Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm baaaaaack

Posted by Kay S on 3/25/01 at hrmin (042420)

Hello to everyone. It seems like it has been so long since I posted, or even had time to read all the messages from the new posters. I thought I'd give my update today, and then try to keep up once again!
I am almost six weeks post-ESWT #2 and trying very hard not to become frustrated and depressed. After the first treatment, I did notice relief, though I have never, ever been below a '5' and most of the time not even that good. I had the second 8 weeks after the first, and since then have been struggling. So far I haven't achieved the results that both Dr. Z and myself are hoping for, but since I am now entering the '6 to 12 week period' I am once again bolstering myself up to finally see some significant relief come my way.
The fact that I have had pf for almost five years probably has some influence on my slow progress, but I did so want to be in the small group that walks out of the office and never complains of pain again! (don't we all???) I am willing to be more patient, but of course I need some sign that my case will not be one of those thrown into the archives of failures from all treatments, never to be heard from again!
I must say, there is something different about the quality of the pain I have now compared to my pre-ESWT pain, but I can't think of how to describe it. It IS more tolerable, but having pain is so darn exhausting, and then when other life-things enter the mix, one's energy is sucked out and dealing with all of it becomes an issue.
I read BarbTX's post about her feeling she is back at 'square one' and I must say that I can relate to that. She and I seem to be so pokey when it comes to good foot news! However, we will both persevere in our quest for improvement. (I hope it's okay that I have included you, Barb)
In the meantime, it is encouraging to read about even a small improvement from someone else, so keep that good news coming!
It's good to be back.
Kay

Re: I'm baaaaaack

Steve P on 3/25/01 at 20:50 (042454)

Kay --- Good to have you back. (I mean baaaaaaaack.) Two of my other nieces, Julie F & Nancy S, have had notable progress lately, so I'm hoping that you & TexBarb will too.

Lets hope that the 6-12 week window will be good for you.

Best........U. Steve

Brian G on 3/26/01 at 09:00 (042498)

Hi Kay,

I'm here praying that you will see some healing in the next few weeks. Just wonder how long you had PF before the first ESWT. Also, how bad was your pain, on a 1-10 scale. Thanks in advance

BG

Carol D on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042511)

Hi Kay -- I'm 5 weeks post-ESWT and have to say I haven' really noticed much at all. I'm beginning to think this treatment was all a hoax. But I promised I'd hang in there 'till I get to at least 10 wks.

Beverly on 3/26/01 at 13:25 (042528)

Kay,

At least with Dr. Z., you know you had the best! I really hope the next six week window brings improvement. I too am gearing up for EWST. (Somewhere this summer... no idea who or where.)

How long did your foot hurt after the EWST in terms of pain from the treatment? I understand there is some temporary post- treatment pain.
Best wishes for improvement,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 3/26/01 at 15:13 (042548)

Kay - so good to have you back! I am sorry to hear that you are not recovering quickly. It is very depressing, as I know very well. Just how much can you get around right now, if at all? I would describe my pain level around an 8, if my foot is used, and a 1 if my foot is not used. I have simply taken the remedy of going back to crutches and not using my foot, or applying only light pressure and weight every so often to keep my leg and ankle in shape and flexible. I just don't want to do drugs again. I have done SEVEN different drugs, and all without any result, and I can't but think that anything else will fail as well. If I use the crutches, then the resting pain is confined to a minimum and I am able to sleep well at night - that means the world to me. Since I have been using the crutches my right foot has improved greatly - I must say that its a real work horse, as long as its in my Birks.

I have the added frustration of my pain being on the side of my heel as well as into my arch. No one seems to be able to tell me what it is or how to fix it, so I will just have to keep trying different things myself. My latest thing is going to a pedorthodude and having him take a hard look at my feet. He gave me a Lyncos soft orthotic to wear with a NB running shoe. We shall see. I am almost 12 weeks post zap #2, so I might see some improvement. Who knows?

My plan right now is to loose as much weight as I can of the 40 pf pounds that I gained in the past 18 mo. Twenty gone, twenty to go. When I finally loose all the weight, I will reward myself with yet another ZAP. I am still too hesitant about surgery to even think about it.

