Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

toe walking 7 year old

Posted by ML Haas on 3/24/01 at hrmin (042372)

My son has been walking on his toes since he started walking. At age 3 and a half he was casted for 6 weeks. He eventually returned to toe walking. The pediatric neurologist recommended that he be evaluated by an orthopedic. He is now going into PT 3 x per seek and is going to wear night braces. Do you know the name of the surgery that stretches the heel cord? Do you know anything about that particular surgery to correct toe walking? Do you have any good web addresses that I can read more about this condition in greater detail. especially the surgery as I think his case may go that way. Please respond. Thanks.
I live in South Florida..Broward County

Re: toe walking 7 year old

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042470)

Has the neurologist ruled out a neurological problem? Does your son have complete bowel and bladder control?

I perform lengthening of the heel cord quite frequently. Often, the problem is associated with flat feet, which will also need to be addressed. Feel free to contact me further with questions. 630 852-8650.

Dr. Biehler on 3/26/01 at 07:55 (042490)

Dr. Casseli who had been associated with the New York Collage of Podiatric medicine has written on and researched this problem. If I remember correctly his results show that a lenghtening of the heel cord does usually correct this problem,( unless the shortened heel cord was a developmental problem in the first place and this would be very rare). Dr. B..

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042470)

Has the neurologist ruled out a neurological problem? Does your son have complete bowel and bladder control?

I perform lengthening of the heel cord quite frequently. Often, the problem is associated with flat feet, which will also need to be addressed. Feel free to contact me further with questions. 630 852-8650.

Dr. Biehler on 3/26/01 at 07:55 (042490)

Dr. Casseli who had been associated with the New York Collage of Podiatric medicine has written on and researched this problem. If I remember correctly his results show that a lenghtening of the heel cord does usually correct this problem,( unless the shortened heel cord was a developmental problem in the first place and this would be very rare). Dr. B..