are quite in style) the shoes however, are really very ugly. But if they help - I'd wear them anyway.

Like I've said many times - if wearing maxi-pads on my feet would help, I'd be the first one sporting them around the office.

Re: Beautiful B irks

Julie on 3/28/01 at 10:07 (042783)

I agree, Wendy. I like only the sandals. I've tried some of the Birk shoes and they all felt and looked (on me) like clodhoppers. But a student of mine has a pair of the Footprints, and they look nice on her. Guess it all depends...

Claudia m on 3/28/01 at 15:46 (042834)

Wendyn,I am the same Claudia, I didn't mean to throw you.I have talked to another Doctor and he agrees that I need to have the surgery . It is totally unbearable today. I had a very sleepless night also. I also ice and elevate but you cannot work and do those things. I have a job that requires me to be on my feet constantly for 8 to 10 hours per day. I will never be able to work at my job the way that I am, or probably any job if it doesn't get better. So I feel I have to try this surgery. I also am 60 years old which doesn't help any. Any advise on how to help eliminate the pain will be appreciated. Claudia

claudia m on 3/28/01 at 16:00 (042835)

Amy , EPF is Endoscopic plantar facia. And it did help a lot, but the Doctor said I actually had 2 separate problems, I also have TTS as well as the plantar facia he did the surgery on.I am really hoping this surgery does the trick cause I will never be able to work like it is now. Let me know how you are doing.

PatP on 4/10/01 at 13:14 (044178)

I'm very new to all this TTS stuf. I was just diagnosed after a Neuro Dr did a nerve conduction test. I go now to a pod. Dr to confirm diagnosis. However, my pain is different from what I've been reading is your postings. My pain and/or numbness and/or burning,etc is from the metatarsal area of my foot to the tips of my toes. I cannot put of lot of weight on the balls of my feet. I am a heart patient (double by-pass) and need cardiac rehab to stay healthy, which mean using my feet a great deal. So far I've done OK but am limited to what equipment I can use. I'm recently unemployed, but still have health insurance with a decent severance pkg. I would opt for surgery if that's the cure, since I have some time to heal. Sorry I'm rambling but is know no one with this condition and I need to talk. Does anyone have this kind of pain and would surgery be the best bet?

Thanks to all.

Kenneth G. on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045126)

Referring to people with similiar problems. I had plantar fasciotomy
release and a Morton's neuroma surgery done 6 months ago. I havn't
got any better yet. My arch pulls each time i take a step and heel
pain when standing in one place. I just had a MRI and NCV test and
they confirm that it is Tarsel tunnel syndrome(nerve entrapment).
The Tinel sign is done by tapping the inside and below ankle bone,
this association is nerve shocks or tingling underneath to the toes.
Other problems with my condition, i can't tip toe on the ball of
the foot and feel pain the same when walking to every step. It is
very uncomfortable. Also, i have numbness(dull sensations) in the
three middle toes, sometimes it is hard to describe what going on
with my toe area and weakness. Anyone can relate to this episode.

Kenneth G. on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045128)

wendyn on 4/19/01 at 19:54 (045146)

Yes - it unfortunately all sounds familiar. The fact that you can't stand on your tip toes usually indicates a real problem with your post tib tendon - usually that it's collapsed. It's likely that if that's the case - the resulting pulling and stretching on the nerves is causing a lot of your pain and problems.

What is your doctor recommending?

Pat P on 5/01/01 at 08:18 (046334)

Kenneth,

Thank you responding to my message. I was beginning to think noone else had these symptoms and mine might not be due to tts. That would take me back to square one. Sinse I last wrote, I've seen my 6th dr, a POD, who seems to want to get me 'back on my feet.' He put me on Celebrex, 200mg, and prescribed PT to start. Some of the anti-infam therapys helped my good foot limitedly. Saw my POD yesterday, and he decided to get a little more agressive, so I received injection in worse foot. He may inject my again next week and watch progress or lack thereof. Best case, he will continue injection therapy, worse case he will operate. I am told he is nationally reconized for his POD surgery. It's taken me over 2 years to get to where I am now, so I'm desperately looking for some light at the end of this 'Tarsal Tunnel.'

Any replies requested.

Thanks,

Pat P

cmintler on 3/25/01 at 13:26 (042414)

Amy,I also have very severe pain in my foot unless I'm asleep, and sometimes it wakes me up hurting. I had a EPF in January but didn't help much. My heel does feel better than before the EPF, but is a long way from being well. I am due to have a TTS surgery the 10th. of April, and am hoping to see some postive results. I have talked to three different people that had the same Pod that I have that has done the TTS surgery on them and they are doing well . One is 6 years later, one is two weeks later, the other 3 years later. So I do have high hopes for myself. I do find that soaking in warm water gives a little relief, but staying off it is about the only thing tat really helps me. I will try and get back with you after my surgery and let you know How it goes.By the way my TTS test did not show anything but the Pod can push on the nerve and knows their is a problem, he has tried everything else and nothing has helped me. Good luck Amy , I know it is horrible.

wendyn on 3/25/01 at 14:16 (042416)

Claudia are you also cmintler? I am so confused. I think we have two Claudia's here.