I agree that there is a difference in the QUALITY of the pain post ESWT. It is more diffused, itchy, and not as sharp. I am so tired of it, that often I just break down. It wears me out. But it does help me stick to my diet faithfully. It is the other things in life that suffer. Anyway, I noticed much of my improvement POST 12 weeks the first time. Maybe it will be that way this time.

Best of luck and good to have you back! B.

Anyway, hang in there, and tell me

Re: Question for Barbara

Beverly on 3/26/01 at 16:12 (042556)

Hi Barbara,
Congraduations on those lost pounds! That's alot better than I'm doing!
I've just gotten tougher on Weight Watchers. I was letting myself eat at the high end of their allotted points for my weight, but I need to speed this up and so I've dropped down to the low end of the point scale. I figure with my lack of exercise, it may take that to loose these pounds.

Wish you were doing better, but it does sound like the crutches are giving you relief. Did the crutches give relief before EWST or is this a post-EWST benefit? Also, I'm confused about your last paragraph about pain. Are you saying the EWST pain is wearing you down or are you talking about your usual PF pain? Since I'm getting geared up for this, I'm trying to understand the post-pain. Unless I'm on my feet alot, I don't have much resting pain. It is my standing/walking pain that gets me down.

There is an interesting article on EWST in today's 'Star-Telegram.' It may be in the Dallas paper too, not sure about that one.
Thanks,
Beverly

Kay S on 3/26/01 at 20:35 (042576)

hi Brian
I have had pf (and a bunch of other related foot problems) for almost five years. At its worst, my pain was probably a 9, but I have to say that I have never really gotten below a 7 on a consistent level. I have had all the conservative treatments mentioned on this board, except I haven't worn the night splints.
So I guess you could say that I had pf for 4.5 years before my first ESWT.
Trying to work around the pain rules my life. Everything I do depends on how far, how long, etc. Just like everyone here!
Thanks for asking.
Kay

Kay S on 3/26/01 at 20:39 (042577)

Beverly
The post ESWT pain was a piece of cake as far as I am concerned. I had some minor soreness, but it certainly wasn't enough to complain about. I think I took Tylenol a couple of times but that's it.
The pain with pf is about fifty times worse than the after effects of ESWT.
Now if it just starts working.................
Kay

Carol D on 3/27/01 at 08:12 (042615)

I just talked to my Pod last evening. He did tell me that between 5-7 weeks there can be significant discomfort post-ESWT. The feet are healing from the beating they took from the Ossatron. He recommends lots of stretching, warm soaks and NO long walking. So I'm keeping the faith and hoping things start working in another month or so.

Brian G on 3/27/01 at 08:55 (042622)

Thanks Kay,

I'm in the information gathering stage right now. Every little bit helps. I'm a tough case, had the PF for over 7 years.

Thanks
BG

Barbara TX on 3/27/01 at 12:39 (042652)

Thanks Beverly - The crutches just help because I don't use the foot much. I don't know whether I have morning pain or not - I am not too keen to find out. The more I walk, the more pain I have. It feels I have tiny tears all over the heel that feel like little shocks or sparks when I begin to walk a few steps, then the dull, itchy, deep toochache kind of pain begins all over my heel, but specifically on the inner side and back of the arch. It seems diffused, instead of sharp. I had a tearing sensation twice - once about 15 months ago, and once about 3 weeks ago. This happened in the back part of the arch. I don't know if this is a pf tear, but it happened after major resting when this first happened to me. I put my foot down to step gently after being in a cast and RIP! My MRI only showed thickening of the pf... so I am clueless still. I AM however, hesitant to go in a cast again, although my DPM offered it last time. I told him what happened and he said 'OH' like it was a pretty bad thing. Funny, but I can't get him to talk to me about what he thinks the pain on the side of my heel is, around the rim. He says that he 'has no idea.' Time to get a new DPM? I am just exhausted by doctors. I wish I lived in New Jersey (gosh, is that the first time in recorded his history anyone every said that truthfully)????

Oh, so frustrated, depressed, and the whole works. But I have been there and done that a thousand times. Best to just put my head down, diet, and crutch around. B.

