Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flat Foot and heel pain

Posted by Lori H on 3/24/01 at 18:06 (042361)

I have totally flat feet, with no sense of an arch at all. In the last 2 months I have had some serious heel pain, especially in the left inner part of my ankle-to-heel bone. I got New Balance shoes, since people suggested them, and the pain is no better. I also have very cold feet which do not warm up even when wearing socks. I broke my left ankle approx 10 months ago and while it is still sore, the pain in my heel is getting unbearable. HELP

Re: Flat Foot and heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/01 at 10:00 (042398)

Hi,

Flat feet with excessive motion called pronation can make your heel pain worse. It sounds like you have plantar fasciitis. Taping, good shoes, light stretching is very helpful in the beginning stages. Don't wait and think this is going to get better.

Take a look at the taping section in the online book. Go to the drug store and get an elastic support for ankle strains.

It is time for the trip to the doctor for a complete circulatory and biomechanical evaluation. Have you seen any doctor yet?

Lori H on 3/27/01 at 17:57 (042693)

Actually, my brother is a podiatrist but he lives some 3,000 miles away, which doesn't help much. I have not gone to a podiatrist yet here in town, but the pain is getting to be really unpleasant. Incidentally, when I was a child and I would jump rope, the soles of my feet would bruise very easily. I tried custom orthotics years ago and they hurt so badly that I stopped wearing them. Open to suggestions!!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/01 at 10:00 (042398)

Hi,

Flat feet with excessive motion called pronation can make your heel pain worse. It sounds like you have plantar fasciitis. Taping, good shoes, light stretching is very helpful in the beginning stages. Don't wait and think this is going to get better.

Take a look at the taping section in the online book. Go to the drug store and get an elastic support for ankle strains.

It is time for the trip to the doctor for a complete circulatory and biomechanical evaluation. Have you seen any doctor yet?

Lori H on 3/27/01 at 17:57 (042693)

Actually, my brother is a podiatrist but he lives some 3,000 miles away, which doesn't help much. I have not gone to a podiatrist yet here in town, but the pain is getting to be really unpleasant. Incidentally, when I was a child and I would jump rope, the soles of my feet would bruise very easily. I tried custom orthotics years ago and they hurt so badly that I stopped wearing them. Open to suggestions!!!