Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain related to back problems

Posted by fiona p on 3/26/01 at 04:54 (042487)

5 years ago I suffered a prolapsed disc L5 S1 which never really recovered enough for me to back and play sport properly (I play lacrosse so needed to be able to sprint, twist & turn), although I was always able to jog etc.

IN the autumn I found a physio to help and after three months the pain had gone and I was discharged to play lacrosse again which I did. That first game I had a slight pain in my right foot - tender spot which I put down to playing in studs on hard ground, but it did not go away. I continued playing and running (about 10 miles every couple of days over the Christmas period), until one morning I woke and could not put weight on either of my feet. After two weeks of doing very little I went back to my physio who diagnose pf. For two weeks I had physio and taped the feet and was encouraged to walk.

After no imporvement I went to see a podiatrist who could find no reason why they would not heel so suggested a much stronger taping and no walking on them - swimming only. Three weeks later no improvement so went back to physio who dragged me around all his colleagues and no=one had any answers.

I decided that the tape may not help and removed it and almost immediatley the pf pain / heat in the foot went away - but I still cannot walk on them without pain the next moring / and a bruised feeling if I walk on them too long. My physio now thinks it might be the nerves - either in the feet, or in the back.

Has anyone come across this before - my physio is again injections until he knows the cause of the pain, but I am getting sick of not being able to walk for more than 5 mins and living in my trainers.

Any advice gratefully received.

Re: Heel pain related to back problems

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 11:32 (042512)

Hi,

It could be from your lower back . Plantar fasciitis is a repetitive motion injury that needs rest rest rest. No sports or running. The human body places over 125,000 pounds of weight each and every day on the foot from just walking. It is possible to develop stress fractures . If there is no sign of stress fracture and this has been ruled out then a local steriod injection could help alot provided that you rest and don't return to work until the plantar fascia has time to heal itself.

Re: Heel pain related to back problems

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 11:32 (042512)

Hi,

It could be from your lower back . Plantar fasciitis is a repetitive motion injury that needs rest rest rest. No sports or running. The human body places over 125,000 pounds of weight each and every day on the foot from just walking. It is possible to develop stress fractures . If there is no sign of stress fracture and this has been ruled out then a local steriod injection could help alot provided that you rest and don't return to work until the plantar fascia has time to heal itself.