Beverly on 3/27/01 at 14:07 (042669)

Barbara,

I've had that tearing feeling too. It happened twice in my left foot this summer, and really set me backwards. In fact, it ruinned a summer vacation.
I had to come home early. Mine came after rolling a hard massage ball with little spokes underneath the arch. The tearing feeling was in the arch. And like you, my MRI revealed nothing. (But it was many months later when I begged the MRI out of my doctor. I often wonder if it would have shown more if I could have gotten it done at the time.)

I'm still trying to understand if the pain you feel with the sparks, itchy, deep toothache pain came after the EWST or was it there before? Is it any easier to deal with than the sharp pain you were having before? Your description sounds miserable and as usual so well written.
Thanks,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 3/28/01 at 11:54 (042803)

Beverly - I think that the ESWT made the pain at the insertion point less sharp only temporarily. I don't have sharp morning pain anymore... but maybe that is because I use the foot so gradually I give it time to stretch out. I have the sharp pain once, about four months into this thing, after I came out of a cast. I think it was some sort of tear. At that moment I went from typical pf pain to arch pain and nerve pain as well, and the inability to feel the tip of my great toe and second toe. I still have that numbness from time to time, but it is very slight. I didn't have the sharp pain for a long time until about a month ago, when I felt it again. It was then that I had to go back to crutches to get around. It goes from the middle band of the pf (not at the insertion point, but about an inch more toward the middle of the arch), toward the inside of the arch and up toward the ankle bone at times. It is a shocky feeling, like being pricked with a long pin, and then it diffuses into itchy pain, like a deep bee sting. If anyone can tell me what they think this might be, have a go at it! My guess is that I have scar tissue that has formed all over the band of the pf and it tears. Now I feel these stabs often. My whole pf is very very sore when I press it, and the toothache feeling takes about 15 minutes to subside when I deeply massage my pf band. I also have perpetual soreness all around my big toe, mostly at the bottom and side where it meets the ball of my foot.

Am I a mess or what?

My main dilemma is what of two things to do... rest the thing or keep using it and stretching it out. There are two schools of thought about this... one says rest to keep down the inflammation, the other says keep moving so that scar tissue doesn't have a chance to form. I think I have tried both so far with no success, and so the question is probably moot anyway.

I am so angry (that is my basic emotion) that a basically sedentary person all through this ordeal could develop so many other symptoms when I have been resting myself to a nervous breakdown. Neuromas, nerve pain, numbness, tearing sensations, ankle pain, flexor tendonitis... all these things have come to me while resting! How I could get tendonitis (if I am not mistaken, that is an overuse injury) while in a state of rest is particularly frustrating.

So that is my story as of late. I don't regret the ESWT - it never made me worse... except the first time when I had my ankle numbed and I couldn't adjust it for comfort when I was being zapped. My achilles killed me when the block wore off. The second time when I got the zap unblocked, I was able to tell Dr. Z when my achilles was getting crampy and he stopped and readjusted my foot - avoiding any achilles soreness. To me, that is the great advantage of no block. You can always monitor your own comfort when the positioning of your foot really matters.

Sorry so long. Frustrating, I know! B.

wendyn on 3/28/01 at 14:16 (042814)

Barb the location sounds like TTS. Go to the TTS board, click on the link at the top that goes to Steve Williams site - does that picture that comes up look like the area you are describing?

Donna SL on 3/28/01 at 15:31 (042832)

Barbara,

I was wondering if you have tried ART. It seems to have helped some of the people who had trouble after the ESWT. I had been following some of the postings of the people who had gone with Scott to get the Ossatron in Cananda a while back, and it seemed to help a few.

I haven't had the ESWT treatment yet, but I had my first ART session on Monday with a chiropracter who was trained and certifed in the lower extremity ART by DR. Leahy. He was very gentle the first time to make sure I could take it, and I'm suprised how much better I feel after just one treatment. He said he will go more intense on the next session, if I felt ok from this session which I do.

I was going to wait a while before I posted about my experiences with the ART after I had more sessions, because I don't want to be overly optimisstic yet, and I'm not sure it will work in the long run, but I thought this might help you. This one session seemed to help more than months of PT. He also adjusted my ankles. Don't let a PT, etc, convince you it's like any other massage. It's much more effective, and complicated than myofascial release, deep tissue massage, etc. Also the knowledge and training the doctor had in the anatomy of the lower extremites was incredible. He explained to me how all the tendons, muscles, etc, work in the legs and feet.

