Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT on plantar fasciitis

Posted by Dr. Eugen Eide on 3/25/01 at hrmin (042400)

I'm an orthopaedic surgeon and I have been using ESWT for pseudarthrosis for some years, partly with good results. I do not have any experience in using it for plantar fasciitis but I have some patients where I would like to use it instead of surgery. What doses do you recommend?

Re: ESWT on plantar fasciitis

Richard Perez, DPM on 3/25/01 at hrmin (042442)

We are using the HMT machine. Initially, we were using the manufacturers recommended setting of 18Kv for 1,500 pulses per heel. However, some early, ongoing studies seem to suggest that higher energy levels and more pulses may have a better affect. Consequently, I am now using 20Kv for 1,800 pulses per heel. It is to early to judge the results of this change in energy/dose settings, but hopefully we can publish some statistically sound numbers in the near future.
Richard Perez, DPM

Kim B. on 3/26/01 at 23:14 (042600)

Hi Dr. Eide,

I'm curious, what is pseudarthrosis? (I tired to look it up at http://www.drkoop.com and couldn't find anything.) Thank to you or any other Doc that will take the time to explain it to me.

Regards, Kim B.

Richard Grayson, DPM on 3/28/01 at hrmin (042844)

Pseudoarthrosis means false joint. A pseudoarthrosis can occur after a fracture or a surgical procedure which requires that a cut be made into a bone. The bone does not heal correctly and there is motion at that site as if some kind of joint formed. This is not a real joint, so motion at this area can be painful and undesirable. The condition, if painful, is treated with surgery to remove the pseudoarthrosis and either fuse the area, refixate the area, or replace with a bone graft.

R. Grayson, DPM

Richard Perez, DPM on 3/25/01 at hrmin (042442)

We are using the HMT machine. Initially, we were using the manufacturers recommended setting of 18Kv for 1,500 pulses per heel. However, some early, ongoing studies seem to suggest that higher energy levels and more pulses may have a better affect. Consequently, I am now using 20Kv for 1,800 pulses per heel. It is to early to judge the results of this change in energy/dose settings, but hopefully we can publish some statistically sound numbers in the near future.
Richard Perez, DPM

Kim B. on 3/26/01 at 23:14 (042600)

Hi Dr. Eide,

I'm curious, what is pseudarthrosis? (I tired to look it up at http://www.drkoop.com and couldn't find anything.) Thank to you or any other Doc that will take the time to explain it to me.

Regards, Kim B.

Richard Grayson, DPM on 3/28/01 at hrmin (042844)

Pseudoarthrosis means false joint. A pseudoarthrosis can occur after a fracture or a surgical procedure which requires that a cut be made into a bone. The bone does not heal correctly and there is motion at that site as if some kind of joint formed. This is not a real joint, so motion at this area can be painful and undesirable. The condition, if painful, is treated with surgery to remove the pseudoarthrosis and either fuse the area, refixate the area, or replace with a bone graft.

R. Grayson, DPM