Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Free Second Treatment?

Posted by Carol D on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042513)

I'm curious if anyone has heard that if the first Ossatron treatment is unsuccessful, then the second is free? I thought I'd read this on the message board but am not certain. Does anyone know? Dr. Z?

Re: Free Second Treatment?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 11:43 (042516)

Hi,

It would make sense to Dr. Z. This would be within the global period which I believe is 90 days from the first treatment. I really don't know what the policy is with ossatron treatments.

LisaCO on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042527)

Yes, this is true for some cases. I just had a second, 'free' treatment on on my right foot.

Healthtronics made an offer to my Pod to re-treat, and waive any fees associated with the Ossatron- any patients that had not had significant improvement within 12 weeks. HT is pretty adamant about the 12 week cutoff, though. I had to be in the ASC within 48 hours to take advantage of the deal. This seems to be a bonus for doctors who are newly trained; I don't know how long this offer will last. I did still have to pay the doctor's fees and the anesthesia charges, so I call it 'free'.

So far, I have not had to pay anything for the actual use of the Ossatron. For the first treatment, HT filed the treatment charges with my insurance company and told me I would have no co-pay on that round. The insurance company is still dragging their feet on this, but have paid the doctor's fees and anesthesia charges. My co-pay total for the first treatment (both feet) was less than $300. Unfortunately, I have switched insurance carriers since then, and this second treatment was not covered with the new insurance. (I figure that if I dollar-cost-average this, I am still getting a bargain here)

The good news is that this second treatment has helped! I was only about 20% improved in both feet from the first treatment, and only opted to re-treat the worst foot after what Dr. Reid reported about the study that indicated a higher failure rate when both feet are treated at the same time. I am almost 2 weeks post-treatment now, and am feeling significant improvement this time. I actually 'hustled' through a pedestrian zone in front of the grocery store yesterday with no pain at all!

john h on 3/26/01 at 18:40 (042570)

i specifically asked two doctors about 2nd treatments with ossatron as the old saying goes 'there is no free lunch' except in new jersey where you only pay for the spark plug.

Martha B. on 3/26/01 at 19:28 (042571)

In Toronto the second treatment if needed was $750 which is HALF PRICE. One zap was sufficient for me. Dont forget that the Sports Medicine machine is being moved very soon!

Re: To Martha

Barbara TX on 3/27/01 at 12:43 (042655)

Are they closing the facility altogether or just moving into another building? B.

Martha B. on 3/27/01 at 20:23 (042723)

It is my understanding that the machine was leased for awhile and I guess it goes to wherever Healthtronics is going to lease it next. I really dont know but it is leaving the Institute of Sports Medicine.

Dr.Marlene Reid on 3/27/01 at 23:29 (042741)

Healthtronics will not charge for a second treatment if it is necessary and performed within the first 12 weeks. I intend to see all patients at the 10 week point. With regards to insurances, HT does a very through job of precertifying and appealing, etc. They have been getting payments, but remember, insurance companies are also just learning about this treatment. I am surprised to hear so many of you that are not much better after the OssaTron, I think all of our patients so far are very much improved through the first 8 weeks.

Scott R on 3/28/01 at 07:39 (042766)

I was told OssaTRon is getting nearly 100% insurance coverage. But I don't know what percent of the costs are generally being covered.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 11:43 (042516)

Hi,

It would make sense to Dr. Z. This would be within the global period which I believe is 90 days from the first treatment. I really don't know what the policy is with ossatron treatments.

LisaCO on 3/26/01 at hrmin (042527)

Yes, this is true for some cases. I just had a second, 'free' treatment on on my right foot.

Healthtronics made an offer to my Pod to re-treat, and waive any fees associated with the Ossatron- any patients that had not had significant improvement within 12 weeks. HT is pretty adamant about the 12 week cutoff, though. I had to be in the ASC within 48 hours to take advantage of the deal. This seems to be a bonus for doctors who are newly trained; I don't know how long this offer will last. I did still have to pay the doctor's fees and the anesthesia charges, so I call it 'free'.

So far, I have not had to pay anything for the actual use of the Ossatron. For the first treatment, HT filed the treatment charges with my insurance company and told me I would have no co-pay on that round. The insurance company is still dragging their feet on this, but have paid the doctor's fees and anesthesia charges. My co-pay total for the first treatment (both feet) was less than $300. Unfortunately, I have switched insurance carriers since then, and this second treatment was not covered with the new insurance. (I figure that if I dollar-cost-average this, I am still getting a bargain here)

The good news is that this second treatment has helped! I was only about 20% improved in both feet from the first treatment, and only opted to re-treat the worst foot after what Dr. Reid reported about the study that indicated a higher failure rate when both feet are treated at the same time. I am almost 2 weeks post-treatment now, and am feeling significant improvement this time. I actually 'hustled' through a pedestrian zone in front of the grocery store yesterday with no pain at all!

john h on 3/26/01 at 18:40 (042570)

i specifically asked two doctors about 2nd treatments with ossatron as the old saying goes 'there is no free lunch' except in new jersey where you only pay for the spark plug.

Martha B. on 3/26/01 at 19:28 (042571)

In Toronto the second treatment if needed was $750 which is HALF PRICE. One zap was sufficient for me. Dont forget that the Sports Medicine machine is being moved very soon!

Barbara TX on 3/27/01 at 12:43 (042655)

Are they closing the facility altogether or just moving into another building? B.

Martha B. on 3/27/01 at 20:23 (042723)

It is my understanding that the machine was leased for awhile and I guess it goes to wherever Healthtronics is going to lease it next. I really dont know but it is leaving the Institute of Sports Medicine.

Dr.Marlene Reid on 3/27/01 at 23:29 (042741)

Healthtronics will not charge for a second treatment if it is necessary and performed within the first 12 weeks. I intend to see all patients at the 10 week point. With regards to insurances, HT does a very through job of precertifying and appealing, etc. They have been getting payments, but remember, insurance companies are also just learning about this treatment. I am surprised to hear so many of you that are not much better after the OssaTron, I think all of our patients so far are very much improved through the first 8 weeks.

Scott R on 3/28/01 at 07:39 (042766)

I was told OssaTRon is getting nearly 100% insurance coverage. But I don't know what percent of the costs are generally being covered.