Again I don't know if you have tried ART, or had in the past, but if not if would be worth a try. Make sure the chiropractor is certified in Lower Extremity ART, or what they call full body. If not, you will not be getting a quality treatment. DR. Leahy said they just stated training and certifying for lower extremities in Jan 01, so I don't know how many are trained in lower body ART. I just thought this may really help you if you havent't tried it yet. And if you did in the past in may be worth trying again with someone certified in lower body.

Here's the website if you need to find someone in your area.

http://www.activerelease.com/

Donna

Barbara TX on 3/29/01 at 10:07 (042910)

NO NO NO! I just don't want to go there. I can even describe what this nightmare has been like... I mentally can't take the fact that I might have something worse. I think I might have a nervous breakdown. B.

wendyn on 3/29/01 at 13:49 (042938)

Barbara - that wasn't meant to scare you. I'm sorry if it did.

What's worse than having TTS?

Having TTS and having it misdiagnosed and mistreated.

Seriously - don't panic - I'm certainly not a doctor, but location of your pain sounds similar. It's also the same spot you would have pain if you have PTT. Perhaps try icing specifically in that area and see if it provides you some relief.

Sorry again if I freaked you out, that wasn't my intention.

Re: FREAKING OUT - To Wendy

Barbara TX on 3/29/01 at 17:32 (042964)

I'm sorry about my freaking out. My DPM whapped at my tarsal tunnel spots this very day for a good long time and was able to get no sign of anything - tingling, burning pain. It heats up when I walk. My pain is a sore, hot feeling on the side of my ankle, so we thing PTT. DPM said ice it and rest it. How can I get this when I am already icing and resting it for pf? Holy Mother of Abraham Lincoln! I am nearly going off my rocker. It aches when I am sitting too, specifically when I cross my legs... I tend to rest the outside of my hurting foot on my opposite knee a little above the ankle with the inside of the ankle facing up, and if the foot 'hangs' there it hurts. Don't know if this means anything. So now I am trying to put both feet on the floor and keep ankles straight, use my new soft orthotics more, etc. I am using them with the crutches and taking a step now and then (about three or four at a time).

Thank you for the heads up... sorry for the hysterical reaction. I am just a basket-case with all this new stuff. My neuroma was shot up today and can no longer feel my toes, oh, but who cares anymore. Tonight I hit the scotch. B.

Julie on 3/29/01 at 17:48 (042966)

Barb, it's probably not much comfort, but my PF foot (now 95% better with only very occasional mild pain) twinges when I cross my legs and let it hang. Maybe that's just not a good position for any foot to be in. Both feet on the floor sounds much much better.

So does the scotch. Go for it, and I hope you feel better in the morning.

I'm off to bed. It's 00.30 here. Good night, sleep well.

Julie

Steve P on 3/25/01 at 20:50 (042454)

Kay --- Good to have you back. (I mean baaaaaaaack.) Two of my other nieces, Julie F & Nancy S, have had notable progress lately, so I'm hoping that you & TexBarb will too.

Lets hope that the 6-12 week window will be good for you.

Best........U. Steve

Brian G on 3/26/01 at 09:00 (042498)

Hi Kay,

I'm here praying that you will see some healing in the next few weeks. Just wonder how long you had PF before the first ESWT. Also, how bad was your pain, on a 1-10 scale. Thanks in advance

BG

Carol D on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042511)

Hi Kay -- I'm 5 weeks post-ESWT and have to say I haven' really noticed much at all. I'm beginning to think this treatment was all a hoax. But I promised I'd hang in there 'till I get to at least 10 wks.

Beverly on 3/26/01 at 13:25 (042528)

Kay,

At least with Dr. Z., you know you had the best! I really hope the next six week window brings improvement. I too am gearing up for EWST. (Somewhere this summer... no idea who or where.)

