Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Looking for nicer looking shoes

Posted by Pauline on 3/25/01 at 17:53 (042437)

Need suggestions for finding nicer looking shoes. Formal weddings and other formal affairs comming up and can't wear my New Balance Running Shoes. Even my lowest heels put me in pain all night. Maybe we could come up with our own line of womens PF dress shoes. Help

Re: Looking for nicer looking shoes

Beverly on 3/25/01 at 19:39 (042446)

Pauline,

Here are my two best shoes for dresses. Actually, they are the only thing I've found that work with dresses and still feel good under my feet.

Dansko: The Meta Sandal: It comes in numerous colors. Built on the same footbed as the Professional. I think it is almost stylish. This sandal has a backstrap. A similar version comes without the backstrap but it made my foot slide around. What I really like about this shoe is that it has prominent arch support, built up footbed, and the leather uppers are soft. The other wonderful thing is that it comes in several soft summer colors as well as the usual black and brown. It looks good with dresses and suits.

Mephesto: The Sabatina sandal. This looks kinda like a Mary Jane. It has more heel height/support than most Mephestos. It's from the Mobile line. It's the only Mephesto footbed I can wear. (Sarah clog on same footbed but is not as dressy.) It comes in black and brown. I have the black nubuck.

I have not seen them in the stores yet, but Dansko's website has lots of new shoes, and several of them are built on their Professional shoe footbed.

Hope that helps. I have an average width foot and average to high arches.
Beverly

Lisa S. on 3/25/01 at 19:50 (042449)

Pauline,

I've been suffering with PF now since last Nov.00. I have had to totally give up all of my lower heel shoes. What has really helped me is to go with a higher heel shoe and wear Birkenstock inserts inside. I use the Birko Balance ones. If the inserts will not fit into the shoe then I will not wear it. At home I always wear Birkenstock clogs and I never walk barefoot - not even my first step out of bed in the morning. This has really helped me.

Julie on 3/26/01 at 01:22 (042478)

Pauline, have you looked at the Birkenstock basic Footprint? It also looks like a Mary Jane, and in shiny black is quite smart.

Barbara TX on 3/26/01 at 15:17 (042549)

Pauline - you could try http://www.cloudwalkers.com They look supportive as well as pretty. Kim suggested them, and I plan to try them out when I am feeling a little better. B.

john h on 3/27/01 at 11:00 (042635)

you ladies are in terrible pain with your feet and still worry about stylish shoes? must be in a womans genes.

Nancy N on 3/27/01 at 11:07 (042638)

Oh John... you have us pegged all wrong! Men can get away with wearing black sneakers to a formal event, but women just can't. And finding a women's dress shoe that will accommodate an orthotic is next to impossible. So it becomes a big problem for us if we ever have to dress for a formal event--sneakers look pretty funny with a formal gown (or even a nice dress). Take this opportunity to be glad that you don't have this problem :)

Barbara TX on 3/27/01 at 12:59 (042658)

Shoes are everything. I am already paniced about what shoes I could possibly wear to my daughter's wedding. She is two. B.

Re: Barbara, the shoe fairy will have you in beautiful shoes by then!

Beverly on 3/27/01 at 13:59 (042665)

TXBarb,

I just know that by the time your little girl walks down the ailse into wedded bliss, you will either be gloriously cured and wearing pumps or
as more of us babyboomers hit our golden years, the foot industry will have to develop fashionable shoes for the PF crowd.
See ya,
Beverly

wendyn on 3/27/01 at 17:39 (042691)

I bought a long button up skirt for my son's grade nine grad last year. It looked great with a matching top, birkenstocks, toe rings and a nice pedicure.

I wore the same outfit with a vest to a wedding (including the lovely toe rings).

I wore my Birkenstocks and a gray Karen Kane pantsuit to a Christmas party - and I fit in fine.

I'm setting my own trend. No one is catching on, but I'm setting it anyway.

For a very formal event, I'd recommend finding a good quality upscale second hand boutique and buying a nice looking pair of shoes to be worn ONLY during those very rare formal ocassions (don't spend more than you have to if you may only wear them once). Then while you're wearing them you SIT as much as humanly possible. If you are walking at all - carry a bigger purse or a cloth bag and keep your Birks handy at all times. By the time dancing starts later in the evening - no one will care what you have on your feet.

