Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birk's Spring/Summer 2001 sandals: finally some new classics!

Posted by Beverly on 3/25/01 at 14:35 (042419)

Hi guys!

I was just cruising http://www.birkexpress.com and was thrilled to see that they've finally added some new Classic styles. (Like many here, I can't wear Tatami or any of their other fashion lines. I need the good ole Classic footbed!)

They've added new colors to the Florida. There is something called 'Iceland' that looks like the Arizona but it is snugger at the instep strap.
The Andros and Belize looked especially comfty to me. There is also a new thong called the Cancun that says it was designed to reduce strap discomfort between the toes. And another sandal called the Tonga.

I have not seen any of these in person.

I also went over the Dansko's website and they've added some new additions to their basic footbed. (The one the professional is made from.)

Last but not least, I found a local store that carries tons of Mephesto's. I think I tried on 14 different styles! Besides being super expensive, I'm sad to say that at least for me, the Sabatina footbed is the only one I can wear. (It's the same footbed the Sarah clog is on.) The difference is that the heel is higher and the forefoot area has more heel/support. I will say that there was one other possibility, the Helen thong, but my left foot just was not quite narrow enough.. baby toes hitting the edge of shoes.

So, there is my review, from 'the shoe queen.'
Take care,
Beverly

Re: Birk's Spring/Summer 2001 sandals: finally some new classics!

Nancy N on 3/25/01 at 19:13 (042443)

When I picked up my orthotics from the local pedorthodude yesterday, I looked through his Birk catalog and found a really lovely shoe called the Sanibel. Anybody ever seen/tried it? He suggested the Tatamis for me, and I think that's what those were. I'd love to try them, but I'd rather buy the shoes from the German Birk site than pay twice as much here.

Beverly on 3/25/01 at 19:31 (042445)

Nancy,

A small handfull of people on the Board have found Tatami's work for them, but mostly the Classic style seems to be the PF winner. I think you'll just have to go to a store that carries a wide variety of Birks and try them on.

For me, the Tatami's are too soft in the footbed. My heel ends up hurting.

They have a higher arch than other Birks, and some high arched people like them as a result. But the Classic line also has a pretty substantial arch.

The most important thing is to go to a store that specializes in these kinds of shoes (healthy walking shoe type place). The department stores don't have a clue how to fit these, and a proper fit is essential.

Best wishes,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 3/25/01 at 20:12 (042452)

Nancy,
I love my Boston classic Birks AND my Nebraska Tatamis. I don't even have a high arch -- I have a low, weak arch. The other good thing about these Tatamis is that the footbed is removable, so I can put my orthotics in them, which the orthotist ok'd. Of course I say this having not been back for the further adjustments my orthotics have needed for over two months. Maybe I'll get around to it one day when the rest of life stops happening.
Nancy

Re: So, Nancy S., do you still like the Birks better than orthodics?

Beverly on 3/26/01 at 13:59 (042536)

Hi Nancy S.,

I hope you are still doing well and continuing to improve. Since our injuries are so similar, you are my great hope/inspiration.

You say you have not gotten the orthodics readjusted for the 3x. Does this mean that you like your Birks better? You know, I had new orthodics made earlier this year, and I didn't think they were half as good as my Birks.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Oops! Most of those new styles were Birki's or Tatami's

Beverly on 3/26/01 at 16:16 (042559)

Opps, it was too good to be true. Those new styles were Birki's or Tatami's - different footbed from Classic. I just got the new catalog today and it gives clearer info. than the website. Well, the good news is that The Arizona, Boston, and Florida have some nice new spring colors. (Some of the new Arizona's are on the Papillio footbed.)
I also noticed that one of the classics has a soft footbed. Can't remember which one it was.
Beverly

Re: So, Nancy S., do you still like the Birks better than orthotics

Nancy S. on 3/27/01 at 00:12 (042602)

Hi Beverly,

That's a good question! The answer must be at least partly 'yes,' because why else haven't I rushed back to the orthotist to continue adjustments? One reason is probably that I was allotted two months for free adjustments, and now I'm afraid I might have to pay for adjustments because it's past that time. (But I had only two adjustments in those two months, so I can probably get around that rule.)

I paid $290 for the orthotics, and I'm still very impressed with how they were made and the guy who made them -- I couldn't get the arches to feel right, though. My arches flatten right out when I stand, so the arches in the orthotics kept feeling too high to me -- they'd feel uncomfortable after about half an hour, and then downright achy/painful. Both adjustments I had were to remove some of the posting in the arches. The second adjustment apparently removed too much -- my weight then fell more on the outside of the heel of my PF foot for some reason and caused pain very quickly when I wore them.

He told me that in order to fix that, I need to bring my casts in along with the orthotics next time, so he can build the posting back up again slightly on that left orthotic, and said he'd probably use a softer material to do that. Otherwise, I'd still be feeling the problem I had when I brought them in for the adjustment in the first place.

But I haven't done it yet, and yes, my Birks are feeling really good. I wore them all over Mexico. I wear them almost exclusively (the only time I haven't has been when I have to go out in the middle of a snowstorm -- then I've worn these Dexter hiking shoes that close in right around all my tendons at just the wrong spots -- boy, I sure was using great judgment the day I bought those -- and only $15 at a discount store!).

I guess I wonder if the arches in the orthotics will ever feel as good as the Birks. The orthotist casted me correctly, that I know -- it's just that my arches flatten out so much when I stand that I don't know if I'll ever be able to bear all that arch in the orthotic. The Birks feel just right that way.... so, to summarize this windbag post (it's almost 1 a.m. and I'm out of it), I hope to get the orthotics right since I paid $290 and intellectually I think they're excellent, but my Birks feel so good that I seem to be dragging my feet on that, so to speak. I promise I'll post about it when (if?) I go back to the orthotist.

