Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Jan's memorial service

Posted by Kay S on 3/25/01 at 15:05 (042421)

To all my friends here on the board-------many thanks for all the encouragement concerning my friend's death and for the suggestions about giving a eulogy.
The service was last Monday, the church was filled to overflowing, and it was a wonderful celebration of her life. About an hour before we left I told my husband 'I don't think I can do this'. My heart was absolutely pounding, my stomach felt sick, and I was trembling from the inside out! I had to go to a room by myself and pray harder that I could honor my friend by telling about her without faltering and without thinking about myself. It worked. I was the last one to speak and when I stood at the lecturn I felt stronger than I had in weeks. My voice did not shake one bit, and the 'story' I wrote came out clear. I think the last few lines were the only difficult delivery for me, but that was okay too.
Several people came up to me and told me that they felt like they knew Jan well after I spoke, and today someone from my church told me what a beautiful tribute it was to my friend and how proud she was that I had done it so well. I am so glad that I did it and feel that it was cathartic for me in many ways. I feel privileged that Jan's family asked me to do this and must say that the experience was one I will never regret.
I'm glad to be back online here after a few weeks away. Life (and death) has a way of getting all mixed up with our foot woes, doesn't it????
Kay
PS It is almost spring, and soon the days will be sunny and my attitude will certainly lighten up. I promise to say something funny soon.

Re: Jan's memorial service

Laurie R on 3/25/01 at 16:49 (042435)

Hi kay,
I am so glad you are back on the board. Also thank you so much for sharing your story about your dear friend. life is so short ,but you were both very lucky to have each other. Also she was so lucky to have a friend like you ..My best to you Kay...... Laurie R

Beverly on 3/25/01 at 19:44 (042448)

Kay,

I'm glad your eulogy went so well. I've read that public speaking rates way at the top of the list of things people most dread doing. It's no wonder you were nervous. How affirming that your friends said they knew Jan better through your testimony.
God Bless,
Beverly

Laurie R on 3/25/01 at 16:49 (042435)

Hi kay,
I am so glad you are back on the board. Also thank you so much for sharing your story about your dear friend. life is so short ,but you were both very lucky to have each other. Also she was so lucky to have a friend like you ..My best to you Kay...... Laurie R

Beverly on 3/25/01 at 19:44 (042448)

Kay,

I'm glad your eulogy went so well. I've read that public speaking rates way at the top of the list of things people most dread doing. It's no wonder you were nervous. How affirming that your friends said they knew Jan better through your testimony.
God Bless,
Beverly