Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about operation

Posted by Clara on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042486)

Hi! I have a question to make. I am 35 years old, and I work as a librarian. (Not right now!!) Lots of standing and going around in my work.
Now I am sick-listed. I have had heel spurs in both feet for 2 months, I can´t walk, I crawl around. i have tested chiropractor´s taping and ultasoundtherapy, massage, zonetherapy, and the doctor´s injections (didn´t help), 'Voltaren' (diklofenak) medication, but nothing helps longer than perhaps 2 days. So I am afraid that I have to operate both my heelspurs. I will soon get a wheelchair, and I am so depressed that I soon get crazy about this.
I´m glad, however, that I found this site! I believed that I was alone!
My question is IF I have to operate, should they take BOTH heelspurs at the same time? And how long time will it take to get better?
Or, is it better to try all other therapy, icing, and perhaps acupunture? A friend told me that stretching could help but I think it´s hurting badly.

I will be very greatful if you answer.

Clara

Re: Question about operation

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 11:28 (042510)

Hi,

First never operate on both heels period. I realize that you are in severe pain but you need to get another opinion and or further evaluation before an operation. The fact that you have pain in both feet means that it could be from your back and other lower extremity joints. A blood test may be necessary to rule out any arthritic related problem. Stress fracture needs to ruled out . MRI may be ordered to rule this out.

clara on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042519)

Hi dr Zuckerman!

Thank you for your answer. I will also tell you that a hysterectomia (because of 'cancer in situ') has been done in november -2000.
Sometimes I think it´s because of that operation my problems with the feet began, but the doctors will not think so. The zonetherapist do think so though.
I have so much pain that I feel I can do whatever to get better.
You also told me about MRI, I don´t know what it is?

Clara

wendyn on 3/26/01 at 13:54 (042534)

Clara - did you have chemotherapy as well as an operation?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 17:57 (042566)

Good comment about chemotherapy. This can cause peripheral neuropathy of the feet. An mri is a special type of x-ray that allows the doctor to view the joints. ligaments and tendons of the foot. It can rule out stress fracture of the heel .

Julie on 3/26/01 at 21:03 (042584)

Hi Clara

Two months is much too soon to be thinking about surgery. All the conservative treatments need to be followed diligently for at least six months first, and then - after following Dr Z's advice - you really ought to consider having ESWT first. You can read about it on this site.

I recall (I hope correctly) from your other post yesterday (which I didn't have time to respond to as I had to gom out) that you said taping wasn't helping after about two or three days. That may be because the tape is losing its tension - it will, after one day. Read up on taping in Part 2 of the Heel Pain Book, and try the simple method of two strips of tape connecting the ball of the foot and the heel. It's easy and economical and can be removed every night and fresh tape applied in the morning. This works well for me.

Rest is the most important factor in recovery, and you are doing that - good girl!

Icing does help reduce inflammation. You can freeze a water bottle or use a can of frozen orange juice(I didn't find these cold enough to make a difference, but you might). Ice cubes wrapped in a towel, or a gel pack wrapped in a towel. No more than 5 minutes at a time: too long can cause more inflammation.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Julie

Re: Question about operation - PS

Julie on 3/26/01 at 21:09 (042585)

Clara, sorry, I didn't read the whole of the thread before posting. Chemotherapy, if you had it, could certainly be contributing , and it may also be possible that there could have been nerve damageduring the surgery affecting your feet . What does the zone therapist think?

At any rate, you're only three months past major abdominal surgery so get plenty of rest! You need it, as well as your feet.

My best to you

Julie

wendyn on 3/26/01 at 22:49 (042598)

Dude. I should have been a doctor - that's what I was thinking...

Re: Question about operation - Answer

clara on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042603)

Hi!

No, I didn´t have chemotherapy, they 'only' operated away the matrix (is that the right name? we call it 'mother of life' in Sweden). This was a very painful thing for me, but I have two wonderful boys, so I´m happy for them.
The zonetherapist says that the heel area has a direct line thru the the legs to this area. I don´t know if it´s right. But I feel that maybe it´s in the right direction. I mean, I feel that somethings happeded in my whole body after this operation. I am now healthy from this 'cancer in situ' now. Perhaps I have to get some hormone medications to get well again. I´m thinking of osteoporos (boneloss), if that´s why my both feet are injuried.