How long did your foot hurt after the EWST in terms of pain from the treatment? I understand there is some temporary post- treatment pain.
Best wishes for improvement,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 3/26/01 at 15:13 (042548)

Kay - so good to have you back! I am sorry to hear that you are not recovering quickly. It is very depressing, as I know very well. Just how much can you get around right now, if at all? I would describe my pain level around an 8, if my foot is used, and a 1 if my foot is not used. I have simply taken the remedy of going back to crutches and not using my foot, or applying only light pressure and weight every so often to keep my leg and ankle in shape and flexible. I just don't want to do drugs again. I have done SEVEN different drugs, and all without any result, and I can't but think that anything else will fail as well. If I use the crutches, then the resting pain is confined to a minimum and I am able to sleep well at night - that means the world to me. Since I have been using the crutches my right foot has improved greatly - I must say that its a real work horse, as long as its in my Birks.

I have the added frustration of my pain being on the side of my heel as well as into my arch. No one seems to be able to tell me what it is or how to fix it, so I will just have to keep trying different things myself. My latest thing is going to a pedorthodude and having him take a hard look at my feet. He gave me a Lyncos soft orthotic to wear with a NB running shoe. We shall see. I am almost 12 weeks post zap #2, so I might see some improvement. Who knows?

My plan right now is to loose as much weight as I can of the 40 pf pounds that I gained in the past 18 mo. Twenty gone, twenty to go. When I finally loose all the weight, I will reward myself with yet another ZAP. I am still too hesitant about surgery to even think about it.

I agree that there is a difference in the QUALITY of the pain post ESWT. It is more diffused, itchy, and not as sharp. I am so tired of it, that often I just break down. It wears me out. But it does help me stick to my diet faithfully. It is the other things in life that suffer. Anyway, I noticed much of my improvement POST 12 weeks the first time. Maybe it will be that way this time.

Best of luck and good to have you back! B.

Anyway, hang in there, and tell me

Beverly on 3/26/01 at 16:12 (042556)

Hi Barbara,
Congraduations on those lost pounds! That's alot better than I'm doing!
I've just gotten tougher on Weight Watchers. I was letting myself eat at the high end of their allotted points for my weight, but I need to speed this up and so I've dropped down to the low end of the point scale. I figure with my lack of exercise, it may take that to loose these pounds.

Wish you were doing better, but it does sound like the crutches are giving you relief. Did the crutches give relief before EWST or is this a post-EWST benefit? Also, I'm confused about your last paragraph about pain. Are you saying the EWST pain is wearing you down or are you talking about your usual PF pain? Since I'm getting geared up for this, I'm trying to understand the post-pain. Unless I'm on my feet alot, I don't have much resting pain. It is my standing/walking pain that gets me down.

There is an interesting article on EWST in today's 'Star-Telegram.' It may be in the Dallas paper too, not sure about that one.
Thanks,
Beverly

Kay S on 3/26/01 at 20:35 (042576)

hi Brian
I have had pf (and a bunch of other related foot problems) for almost five years. At its worst, my pain was probably a 9, but I have to say that I have never really gotten below a 7 on a consistent level. I have had all the conservative treatments mentioned on this board, except I haven't worn the night splints.
So I guess you could say that I had pf for 4.5 years before my first ESWT.
Trying to work around the pain rules my life. Everything I do depends on how far, how long, etc. Just like everyone here!
Thanks for asking.
Kay

Kay S on 3/26/01 at 20:39 (042577)

Beverly
The post ESWT pain was a piece of cake as far as I am concerned. I had some minor soreness, but it certainly wasn't enough to complain about. I think I took Tylenol a couple of times but that's it.
The pain with pf is about fifty times worse than the after effects of ESWT.
Now if it just starts working.................
Kay

Carol D on 3/27/01 at 08:12 (042615)

I just talked to my Pod last evening. He did tell me that between 5-7 weeks there can be significant discomfort post-ESWT. The feet are healing from the beating they took from the Ossatron. He recommends lots of stretching, warm soaks and NO long walking. So I'm keeping the faith and hoping things start working in another month or so.

Brian G on 3/27/01 at 08:55 (042622)

Thanks Kay,

I'm in the information gathering stage right now. Every little bit helps. I'm a tough case, had the PF for over 7 years.

