Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Excellent newspaper story on EWST

Posted by Beverly on 3/26/01 at 13:40 (042529)

Hi all,

In this morning's newspaper there was an excellent article about EWST. Since it was from a wire service, it's probably popping up in other places too.
(I'm in Texas.)

It begins with the human interest angle - one patient's story... her journey of misery and then success with EWST. It goes on to give some basic info about foot pain.

The article says that medicare is now covering this. (?) That doesn't apply for me... to young yet, but thought that was interesting.

It says EWST has been 'federally approved for patients with pain lasting six months + who haave not been helped by two or more different treatments.'
(That sounds like a good argument to use with insurance co. when trying to get it approved.)

Here is the part I found most interesting:
It says that lean people or moderately overweight have more success with EWST than obese. I fall in the moderately overweight camp. It says that six months after treatment pain ratings (from a study doen by American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons) were 0.6 for lean people, 1 for moderately overweight, and 3.7 for the obese. This helped affirm to me that perhaps trying to loose at least 10 pounds, hopefully more before I give this a whirl this summer might be the extra boost I need.

It also lists possible side effects and who should not have it. Side effects listed were: numbness, tingling, bruising and blood vessel damage. That people with diebetic nueropathy, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis, cancer or nerve entrapment are not good candiates for this. I know I don't have any of the first stuff. I guess I would have to have nerve entrapment ruled out. I don't have tingling and so far no one has wanted to test me beyond in the office tapping on my feet/ankles.

So, Dr. Z., B., Reid, and any of the rest of you out there, did you see this article and what do you think?
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Excellent but wrong about Medicare

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 14:08 (042538)

Good article!!!

The sad thing about this article is that it came from a conference by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeon and the information about Medicare covering ESWT is completely wrong. I reviewed this press release from the ACFAS and asked them if it was true about Medicare. They researched this and then told me that it was wrong and that they were going to change the part about Medicare. Apparently they didn't change this or the press release was released before I pointed out this mistake.

I don't understand why the change wasn't made. Oh well I guess you can't believe all that you read in the newspaper's. The ESWT information is very good, just the statement about medicare is false. It will take at least one year or more before medicare takes a look at this.

JudyS on 3/27/01 at 10:53 (042633)

TexBev, Dr. Z , do you know of a way we can get a copy of that article? It wasn't in our San Diego paper.

Brian G on 3/27/01 at 11:29 (042645)

Hi Judy,

I saw it at http://www.usatoday.com
Click on news, then health. I assume it's the same article

BG

Re: Excellent newspaper story on EWST

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/27/01 at 23:49 (042743)

Okay, here some more background on the story. I was part of the PR committee from the ACFAS that decided to do a story on ESW during the ACFAS Annual Meeting. The ACFAS picked Dr. Eickmeier's research as the most 'newsworthy' report. The press release was sent out before I say the final copy and before Dr. Eichmeier saw it. I am not sure who actually reviewed it, but there were several mistakes. One being medicare coverage. The other mistake that I remember was that it said the shockwave works on the bone, but that info came from the work being done with shockwave on nonunions, not PF. Also, the list of contraindications is because it had not been tested on people with those problems. The other thing Healthtronics makes clear is that it does not treat PTT. In our training it was a big discussion point. I make it clear to my patients that I will perform it on someone with TTS (some people felt that Healthtronics does not want it done on those with TTS) as well as PF but that it does not directly tx TTS. I do feel that TTS often developes secondary to PF down the road in many instances.

Several of you have emailed me asking me to post my office info. The number for Dr. Kosova and I is (630) 852-8650. We are just outside Chicago.

Re: Dr. Reid, do you mean PTT or TTS?

Beverly on 3/28/01 at 14:01 (042810)

Dr Reid,

Thank you for those corrections. I'm confused on one point. Were you talking about PTT or TTS or both in regards to contraindications:

You wrote, 'The other thing Healthtronics makes
clear is that it does not treat PTT. In our training it was a big discussion point. I make it clear to my patients that I will perform it
on someone with TTS (some people felt that Healthtronics does not want it done on those with TTS) as well as PF but that it
does not directly tx TTS. I do feel that TTS often developes secondary to PF down the road in many instances.'