You seem overall to be heading in a good direction, on the path to getting this thing under control, and I'm happy for you, Beverly.

Nancy

Re: Thanks, Nancy

Beverly on 3/27/01 at 14:12 (042671)

Nancy,

Thanks for answering my question. Interesting... It is the arch I can never get adjusted right in orthodics, and like you, I feel sure my feet were properly casted this time. I'm not so sure about the material (soft).
Glad you are doing better. I have good days and bad days. I'm grateful for the good days. I think my progress has stalled out. I'm hoping loosing weight will help and I'm researching EWST.
Thanks,
Beverly

Nancy N on 3/25/01 at 19:13 (042443)

When I picked up my orthotics from the local pedorthodude yesterday, I looked through his Birk catalog and found a really lovely shoe called the Sanibel. Anybody ever seen/tried it? He suggested the Tatamis for me, and I think that's what those were. I'd love to try them, but I'd rather buy the shoes from the German Birk site than pay twice as much here.

Beverly on 3/25/01 at 19:31 (042445)

Nancy,

A small handfull of people on the Board have found Tatami's work for them, but mostly the Classic style seems to be the PF winner. I think you'll just have to go to a store that carries a wide variety of Birks and try them on.

For me, the Tatami's are too soft in the footbed. My heel ends up hurting.

They have a higher arch than other Birks, and some high arched people like them as a result. But the Classic line also has a pretty substantial arch.

The most important thing is to go to a store that specializes in these kinds of shoes (healthy walking shoe type place). The department stores don't have a clue how to fit these, and a proper fit is essential.

Best wishes,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 3/25/01 at 20:12 (042452)

Nancy,
I love my Boston classic Birks AND my Nebraska Tatamis. I don't even have a high arch -- I have a low, weak arch. The other good thing about these Tatamis is that the footbed is removable, so I can put my orthotics in them, which the orthotist ok'd. Of course I say this having not been back for the further adjustments my orthotics have needed for over two months. Maybe I'll get around to it one day when the rest of life stops happening.
Nancy

Re: So, Nancy S., do you still like the Birks better than orthodics?

Beverly on 3/26/01 at 13:59 (042536)

Hi Nancy S.,

I hope you are still doing well and continuing to improve. Since our injuries are so similar, you are my great hope/inspiration.

You say you have not gotten the orthodics readjusted for the 3x. Does this mean that you like your Birks better? You know, I had new orthodics made earlier this year, and I didn't think they were half as good as my Birks.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Oops! Most of those new styles were Birki's or Tatami's

Beverly on 3/26/01 at 16:16 (042559)

Opps, it was too good to be true. Those new styles were Birki's or Tatami's - different footbed from Classic. I just got the new catalog today and it gives clearer info. than the website. Well, the good news is that The Arizona, Boston, and Florida have some nice new spring colors. (Some of the new Arizona's are on the Papillio footbed.)
I also noticed that one of the classics has a soft footbed. Can't remember which one it was.
Beverly

Re: So, Nancy S., do you still like the Birks better than orthotics

Nancy S. on 3/27/01 at 00:12 (042602)

Hi Beverly,

That's a good question! The answer must be at least partly 'yes,' because why else haven't I rushed back to the orthotist to continue adjustments? One reason is probably that I was allotted two months for free adjustments, and now I'm afraid I might have to pay for adjustments because it's past that time. (But I had only two adjustments in those two months, so I can probably get around that rule.)

I paid $290 for the orthotics, and I'm still very impressed with how they were made and the guy who made them -- I couldn't get the arches to feel right, though. My arches flatten right out when I stand, so the arches in the orthotics kept feeling too high to me -- they'd feel uncomfortable after about half an hour, and then downright achy/painful. Both adjustments I had were to remove some of the posting in the arches. The second adjustment apparently removed too much -- my weight then fell more on the outside of the heel of my PF foot for some reason and caused pain very quickly when I wore them.

He told me that in order to fix that, I need to bring my casts in along with the orthotics next time, so he can build the posting back up again slightly on that left orthotic, and said he'd probably use a softer material to do that. Otherwise, I'd still be feeling the problem I had when I brought them in for the adjustment in the first place.

But I haven't done it yet, and yes, my Birks are feeling really good. I wore them all over Mexico. I wear them almost exclusively (the only time I haven't has been when I have to go out in the middle of a snowstorm -- then I've worn these Dexter hiking shoes that close in right around all my tendons at just the wrong spots -- boy, I sure was using great judgment the day I bought those -- and only $15 at a discount store!).

I guess I wonder if the arches in the orthotics will ever feel as good as the Birks. The orthotist casted me correctly, that I know -- it's just that my arches flatten out so much when I stand that I don't know if I'll ever be able to bear all that arch in the orthotic. The Birks feel just right that way.... so, to summarize this windbag post (it's almost 1 a.m. and I'm out of it), I hope to get the orthotics right since I paid $290 and intellectually I think they're excellent, but my Birks feel so good that I seem to be dragging my feet on that, so to speak. I promise I'll post about it when (if?) I go back to the orthotist.

You seem overall to be heading in a good direction, on the path to getting this thing under control, and I'm happy for you, Beverly.

Nancy

Re: Thanks, Nancy

Beverly on 3/27/01 at 14:12 (042671)

Nancy,

Thanks for answering my question. Interesting... It is the arch I can never get adjusted right in orthodics, and like you, I feel sure my feet were properly casted this time. I'm not so sure about the material (soft).
Glad you are doing better. I have good days and bad days. I'm grateful for the good days. I think my progress has stalled out. I'm hoping loosing weight will help and I'm researching EWST.
Thanks,
Beverly