Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

i am joining!

Posted by clara on 3/27/01 at 02:36 (042606)

Hello! I am Clara and I live in Sweden. I think this is a very good site, i am so happy I found it. At first, I tried to search at the swedish name for heel spurs ('hälsporrar') - then almost nothing happened, and then I tried the english version, and what happened! I found you! I´m so greatful!

I have heel(l!)spurs on both feet for 2 months and I can´t walk. It´s so devastating! I thought I was alone on this planet with this - but here you are! And I have hade it in only 2 months - i should be greatful! I´m so sorry for all of you who had it for several years!
I have read all your posts and I feel a lot for you, all this pain! I´m no more alone - and thanks for being there (but I do not wish ANYWONE to have this painful heelspurs)!.

Clara

Re: i am joining! -- welcome Clara

Nancy S. on 3/27/01 at 03:24 (042607)

Welcome to you, Clara! I've been reading your posts over the past couple of days, and I know you're having a hard time. You most definitely are not alone! But please don't feel funny or whatever that you've had PF for 'only' two months. By two months into it, I too was at wits' end and was watching my normal life go down the drain.
In May it will have been two years since I first got PF and it's been a long, hard road, but I want to tell you that I'm much, much better now -- from constant searching and resting and trying different treatments until I found the ones that worked best for me. And time itself helped, I know. So it all takes a lot of patience, and can be very depressing at times -- most everyone here experiences that -- but hang on to your hope, because it can get better.
This site absolutely saved me, so I'm glad you found it too Best of luck to you, and use this support board when you're really struggling emotionally with this affliction, because the people here are great and will bolster you up when you need it.
Nancy

Re: i am joining! -- thank you Nancy S!

Clara on 3/27/01 at 03:35 (042608)

Hi again! Thank you Nancy for being there!! Are you from England?
How did you do to get better? I found out now that I have to let the time go, and don´t rush on like I use to do. I have studied to a librarian for over 4 years, have 2 (wonderful) sons, an likewise husband, I have lots to be happy for. I used to be happy...now I am 'down the drain' like you say you was before. I had just began to work as a librarian, and then after only a year, I cannot work with the most wonderful job that I have dreamt about in all my life, since I was a little girl - and so - I lie here!
Oh, Gosh, I am reeeeaaly down the drain!
But I feel a little better when I know you folks are around!

My best to you all

Clara

john h on 3/27/01 at 08:27 (042619)

welcome aboard the pain train clara! as one who has had this for only two months you have an EXCELLENT chance to shake it off! lots of good things to try here.

Re: i am joining! tell me how!?

Clara on 3/27/01 at 08:32 (042621)

Hi John h and all of you on 'the train'!
Tell me what you suggest me to do. Is it only to shake it off? Well, that sounds easy.
I am concidering to buy a 'Heel Hugger' (my chiropractor tells me to do so) but I don´t know if it´s worth it. But I´ll try anything, only if it helps!

Julie on 3/27/01 at 08:56 (042623)

Hi again Clara

And welcome again, this time to the social board (all the same people, you'll find).

There are so many things you can do! You've read the Heel Pain Book. Now print it out and read it many times over, and try things out. PF is a very individual matter, as most of us have discovered.

Taping gives support, icing reduces inflammation. I've found both helpful; not everyone does. Stretching works for some but you need to be careful - and as you are in a lot of pain, you shouldn't do any weight-bearing stretches. Rest rest rest is what Dr Z always says is the main ingredient of successful healing, and you're resting resting resting, which is great.

I've no experience of the Heel Hugger, but others have tried it. You can use the Search function to call up old posts on the subject and find out what others have thought of it. But remember that what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. Conversely, what hasn't worked for someone else may work for you. It's a process of trial and error. And patience.

As John says, you've had this for only two months, so there is a really good chance that you'll be able to get on top of it quickly. It's when it has gone on for a long time that it takes a lot longer to heal.

All the best

Julie

Brian G on 3/27/01 at 09:07 (042624)

Hi Clara,

Welcome to our world of pain. I wanted to add that sometimes along with pain, some people will have depression. You might want to talk to your doctor about this. There are some new anti depressants that are very effective in small doses. This might help you some while your working on your cure. Good luck.

BG

Re: i am joining!

JudyS on 3/27/01 at 10:44 (042632)