Nancy N on 3/27/01 at 19:50 (042715)

Wendy, you have a really good point here. My brother got married in July of 99, just weeks after this nightmare started over for me. It nearly killed me to wear my dress shoes, and the only reason I got through it was through lots of Aleve. But I did take my Birks with me, and as soon as the ceremony was over, I was out of the dress shoes and into the Birks, with my brother's blessing. And I did dance, in my black dress and brown Birks, and nobody cared at all.

Re: No amount of $$ would get me in regular dress shoes

Beverly on 3/27/01 at 23:02 (042740)

You all must have a higher threshold for pain or do better living dangerously. No amount of money would get me to attend any social gathering in normal dress shoes. I know I would pay for it for days, weeks, maybe longer.
I figure I'll be spending the rest of my life in Birks, Dansko's, and other 'healthy' walking shoes. Thank God some of them are dressy enough for a dress.
Beverly

Barbara TX on 3/28/01 at 11:31 (042796)

My husband tells me to look on the bright side - maybe she'll become a nun and we can wear ugly black orthopedic shoes together. Thanks for the encouragement! B.

Kay S on 3/28/01 at 15:27 (042830)

TxBarb--
I think you will look stunning in a LONG dress, which will cover up your well-worn Birk's.
Kay

SueA on 3/29/01 at 18:18 (042980)

Am curious about the 'Birks' that are being mentioned. Are they the
'Birkenstock' shoes? My teenage son has a pair of sandals and says that they are quite possibly the most comfortable 'shoes' he has ever worn. I have never tried them, but since I am a PF sufferer I am looking for anything that may help. Let me know.
Thanks

wendyn on 3/29/01 at 19:23 (042986)

Those are the ones - your son is in some of the best shoes most of us have found!

Re: Birkenstocks

Julie on 3/30/01 at 01:48 (043011)

Yes, Birks are Birkenstocks. The original Birks are sandals, but they also make many different styles of shoes. They work well for many PF sufferers, so you would do well to investigate them. They can be bought on various websites (the German one is the cheapest - http://www.birkenstock-cn.com - but don't buy on line before being fitted properly in a good shop fwhere the sales staff know what they're doing. I like the classic Arizona very much. Beverly is the shoe queen, though, and can tell you more.

Beverly on 3/25/01 at 19:39 (042446)

Pauline,

Here are my two best shoes for dresses. Actually, they are the only thing I've found that work with dresses and still feel good under my feet.

Dansko: The Meta Sandal: It comes in numerous colors. Built on the same footbed as the Professional. I think it is almost stylish. This sandal has a backstrap. A similar version comes without the backstrap but it made my foot slide around. What I really like about this shoe is that it has prominent arch support, built up footbed, and the leather uppers are soft. The other wonderful thing is that it comes in several soft summer colors as well as the usual black and brown. It looks good with dresses and suits.

Mephesto: The Sabatina sandal. This looks kinda like a Mary Jane. It has more heel height/support than most Mephestos. It's from the Mobile line. It's the only Mephesto footbed I can wear. (Sarah clog on same footbed but is not as dressy.) It comes in black and brown. I have the black nubuck.

I have not seen them in the stores yet, but Dansko's website has lots of new shoes, and several of them are built on their Professional shoe footbed.

Hope that helps. I have an average width foot and average to high arches.
Beverly

Lisa S. on 3/25/01 at 19:50 (042449)

Pauline,

I've been suffering with PF now since last Nov.00. I have had to totally give up all of my lower heel shoes. What has really helped me is to go with a higher heel shoe and wear Birkenstock inserts inside. I use the Birko Balance ones. If the inserts will not fit into the shoe then I will not wear it. At home I always wear Birkenstock clogs and I never walk barefoot - not even my first step out of bed in the morning. This has really helped me.

Julie on 3/26/01 at 01:22 (042478)

Pauline, have you looked at the Birkenstock basic Footprint? It also looks like a Mary Jane, and in shiny black is quite smart.

