Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Next step Cortisone Injections

Posted by Sue A. on 3/25/01 at 16:19 (042426)

Have had foot/heel pain since October and it has gradually gotten worse. Am seeing a Podiatrist, have purchased orthotics (they really work!) and have been on a 2 week trial of Cataflam for inflammation. Have Plantar Fasciiatis and huge (Podiatrist's words) heel spurs. They tell me that the pain is from the plantar fascia, not the heel spurs. I am getting some relief from the anti-inflammatory, but the Dr. wants me to get the cortisone injection soon. I am somewhat frightened to get the injection because I hear that it is very painful, and also does not always work, sometimes makes it worse. Anyone who has had the injections? I welcome your thoughts.

Re: Next step Cortisone Injections

Eagle Scout on 3/25/01 at 17:33 (042436)

I have had two shots in my right foot. I cannot say for sure that the shots help. My foot is much improved but I am also taping and using arch inserts. As far as the pain of the shot, I haven't had a problem. There is some soreness the following day from the injection but it is minor. I would compare the shot pain to that experienced at the dentist. After the shots it is important to not overuse the foot, I have a yard man now and alway wear shoes when my feet are on the ground. Good Luck.

Lisa S. on 3/25/01 at 20:05 (042451)

Sue

I've had heel pain since last November. The doctor says that I have PF and huge heel spurs on both heels. I have had three injections. Before giving the injection the doctor sprayed some kind of freezing spray that felt very cold then gave the injection. It felt kind of uncomfortable going in but the three injections seem to have helped me - I'm feeling better now that I am using inserts in my shoes, stretching and never walking barefoot.

Bill E. on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042506)

Early on in my PF I saw an orthopedist who immediately recommended a cortisone injection. He did nothing to numb the foot and it hurt but not too badly. I think that he was very good with the needle! *s* Some people are better than others! He also said that he mixed in an anaesthetic with the cortisone to minimize the pain that afternoon and next day. I think that may have helped.

It worked...for a while. However, in about 2-3 weeks I was right back to where I was before the injection. Then I did a bunch of reading about cortisone and decided that I wouldn't do it again. I am now getting PT which includes ultrasound with a cortisone cream. I was even a little uneasy about that but have been reassured that it is different than the injections. Cortisone can actually weaken tissue and I sure don't need a weaker plantar fascia! *s*

I think that PF varies from individual to individual. So you might try it. Many have had success. But everything that I have read says no more than 3 injections in a year.

Good luck and let us know. More data for the mill!! *s*

Sue A. on 3/26/01 at 12:24 (042523)

Thanks to those who have already responded to my message. It is a comforting feeling to know that there are those who have tried similar treatments and have had positive responses, as well as those to have suggestions on other things to try. I never realized how painful your feet could be. This is a new experience for me and it certainly helps to know that there are others who are willing to help/share their information with you. Thanks again, and good luck to all of you.

Beverly on 3/26/01 at 13:55 (042535)

Sue,

Few topics elicit more debate than these shots. I had them many months into my PF misery. In my case, they didn't do me any good. I often wonder if it would have been different if I'd gotten them sooner.

As for the pain, it was HORRIBLE but it only lasted SECONDS. Then it was over. I had some numbing stuff to cut the pain. If it had worked, I would have done another if needed in a heartbeat. Since it did not work, I will not subject myself to the pain or possible tissue damage from repeat shots.

It is very important to take it easy on that foot after the shot. (rupture risk)
I spent months being terrified of the anticipation of this shot. I had one in each foot. It was really anti-climatic. It hurt but not nearly as much or as long as I'd imagined.
Good luck,
Beverly

Linda L on 3/26/01 at 17:20 (042561)

Have had much experience with shots. Had an episode of PF for 4 years, used orthotics, physical therapy, NSAIDS, oral steroid dose-pack, massage, exercise, EVERYTHING.... except shots. I, too, was warned of potential rupture. Finally, I desperately sought injections. The first was tremendously successful, then the PF returned in one year. Had a second injection, then a spontaneous rupture during exercise within a few weeks. The rupture was very painful for the first 10 minutes or so then tapered off and gradually went away entirely over the next month. It has been 6 years or so, and I am again experiencing PF (same foot)and have been for a year now. I have had two injections (different doctors) and no relief at all. At this point, I am considering another injection and would welcome another rupture, since that ultimately cured it before.