Hi Clara! Such a shame that you're being welcomed aboard the 'pain train' under these circumstances - but you've certainly found the right place!
Like you, I was shocked to find that PF is so chronic with so many folks (we're not alone!) but, like John, I must hasten to say that, at only 2 months, you stand an extremely good chance of recovering relatively quickly. Many of us who became chronic over a long period of time did so because we didn't treat ourselves and our feet properly at the outset.
Believe me, most 'traditional' treatments work - IF you do them. The most important one being to not use your feet if you don't have to. Going to the washroom is one thing, walking around a mall or even standing at your job all day is another. Are you a librarian now? Can you take a 'disability' break from that? Please don't think that you'll have to give up your life's dream because you don't!
While PF is terribly tenacious, it is also curable!
Right now just commit to doing the traditional stuff regularly. That would be
1. No more walking than necessary - and never without shoes.
2. Ice for about 10 minutes 3 times a day
3. Ibuprofen - regularly! (If your tummy can handle it)
4. Gentle stretching of the backs of your legs from calf muscles to hamstrings. Very gentle! Or none at all if it seems to increase your PF soreness.
5. Massage - gotta keep that circulation up.
6. Many doctors recommend strengthening exercises for your feet and lower legs, but many of us have found that, initially, strengtheners just increase soreness.
7. Good quality shoes. Many here swear by Birkenstocks - but some have Achille soreness from them. Good quality brands include, Clark, Josef Seibel, Mephisto and more that folks here will identify for you. Most of these brands are expensive (about $100.00 US) but WELL worth it.
8. If you have sore heels in the morning when you get up, devote yourself to massaging and VERY gentle leg stretching for about 10 minutes before you get up - that will make a huge difference. Lots of folks here
have found success with wearing a 'night-splint' through the nite to alleviate that morning pain. If your doctor doesn't have one, check Scott's 'product' site here. Check with us too - some have night-splints they no longer use.

Well, I got long-winded here and I apologize for that but again - you stand a very good chance of winning this battle if you devote yourself to regular treatment, daily, for the next couple of months, at least.
Stay with us!

Re: i am joining! to Judy S

Clara on 3/27/01 at 11:11 (042640)

Hi Judy!

Nice to have new friends on this 'train of pain'!.
I thank you for your good advices, I will test them all, and I am greatful for your recommendations.
I´ll do anything at all - but not operate my feet, it´s sound so painful!

Thank you guys, I will stay with you 'till the bitter end...' of this pain!
I have already done a list of things I want to do when I get better. Such as be more greatful towards life!!!!!

And I have now the oppertunety to be able to read all the books I want, look at all the movies I have missed, and so on. I talk with friends I´ve 'forgotten', or perhaps not had 'time' to call, and so on. I have now plenty of time doing things I didn´t before. My chef at work are very understanding and thinks that I need to rest. I can work later, he says, when I get better. I have time-off from work for a while, but I will not need to quit. Let it take the time it needs, he says. I am so greatful with that.

Clara

Laurie R on 3/27/01 at 13:50 (042662)

Hi Clara,
I would also like to welcome you to the board. I am glad you found this site too. It has helped me so much ....You will find the most caring and compassionate people here as I did. My very best to you. Laurie R

Beverly on 3/27/01 at 14:19 (042672)

Clara,

Welcome. This board has absolutely saved my sanity this past year. And I've learned more here than I ever did from my doctors.
If you are curious about a topic, do a word search, and you'll get scads of information.
This is a real trial and error condition. What works for some doesn't do zip for others.
Here is what has helped me the most in order:
rest (Sadly, like you getting away from work/activities I loved.)
Birks (classic footbed) and completely getting away from my old shoes
Physical Therapy with deep tissue massage to affected areas and stretching instructions guided by the PT
ice/heat combinations spaced throughout the day

I have not had luck with orthodics but some here have. When they work, they work really well.

One advantage you have is being in Europe. Your medical treatments tend to get approved before ours do.

I am so sorry you are in such bad shape. Remember that we represent the hard to heal (parden my pun). Most people with PF get over it in six months to a year. Let's hope you fall into that catagory.
Beverly

Re: Välkommen!

Lori E. on 3/27/01 at 18:32 (042701)

Hej Clara,
Jag kan talar lite svenska. I am taking swedish in collage and I am traveling to Sweden at the end of May.
I am happy you found this board to help you in your recovery. You are doing the right thing by resting. You are lucky you have a boss who wants you to take the time to get better. I was not so fortunate and didn't get off my feet soon enough and my PF became chronic. You are smart to start resting so early and may be able to make a recovery in a few more months with dilligent rest. Do not ignore your pain.
There are many treatments to try, keep trying and you will find the right combination for you. I have tried taping, orthodics, cortisone shots, a night splint, stretching, physical therapy, and lots and lots of shoes. One thing to do is to get shower shoes(when everyone says never go barefoot, it means even while you are in the shower.) That way you are not standing barefoot on the hard floor while you bathe.
I had ESWT twice, the first in Dec. 2000, and the second about 6 weeks ago. I am making progress and have reduced my pain levels significantly enough to not have to take my pain medication every day. I also use my Personal Foot Trainer (PFT) every morning before I get out of bed and massage my feet and calves gently before stretching. Make sure to barely stretch if you stretch at all, so you don't reinjure your feet.
If you are having signs of depression, make sure to get treated for that too. Once you are in a pain cycle it is hard to break out of it and anti-depressants really help while you recover. I have been there and there is no need to feel so low on top of all your pain.
Jag hoppas att du lyckas!

Re: lory & beverly & all!

Clara on 3/28/01 at 00:14 (042745)

Hi! WOW! Thank you!!!
I´m going to the doctor´s today, let´s see if he is going to give me a good advice, i´m hoping for an x-ray on my legs. I will take my answers from dr Zuckerman with me. I think this is so nice, to have all this 'soulmates' out there on this planet, that the first I do in the mornings is to 'check' the board! I have never been so happy for a couple of months now.
So many people concearnes about me, and I do have a lot of friends in my life, but they don´t suffer, and they cannot feel this horrible pain like we do. We have really much in common!