Thanks for your answer - i´m happy to have you all out there!

And, Julie, you are right, it´s too early to get an feet-operation, I have got this for only 2 months, and when I read all other peoples histories I cry over them. I will test all other therapy first.

All the best to you all and thanks dr Zuckermann, I´ll take your answer with me to the orthopedic-doctor tomorrow.

Clara

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 11:28 (042510)

Hi,

First never operate on both heels period. I realize that you are in severe pain but you need to get another opinion and or further evaluation before an operation. The fact that you have pain in both feet means that it could be from your back and other lower extremity joints. A blood test may be necessary to rule out any arthritic related problem. Stress fracture needs to ruled out . MRI may be ordered to rule this out.

clara on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042519)

Hi dr Zuckerman!

Thank you for your answer. I will also tell you that a hysterectomia (because of 'cancer in situ') has been done in november -2000.
Sometimes I think it´s because of that operation my problems with the feet began, but the doctors will not think so. The zonetherapist do think so though.
I have so much pain that I feel I can do whatever to get better.
You also told me about MRI, I don´t know what it is?

Clara

wendyn on 3/26/01 at 13:54 (042534)

Clara - did you have chemotherapy as well as an operation?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 17:57 (042566)

Good comment about chemotherapy. This can cause peripheral neuropathy of the feet. An mri is a special type of x-ray that allows the doctor to view the joints. ligaments and tendons of the foot. It can rule out stress fracture of the heel .

Julie on 3/26/01 at 21:03 (042584)

Hi Clara

Two months is much too soon to be thinking about surgery. All the conservative treatments need to be followed diligently for at least six months first, and then - after following Dr Z's advice - you really ought to consider having ESWT first. You can read about it on this site.

I recall (I hope correctly) from your other post yesterday (which I didn't have time to respond to as I had to gom out) that you said taping wasn't helping after about two or three days. That may be because the tape is losing its tension - it will, after one day. Read up on taping in Part 2 of the Heel Pain Book, and try the simple method of two strips of tape connecting the ball of the foot and the heel. It's easy and economical and can be removed every night and fresh tape applied in the morning. This works well for me.

Rest is the most important factor in recovery, and you are doing that - good girl!

Icing does help reduce inflammation. You can freeze a water bottle or use a can of frozen orange juice(I didn't find these cold enough to make a difference, but you might). Ice cubes wrapped in a towel, or a gel pack wrapped in a towel. No more than 5 minutes at a time: too long can cause more inflammation.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Julie

Re: Question about operation - PS

Julie on 3/26/01 at 21:09 (042585)

Clara, sorry, I didn't read the whole of the thread before posting. Chemotherapy, if you had it, could certainly be contributing , and it may also be possible that there could have been nerve damageduring the surgery affecting your feet . What does the zone therapist think?

At any rate, you're only three months past major abdominal surgery so get plenty of rest! You need it, as well as your feet.

My best to you

Julie

wendyn on 3/26/01 at 22:49 (042598)

Dude. I should have been a doctor - that's what I was thinking...

Re: Question about operation - Answer

clara on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042603)

Hi!

No, I didn´t have chemotherapy, they 'only' operated away the matrix (is that the right name? we call it 'mother of life' in Sweden). This was a very painful thing for me, but I have two wonderful boys, so I´m happy for them.
The zonetherapist says that the heel area has a direct line thru the the legs to this area. I don´t know if it´s right. But I feel that maybe it´s in the right direction. I mean, I feel that somethings happeded in my whole body after this operation. I am now healthy from this 'cancer in situ' now. Perhaps I have to get some hormone medications to get well again. I´m thinking of osteoporos (boneloss), if that´s why my both feet are injuried.

Thanks for your answer - i´m happy to have you all out there!

And, Julie, you are right, it´s too early to get an feet-operation, I have got this for only 2 months, and when I read all other peoples histories I cry over them. I will test all other therapy first.

All the best to you all and thanks dr Zuckermann, I´ll take your answer with me to the orthopedic-doctor tomorrow.

Clara