I was confused if that was perhaps a typo. Did you mean PTT for the whole paragraph? I do not have TTS. I have PTT that came after I developed PF.
Thankyou,
Beverly

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/28/01 at 20:58 (042871)

Sorry, I guess I was thinking faster then I was typing. The discussion with Healthtronics was about TTS.

PTT is also seen often with PF and will also NOT be directly tx with ESW. But, may respond once the PF is better. Or not. Its sort of the chicken and egg thing. Pronation causes PF and PTTD. PTTD causes pronation, which causes PF. PF can cause an altered gait, which can cause PTTD. And so on and so on and so on.
The point is, while other problems MAY get better as the heel does, they will most likely need to be addressed seperately.

Re: Dr. Reid, thank you for clearing up my confusion

Beverly on 3/29/01 at 12:16 (042930)

Dr. Reid,

Thank you so much for clearing up my confusion.
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/01 at 14:08 (042538)

Good article!!!

The sad thing about this article is that it came from a conference by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeon and the information about Medicare covering ESWT is completely wrong. I reviewed this press release from the ACFAS and asked them if it was true about Medicare. They researched this and then told me that it was wrong and that they were going to change the part about Medicare. Apparently they didn't change this or the press release was released before I pointed out this mistake.

I don't understand why the change wasn't made. Oh well I guess you can't believe all that you read in the newspaper's. The ESWT information is very good, just the statement about medicare is false. It will take at least one year or more before medicare takes a look at this.

JudyS on 3/27/01 at 10:53 (042633)

TexBev, Dr. Z , do you know of a way we can get a copy of that article? It wasn't in our San Diego paper.

Brian G on 3/27/01 at 11:29 (042645)

Hi Judy,

I saw it at http://www.usatoday.com
Click on news, then health. I assume it's the same article

BG

Re: Excellent newspaper story on EWST

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/27/01 at 23:49 (042743)

Okay, here some more background on the story. I was part of the PR committee from the ACFAS that decided to do a story on ESW during the ACFAS Annual Meeting. The ACFAS picked Dr. Eickmeier's research as the most 'newsworthy' report. The press release was sent out before I say the final copy and before Dr. Eichmeier saw it. I am not sure who actually reviewed it, but there were several mistakes. One being medicare coverage. The other mistake that I remember was that it said the shockwave works on the bone, but that info came from the work being done with shockwave on nonunions, not PF. Also, the list of contraindications is because it had not been tested on people with those problems. The other thing Healthtronics makes clear is that it does not treat PTT. In our training it was a big discussion point. I make it clear to my patients that I will perform it on someone with TTS (some people felt that Healthtronics does not want it done on those with TTS) as well as PF but that it does not directly tx TTS. I do feel that TTS often developes secondary to PF down the road in many instances.

Several of you have emailed me asking me to post my office info. The number for Dr. Kosova and I is (630) 852-8650. We are just outside Chicago.

Beverly on 3/28/01 at 14:01 (042810)

Dr Reid,

Thank you for those corrections. I'm confused on one point. Were you talking about PTT or TTS or both in regards to contraindications:

You wrote, 'The other thing Healthtronics makes
clear is that it does not treat PTT. In our training it was a big discussion point. I make it clear to my patients that I will perform it
on someone with TTS (some people felt that Healthtronics does not want it done on those with TTS) as well as PF but that it
does not directly tx TTS. I do feel that TTS often developes secondary to PF down the road in many instances.'

I was confused if that was perhaps a typo. Did you mean PTT for the whole paragraph? I do not have TTS. I have PTT that came after I developed PF.
Thankyou,
Beverly

Dr. Marlene Reid on 3/28/01 at 20:58 (042871)

Sorry, I guess I was thinking faster then I was typing. The discussion with Healthtronics was about TTS.

PTT is also seen often with PF and will also NOT be directly tx with ESW. But, may respond once the PF is better. Or not. Its sort of the chicken and egg thing. Pronation causes PF and PTTD. PTTD causes pronation, which causes PF. PF can cause an altered gait, which can cause PTTD. And so on and so on and so on.
The point is, while other problems MAY get better as the heel does, they will most likely need to be addressed seperately.

Re: Dr. Reid, thank you for clearing up my confusion

Beverly on 3/29/01 at 12:16 (042930)

Dr. Reid,

Thank you so much for clearing up my confusion.
Beverly