Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vein wrap during tarsal tunnel release

Posted by Matt L on 3/26/01 at 14:03 (042537)

I recently visited a surgeon who performs a specialized procedure on patients with recalcitrant cases of tts, typically those who have had a failed release operation. The procedure involves harvesting a vein from the patient's leg (similar to a heart by-pass) and delicately wrapping the vein around the affected nerve. The 'vein wrap' serves to buffer or insulate the nerve. It is a very tedious procedure but evidently it has worked for some. I'm not there yet but ultimately may be a candidate for this procedure. Does anybody have any knowledge that they care to share on this?

Re: Vein wrap during tarsal tunnel release

wendyn on 3/26/01 at 17:29 (042564)

I have heard of it, but I have no knowledge.

eileenc on 3/27/01 at 07:59 (042614)

I have heard of it too. There is also a procedure where 'fat' is placed around the nerve to cushion it. If you know of any Dr. who does this procedure please post the particulars. I am definitely a candidate.

Matt L on 3/27/01 at 11:00 (042636)

Dr. Lew Schon in Baltimore at Union Memorial. Phone 410-554-2891

Bob Ray on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042700)

The purpose of the vein wrap or fat wrap is to prevent scar tissue formation after surgery. There is ,also, a method of radiating the nerve and surrounding tissue to prevent scar tissue from forming. Does anyone know more about this?

Chad H on 4/02/01 at 14:50 (043343)

I have talked to Dr. Tom Lee in Columbus, Ohio about a vein wrap. In this case, the actual wrap would be performed by a microvascular surgeon. I have asked that Dr. Lee (foot and ankle orthodedic) perform the release and reconstruction, and the microvascular surgeon perform the wrap.

I have put this surgery on hold, as it would be my 4th in as many years on my TTS. I will likely have it done sometime in the next year or so. I also want to keep evaluating other options.

wendyn on 3/26/01 at 17:29 (042564)

I have heard of it, but I have no knowledge.

eileenc on 3/27/01 at 07:59 (042614)

I have heard of it too. There is also a procedure where 'fat' is placed around the nerve to cushion it. If you know of any Dr. who does this procedure please post the particulars. I am definitely a candidate.

Matt L on 3/27/01 at 11:00 (042636)

Dr. Lew Schon in Baltimore at Union Memorial. Phone 410-554-2891

Bob Ray on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042700)

The purpose of the vein wrap or fat wrap is to prevent scar tissue formation after surgery. There is ,also, a method of radiating the nerve and surrounding tissue to prevent scar tissue from forming. Does anyone know more about this?

Chad H on 4/02/01 at 14:50 (043343)

I have talked to Dr. Tom Lee in Columbus, Ohio about a vein wrap. In this case, the actual wrap would be performed by a microvascular surgeon. I have asked that Dr. Lee (foot and ankle orthodedic) perform the release and reconstruction, and the microvascular surgeon perform the wrap.

I have put this surgery on hold, as it would be my 4th in as many years on my TTS. I will likely have it done sometime in the next year or so. I also want to keep evaluating other options.