Thanks
BG

Barbara TX on 3/27/01 at 12:39 (042652)

Thanks Beverly - The crutches just help because I don't use the foot much. I don't know whether I have morning pain or not - I am not too keen to find out. The more I walk, the more pain I have. It feels I have tiny tears all over the heel that feel like little shocks or sparks when I begin to walk a few steps, then the dull, itchy, deep toochache kind of pain begins all over my heel, but specifically on the inner side and back of the arch. It seems diffused, instead of sharp. I had a tearing sensation twice - once about 15 months ago, and once about 3 weeks ago. This happened in the back part of the arch. I don't know if this is a pf tear, but it happened after major resting when this first happened to me. I put my foot down to step gently after being in a cast and RIP! My MRI only showed thickening of the pf... so I am clueless still. I AM however, hesitant to go in a cast again, although my DPM offered it last time. I told him what happened and he said 'OH' like it was a pretty bad thing. Funny, but I can't get him to talk to me about what he thinks the pain on the side of my heel is, around the rim. He says that he 'has no idea.' Time to get a new DPM? I am just exhausted by doctors. I wish I lived in New Jersey (gosh, is that the first time in recorded his history anyone every said that truthfully)????

Oh, so frustrated, depressed, and the whole works. But I have been there and done that a thousand times. Best to just put my head down, diet, and crutch around. B.

Beverly on 3/27/01 at 14:07 (042669)

Barbara,

I've had that tearing feeling too. It happened twice in my left foot this summer, and really set me backwards. In fact, it ruinned a summer vacation.
I had to come home early. Mine came after rolling a hard massage ball with little spokes underneath the arch. The tearing feeling was in the arch. And like you, my MRI revealed nothing. (But it was many months later when I begged the MRI out of my doctor. I often wonder if it would have shown more if I could have gotten it done at the time.)

I'm still trying to understand if the pain you feel with the sparks, itchy, deep toothache pain came after the EWST or was it there before? Is it any easier to deal with than the sharp pain you were having before? Your description sounds miserable and as usual so well written.
Thanks,
Beverly

Barbara TX on 3/28/01 at 11:54 (042803)

Beverly - I think that the ESWT made the pain at the insertion point less sharp only temporarily. I don't have sharp morning pain anymore... but maybe that is because I use the foot so gradually I give it time to stretch out. I have the sharp pain once, about four months into this thing, after I came out of a cast. I think it was some sort of tear. At that moment I went from typical pf pain to arch pain and nerve pain as well, and the inability to feel the tip of my great toe and second toe. I still have that numbness from time to time, but it is very slight. I didn't have the sharp pain for a long time until about a month ago, when I felt it again. It was then that I had to go back to crutches to get around. It goes from the middle band of the pf (not at the insertion point, but about an inch more toward the middle of the arch), toward the inside of the arch and up toward the ankle bone at times. It is a shocky feeling, like being pricked with a long pin, and then it diffuses into itchy pain, like a deep bee sting. If anyone can tell me what they think this might be, have a go at it! My guess is that I have scar tissue that has formed all over the band of the pf and it tears. Now I feel these stabs often. My whole pf is very very sore when I press it, and the toothache feeling takes about 15 minutes to subside when I deeply massage my pf band. I also have perpetual soreness all around my big toe, mostly at the bottom and side where it meets the ball of my foot.

Am I a mess or what?

My main dilemma is what of two things to do... rest the thing or keep using it and stretching it out. There are two schools of thought about this... one says rest to keep down the inflammation, the other says keep moving so that scar tissue doesn't have a chance to form. I think I have tried both so far with no success, and so the question is probably moot anyway.

I am so angry (that is my basic emotion) that a basically sedentary person all through this ordeal could develop so many other symptoms when I have been resting myself to a nervous breakdown. Neuromas, nerve pain, numbness, tearing sensations, ankle pain, flexor tendonitis... all these things have come to me while resting! How I could get tendonitis (if I am not mistaken, that is an overuse injury) while in a state of rest is particularly frustrating.

So that is my story as of late. I don't regret the ESWT - it never made me worse... except the first time when I had my ankle numbed and I couldn't adjust it for comfort when I was being zapped. My achilles killed me when the block wore off. The second time when I got the zap unblocked, I was able to tell Dr. Z when my achilles was getting crampy and he stopped and readjusted my foot - avoiding any achilles soreness. To me, that is the great advantage of no block. You can always monitor your own comfort when the positioning of your foot really matters.

