Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery for plantar fascitis

Posted by Althea on 3/26/01 at 13:03 (042526)

Can someone tell me WHY it is possible for plantar fascitis pain to continue, sometimes even WORSE than before surgery, after the surgery has been done? If the fascia has been snipped and allowed to stop being pulled why should there still be pain????? Thank you.

Re: surgery for plantar fascitis

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 14:51 (042541)

Hi,

The fascia has been cut but the pain is still at the insertion. That is the reason I feel that ESWT works on cases where the pain is still at the insertion.

Althea on 3/26/01 at 18:30 (042567)

Thank you for answering Dr. Zuckerman. Actually it is the whole heel that is still painful after my plantar fasciotomy (arthroscopic). I am growing more concerned every day. My surgery was in December. I have been going to physical therapy and it has not proven to be of much help. I don't know what to do at this point.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/01 at 13:51 (042663)

It can take six months or more for the pain to go away. You may need to be placed into a boot cast. I have used ESWT on cases like yours and resolved the heel pain.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/27/01 at 23:35 (042742)

If a band is tight(like a rubber band) and it is cut close to the attachment where it is pulling, it will release the tightness and release the pain. So exact location of the release is not the answer to your problem. If some fibers of the band are not released, that part of the tightness and hence the pain will remain. Other factors post op can cause pain: release of the muscles, scar tissue, etc. That is why ESW is such a good alternative. No one has ever been made worse by it (to my knowledge).

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 14:51 (042541)

Hi,

The fascia has been cut but the pain is still at the insertion. That is the reason I feel that ESWT works on cases where the pain is still at the insertion.

Althea on 3/26/01 at 18:30 (042567)

Thank you for answering Dr. Zuckerman. Actually it is the whole heel that is still painful after my plantar fasciotomy (arthroscopic). I am growing more concerned every day. My surgery was in December. I have been going to physical therapy and it has not proven to be of much help. I don't know what to do at this point.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/01 at 13:51 (042663)

It can take six months or more for the pain to go away. You may need to be placed into a boot cast. I have used ESWT on cases like yours and resolved the heel pain.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/27/01 at 23:35 (042742)

If a band is tight(like a rubber band) and it is cut close to the attachment where it is pulling, it will release the tightness and release the pain. So exact location of the release is not the answer to your problem. If some fibers of the band are not released, that part of the tightness and hence the pain will remain. Other factors post op can cause pain: release of the muscles, scar tissue, etc. That is why ESW is such a good alternative. No one has ever been made worse by it (to my knowledge).