Bottom line -- don't fear the injections -- they could spell ultimate relief.

Eagle Scout on 3/25/01 at 17:33 (042436)

I have had two shots in my right foot. I cannot say for sure that the shots help. My foot is much improved but I am also taping and using arch inserts. As far as the pain of the shot, I haven't had a problem. There is some soreness the following day from the injection but it is minor. I would compare the shot pain to that experienced at the dentist. After the shots it is important to not overuse the foot, I have a yard man now and alway wear shoes when my feet are on the ground. Good Luck.

Lisa S. on 3/25/01 at 20:05 (042451)

Sue

I've had heel pain since last November. The doctor says that I have PF and huge heel spurs on both heels. I have had three injections. Before giving the injection the doctor sprayed some kind of freezing spray that felt very cold then gave the injection. It felt kind of uncomfortable going in but the three injections seem to have helped me - I'm feeling better now that I am using inserts in my shoes, stretching and never walking barefoot.

Bill E. on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042506)

Early on in my PF I saw an orthopedist who immediately recommended a cortisone injection. He did nothing to numb the foot and it hurt but not too badly. I think that he was very good with the needle! *s* Some people are better than others! He also said that he mixed in an anaesthetic with the cortisone to minimize the pain that afternoon and next day. I think that may have helped.

It worked...for a while. However, in about 2-3 weeks I was right back to where I was before the injection. Then I did a bunch of reading about cortisone and decided that I wouldn't do it again. I am now getting PT which includes ultrasound with a cortisone cream. I was even a little uneasy about that but have been reassured that it is different than the injections. Cortisone can actually weaken tissue and I sure don't need a weaker plantar fascia! *s*

I think that PF varies from individual to individual. So you might try it. Many have had success. But everything that I have read says no more than 3 injections in a year.

Good luck and let us know. More data for the mill!! *s*

Sue A. on 3/26/01 at 12:24 (042523)

Thanks to those who have already responded to my message. It is a comforting feeling to know that there are those who have tried similar treatments and have had positive responses, as well as those to have suggestions on other things to try. I never realized how painful your feet could be. This is a new experience for me and it certainly helps to know that there are others who are willing to help/share their information with you. Thanks again, and good luck to all of you.

Beverly on 3/26/01 at 13:55 (042535)

Sue,

Few topics elicit more debate than these shots. I had them many months into my PF misery. In my case, they didn't do me any good. I often wonder if it would have been different if I'd gotten them sooner.

As for the pain, it was HORRIBLE but it only lasted SECONDS. Then it was over. I had some numbing stuff to cut the pain. If it had worked, I would have done another if needed in a heartbeat. Since it did not work, I will not subject myself to the pain or possible tissue damage from repeat shots.

It is very important to take it easy on that foot after the shot. (rupture risk)
I spent months being terrified of the anticipation of this shot. I had one in each foot. It was really anti-climatic. It hurt but not nearly as much or as long as I'd imagined.
Good luck,
Beverly

Linda L on 3/26/01 at 17:20 (042561)

Have had much experience with shots. Had an episode of PF for 4 years, used orthotics, physical therapy, NSAIDS, oral steroid dose-pack, massage, exercise, EVERYTHING.... except shots. I, too, was warned of potential rupture. Finally, I desperately sought injections. The first was tremendously successful, then the PF returned in one year. Had a second injection, then a spontaneous rupture during exercise within a few weeks. The rupture was very painful for the first 10 minutes or so then tapered off and gradually went away entirely over the next month. It has been 6 years or so, and I am again experiencing PF (same foot)and have been for a year now. I have had two injections (different doctors) and no relief at all. At this point, I am considering another injection and would welcome another rupture, since that ultimately cured it before.

Bottom line -- don't fear the injections -- they could spell ultimate relief.