Sorry so long. Frustrating, I know! B.

wendyn on 3/28/01 at 14:16 (042814)

Barb the location sounds like TTS. Go to the TTS board, click on the link at the top that goes to Steve Williams site - does that picture that comes up look like the area you are describing?

Donna SL on 3/28/01 at 15:31 (042832)

Barbara,

I was wondering if you have tried ART. It seems to have helped some of the people who had trouble after the ESWT. I had been following some of the postings of the people who had gone with Scott to get the Ossatron in Cananda a while back, and it seemed to help a few.

I haven't had the ESWT treatment yet, but I had my first ART session on Monday with a chiropracter who was trained and certifed in the lower extremity ART by DR. Leahy. He was very gentle the first time to make sure I could take it, and I'm suprised how much better I feel after just one treatment. He said he will go more intense on the next session, if I felt ok from this session which I do.

I was going to wait a while before I posted about my experiences with the ART after I had more sessions, because I don't want to be overly optimisstic yet, and I'm not sure it will work in the long run, but I thought this might help you. This one session seemed to help more than months of PT. He also adjusted my ankles. Don't let a PT, etc, convince you it's like any other massage. It's much more effective, and complicated than myofascial release, deep tissue massage, etc. Also the knowledge and training the doctor had in the anatomy of the lower extremites was incredible. He explained to me how all the tendons, muscles, etc, work in the legs and feet.

Again I don't know if you have tried ART, or had in the past, but if not if would be worth a try. Make sure the chiropractor is certified in Lower Extremity ART, or what they call full body. If not, you will not be getting a quality treatment. DR. Leahy said they just stated training and certifying for lower extremities in Jan 01, so I don't know how many are trained in lower body ART. I just thought this may really help you if you havent't tried it yet. And if you did in the past in may be worth trying again with someone certified in lower body.

Here's the website if you need to find someone in your area.

http://www.activerelease.com/

Donna

Barbara TX on 3/29/01 at 10:07 (042910)

NO NO NO! I just don't want to go there. I can even describe what this nightmare has been like... I mentally can't take the fact that I might have something worse. I think I might have a nervous breakdown. B.

wendyn on 3/29/01 at 13:49 (042938)

Barbara - that wasn't meant to scare you. I'm sorry if it did.

What's worse than having TTS?

Having TTS and having it misdiagnosed and mistreated.

Seriously - don't panic - I'm certainly not a doctor, but location of your pain sounds similar. It's also the same spot you would have pain if you have PTT. Perhaps try icing specifically in that area and see if it provides you some relief.

Sorry again if I freaked you out, that wasn't my intention.

Barbara TX on 3/29/01 at 17:32 (042964)

I'm sorry about my freaking out. My DPM whapped at my tarsal tunnel spots this very day for a good long time and was able to get no sign of anything - tingling, burning pain. It heats up when I walk. My pain is a sore, hot feeling on the side of my ankle, so we thing PTT. DPM said ice it and rest it. How can I get this when I am already icing and resting it for pf? Holy Mother of Abraham Lincoln! I am nearly going off my rocker. It aches when I am sitting too, specifically when I cross my legs... I tend to rest the outside of my hurting foot on my opposite knee a little above the ankle with the inside of the ankle facing up, and if the foot 'hangs' there it hurts. Don't know if this means anything. So now I am trying to put both feet on the floor and keep ankles straight, use my new soft orthotics more, etc. I am using them with the crutches and taking a step now and then (about three or four at a time).

Thank you for the heads up... sorry for the hysterical reaction. I am just a basket-case with all this new stuff. My neuroma was shot up today and can no longer feel my toes, oh, but who cares anymore. Tonight I hit the scotch. B.

Julie on 3/29/01 at 17:48 (042966)

Barb, it's probably not much comfort, but my PF foot (now 95% better with only very occasional mild pain) twinges when I cross my legs and let it hang. Maybe that's just not a good position for any foot to be in. Both feet on the floor sounds much much better.

So does the scotch. Go for it, and I hope you feel better in the morning.

I'm off to bed. It's 00.30 here. Good night, sleep well.

Julie