Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What's It Like Wearing Shoes Post-Surgery?

Posted by Scott2 on 3/26/01 at 15:38 (042552)

I am just starting to wear a shoe on my surgical foot for the first time since surgery. I was wondering from others who have already gone through this what it was like?

What did you feel?
What can I expect?
Did you have any pain? If so, where?
How long did it take before you felt no pain or being uncomfortable?

My foot seems to fatique easily and I have feelings that are similar to my pre-surgery state. I have no calf muscle due to all of the days of non-weight bearing and being in the cam-walker. I am doing exercises to strengthen the calf. Any input would be of great value to me. Thanks!

Re: What's It Like Wearing Shoes Post-Surgery?

chris d on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042612)

I wore sneakers for about 2-3 weeks following surgery, mostly because they were comfortable and I ddin't feel like wearing heels! I think everyone is different so what occurred for me will probably be different for you...I switch between 3-4 different dress shoes for work...one pair of flats (no probs with them) a pair of clogs, which felt wierd at first but were the most comfortable for a while and my favorites a pair ( I call them men's shoes with heels) that hurt badly for a while. I felt as though the edge was cutting into my scar and that was painful. I don't remember when I started wearing tham but they are now comfortable. And, of course my bowling shoes...which cause no pain at all any more! I started PT in Feb and that helped the most...they had me stand on a trapoline on the surgery foot 5x for 30 seconds each time and then with my eyes closed for 5x 10 sec a time...a lot harder than it sounds...that has helped with strengthening my ankle and calf. Hope this helps.

Re: What's It Like Wearing Shoes Post-Surgery?

chris d on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042612)

I wore sneakers for about 2-3 weeks following surgery, mostly because they were comfortable and I ddin't feel like wearing heels! I think everyone is different so what occurred for me will probably be different for you...I switch between 3-4 different dress shoes for work...one pair of flats (no probs with them) a pair of clogs, which felt wierd at first but were the most comfortable for a while and my favorites a pair ( I call them men's shoes with heels) that hurt badly for a while. I felt as though the edge was cutting into my scar and that was painful. I don't remember when I started wearing tham but they are now comfortable. And, of course my bowling shoes...which cause no pain at all any more! I started PT in Feb and that helped the most...they had me stand on a trapoline on the surgery foot 5x for 30 seconds each time and then with my eyes closed for 5x 10 sec a time...a lot harder than it sounds...that has helped with strengthening my ankle and calf. Hope this helps.