Barbara TX on 3/26/01 at 15:17 (042549)

Pauline - you could try http://www.cloudwalkers.com They look supportive as well as pretty. Kim suggested them, and I plan to try them out when I am feeling a little better. B.

john h on 3/27/01 at 11:00 (042635)

you ladies are in terrible pain with your feet and still worry about stylish shoes? must be in a womans genes.

Nancy N on 3/27/01 at 11:07 (042638)

Oh John... you have us pegged all wrong! Men can get away with wearing black sneakers to a formal event, but women just can't. And finding a women's dress shoe that will accommodate an orthotic is next to impossible. So it becomes a big problem for us if we ever have to dress for a formal event--sneakers look pretty funny with a formal gown (or even a nice dress). Take this opportunity to be glad that you don't have this problem :)

Barbara TX on 3/27/01 at 12:59 (042658)

Shoes are everything. I am already paniced about what shoes I could possibly wear to my daughter's wedding. She is two. B.

Beverly on 3/27/01 at 13:59 (042665)

TXBarb,

I just know that by the time your little girl walks down the ailse into wedded bliss, you will either be gloriously cured and wearing pumps or
as more of us babyboomers hit our golden years, the foot industry will have to develop fashionable shoes for the PF crowd.
See ya,
Beverly

wendyn on 3/27/01 at 17:39 (042691)

I bought a long button up skirt for my son's grade nine grad last year. It looked great with a matching top, birkenstocks, toe rings and a nice pedicure.

I wore the same outfit with a vest to a wedding (including the lovely toe rings).

I wore my Birkenstocks and a gray Karen Kane pantsuit to a Christmas party - and I fit in fine.

I'm setting my own trend. No one is catching on, but I'm setting it anyway.

For a very formal event, I'd recommend finding a good quality upscale second hand boutique and buying a nice looking pair of shoes to be worn ONLY during those very rare formal ocassions (don't spend more than you have to if you may only wear them once). Then while you're wearing them you SIT as much as humanly possible. If you are walking at all - carry a bigger purse or a cloth bag and keep your Birks handy at all times. By the time dancing starts later in the evening - no one will care what you have on your feet.

Nancy N on 3/27/01 at 19:50 (042715)

Wendy, you have a really good point here. My brother got married in July of 99, just weeks after this nightmare started over for me. It nearly killed me to wear my dress shoes, and the only reason I got through it was through lots of Aleve. But I did take my Birks with me, and as soon as the ceremony was over, I was out of the dress shoes and into the Birks, with my brother's blessing. And I did dance, in my black dress and brown Birks, and nobody cared at all.

Beverly on 3/27/01 at 23:02 (042740)

You all must have a higher threshold for pain or do better living dangerously. No amount of money would get me to attend any social gathering in normal dress shoes. I know I would pay for it for days, weeks, maybe longer.
I figure I'll be spending the rest of my life in Birks, Dansko's, and other 'healthy' walking shoes. Thank God some of them are dressy enough for a dress.
Beverly

Barbara TX on 3/28/01 at 11:31 (042796)

My husband tells me to look on the bright side - maybe she'll become a nun and we can wear ugly black orthopedic shoes together. Thanks for the encouragement! B.

Kay S on 3/28/01 at 15:27 (042830)

TxBarb--
I think you will look stunning in a LONG dress, which will cover up your well-worn Birk's.
Kay

SueA on 3/29/01 at 18:18 (042980)

Am curious about the 'Birks' that are being mentioned. Are they the
'Birkenstock' shoes? My teenage son has a pair of sandals and says that they are quite possibly the most comfortable 'shoes' he has ever worn. I have never tried them, but since I am a PF sufferer I am looking for anything that may help. Let me know.
Thanks

wendyn on 3/29/01 at 19:23 (042986)

Those are the ones - your son is in some of the best shoes most of us have found!

Re: Birkenstocks

Julie on 3/30/01 at 01:48 (043011)

Yes, Birks are Birkenstocks. The original Birks are sandals, but they also make many different styles of shoes. They work well for many PF sufferers, so you would do well to investigate them. They can be bought on various websites (the German one is the cheapest - http://www.birkenstock-cn.com - but don't buy on line before being fitted properly in a good shop fwhere the sales staff know what they're doing. I like the classic Arizona very much. Beverly is the shoe queen, though, and can tell you more.