Are you the same Claudia who had EPF just recently and is now going to have a TTS release done - and you've never had a second opinion from another doctor?

wendyn on 3/25/01 at 21:13 (042456)

Amy - there are lots of things that can be done to reduce your pain. Are you icing and elevating your feet often? What are you wearing on your feet when you are up and about?

Amy L on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042502)

Hi Wendyn. I elevate my feet all the time when i'm home. i can't at work though i do work at an office job so i sit most of the time. no i don't ice that often because once i take the ice off of my feet maybe a minute later the pain starts up again. regarding what i wear on my feet, only the best type of shoes. only sneakers, cross trainers or running shoes or comfortable shoes, tie shoes...
what do u think???

Amy L on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042503)

Hi cmintler. What is an EPF? i'm not too up on the abbreviations yet

wendyn on 3/26/01 at 13:49 (042532)

Amy do you wear orthotics? Have you tried Birkenstocks?

Amy L on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042631)

yes i do wear orthotics...I have had custom made orthotics for about 1-1.5 years and in the beginning they helped but they really don't do anything...
birkenstocks...aren't these sandals?

wendyn on 3/27/01 at 17:40 (042692)

Yes - they are sandals - although they make very ugly (but practical) shoes and clogs as well. Do a search on this site for birkenstocks and you will find more information than you ever wanted to know.

Julie on 3/28/01 at 02:38 (042753)

Hey, Wendy, I don't think Birkenstocks are ugly. I think they're beautifully designed and made, especially the classic Arizona, to which I am wedded. Cheer up - I'm sure your feet look great in them.

wendyn on 3/28/01 at 08:16 (042773)

Didn't mean to come across as uncheerful - I do like the way the sandals look (and they are quite in style) the shoes however, are really very ugly. But if they help - I'd wear them anyway.

Like I've said many times - if wearing maxi-pads on my feet would help, I'd be the first one sporting them around the office.

Re: Beautiful B irks

Julie on 3/28/01 at 10:07 (042783)

I agree, Wendy. I like only the sandals. I've tried some of the Birk shoes and they all felt and looked (on me) like clodhoppers. But a student of mine has a pair of the Footprints, and they look nice on her. Guess it all depends...

Claudia m on 3/28/01 at 15:46 (042834)

Wendyn,I am the same Claudia, I didn't mean to throw you.I have talked to another Doctor and he agrees that I need to have the surgery . It is totally unbearable today. I had a very sleepless night also. I also ice and elevate but you cannot work and do those things. I have a job that requires me to be on my feet constantly for 8 to 10 hours per day. I will never be able to work at my job the way that I am, or probably any job if it doesn't get better. So I feel I have to try this surgery. I also am 60 years old which doesn't help any. Any advise on how to help eliminate the pain will be appreciated. Claudia

claudia m on 3/28/01 at 16:00 (042835)

Amy , EPF is Endoscopic plantar facia. And it did help a lot, but the Doctor said I actually had 2 separate problems, I also have TTS as well as the plantar facia he did the surgery on.I am really hoping this surgery does the trick cause I will never be able to work like it is now. Let me know how you are doing.

PatP on 4/10/01 at 13:14 (044178)

I'm very new to all this TTS stuf. I was just diagnosed after a Neuro Dr did a nerve conduction test. I go now to a pod. Dr to confirm diagnosis. However, my pain is different from what I've been reading is your postings. My pain and/or numbness and/or burning,etc is from the metatarsal area of my foot to the tips of my toes. I cannot put of lot of weight on the balls of my feet. I am a heart patient (double by-pass) and need cardiac rehab to stay healthy, which mean using my feet a great deal. So far I've done OK but am limited to what equipment I can use. I'm recently unemployed, but still have health insurance with a decent severance pkg. I would opt for surgery if that's the cure, since I have some time to heal. Sorry I'm rambling but is know no one with this condition and I need to talk. Does anyone have this kind of pain and would surgery be the best bet?

Thanks to all.

Kenneth G. on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045126)

Kenneth G. on 4/19/01 at hrmin (045128)

wendyn on 4/19/01 at 19:54 (045146)

Yes - it unfortunately all sounds familiar. The fact that you can't stand on your tip toes usually indicates a real problem with your post tib tendon - usually that it's collapsed. It's likely that if that's the case - the resulting pulling and stretching on the nerves is causing a lot of your pain and problems.

What is your doctor recommending?

Pat P on 5/01/01 at 08:18 (046334)

Kenneth,

Thank you responding to my message. I was beginning to think noone else had these symptoms and mine might not be due to tts. That would take me back to square one. Sinse I last wrote, I've seen my 6th dr, a POD, who seems to want to get me 'back on my feet.' He put me on Celebrex, 200mg, and prescribed PT to start. Some of the anti-infam therapys helped my good foot limitedly. Saw my POD yesterday, and he decided to get a little more agressive, so I received injection in worse foot. He may inject my again next week and watch progress or lack thereof. Best case, he will continue injection therapy, worse case he will operate. I am told he is nationally reconized for his POD surgery. It's taken me over 2 years to get to where I am now, so I'm desperately looking for some light at the end of this 'Tarsal Tunnel.'

Any replies requested.

Thanks,

Pat P