Friends, have a nice day! (or? I suppose many sleeps 'over there'! Here in Sweden is it 08.00 in the morning and the sun is going up!)

Clara

ps. To Lori: Roligt att du kan prata svenska! ds

Julie on 3/28/01 at 03:08 (042755)

Clara, good morning and good luck at the doctor's today. The reason you've made so many new friends so quickly is that you've been so sunny and warm yourself, so thank you for bringing your lovely new presence to the board.

Right now you're needing a lot of help and support yourself, but before long you'll be using your experience and compassion to help others. That's something for you to look forward to! Keep aboard, it's nice you're here.

Julie

Kay S on 3/28/01 at 15:08 (042823)

Welcome, Clara. Even though your reason for 'joining' is a negative one, you will find that the people here very positive and helpful. Hopefully, your pf will be short-lived and you can just stay on to chat with those still struggling with the pf monster!
One bit of advice, along with what everyone else has said so far: don't try to do everything at once. Sometimes we all get so anxious that we attempt too many 'cures' at the same time, and then it is difficult to know what helped and what didn't. Give each new approach, whether it is exercise or different shoes or orthotics or therapy........at least a week's trial. At the end of the week you can evaluate whether you are better or not, and then add something new or drop what you had been doing.
We have all experienced that desperation to get better, but please try to muster up the patience to stick with this slow process of healing. I really think you will!
Kay

wendyn on 3/28/01 at 17:40 (042852)

Clara - I wanted you to know that I absolutely LOVE reading your posts! Your English is adorable and I smile every time...!

:)

Re: Wendyn! My adorable english!

Clara on 3/29/01 at 01:53 (042884)

Hi Wendyn!

Well,it´s fun that I can make other people happy!!! My english is not the best, I have not been practising so much. In my work I talk a lot english, and, yes, people are smiling every time I open my mouth...but I´m not afraid, I think you´ll understand me, and don´t stop having fun, - this is the Muppet Show!!

;-)

Clara

Nancy S. on 3/27/01 at 03:24 (042607)

Welcome to you, Clara! I've been reading your posts over the past couple of days, and I know you're having a hard time. You most definitely are not alone! But please don't feel funny or whatever that you've had PF for 'only' two months. By two months into it, I too was at wits' end and was watching my normal life go down the drain.
In May it will have been two years since I first got PF and it's been a long, hard road, but I want to tell you that I'm much, much better now -- from constant searching and resting and trying different treatments until I found the ones that worked best for me. And time itself helped, I know. So it all takes a lot of patience, and can be very depressing at times -- most everyone here experiences that -- but hang on to your hope, because it can get better.
This site absolutely saved me, so I'm glad you found it too Best of luck to you, and use this support board when you're really struggling emotionally with this affliction, because the people here are great and will bolster you up when you need it.
Nancy

Re: i am joining! -- thank you Nancy S!

Clara on 3/27/01 at 03:35 (042608)

Hi again! Thank you Nancy for being there!! Are you from England?
How did you do to get better? I found out now that I have to let the time go, and don´t rush on like I use to do. I have studied to a librarian for over 4 years, have 2 (wonderful) sons, an likewise husband, I have lots to be happy for. I used to be happy...now I am 'down the drain' like you say you was before. I had just began to work as a librarian, and then after only a year, I cannot work with the most wonderful job that I have dreamt about in all my life, since I was a little girl - and so - I lie here!
Oh, Gosh, I am reeeeaaly down the drain!
But I feel a little better when I know you folks are around!

My best to you all

Clara

john h on 3/27/01 at 08:27 (042619)

welcome aboard the pain train clara! as one who has had this for only two months you have an EXCELLENT chance to shake it off! lots of good things to try here.

Clara on 3/27/01 at 08:32 (042621)

Hi John h and all of you on 'the train'!
Tell me what you suggest me to do. Is it only to shake it off? Well, that sounds easy.
I am concidering to buy a 'Heel Hugger' (my chiropractor tells me to do so) but I don´t know if it´s worth it. But I´ll try anything, only if it helps!

Julie on 3/27/01 at 08:56 (042623)

Hi again Clara

And welcome again, this time to the social board (all the same people, you'll find).

There are so many things you can do! You've read the Heel Pain Book. Now print it out and read it many times over, and try things out. PF is a very individual matter, as most of us have discovered.

Taping gives support, icing reduces inflammation. I've found both helpful; not everyone does. Stretching works for some but you need to be careful - and as you are in a lot of pain, you shouldn't do any weight-bearing stretches. Rest rest rest is what Dr Z always says is the main ingredient of successful healing, and you're resting resting resting, which is great.

I've no experience of the Heel Hugger, but others have tried it. You can use the Search function to call up old posts on the subject and find out what others have thought of it. But remember that what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. Conversely, what hasn't worked for someone else may work for you. It's a process of trial and error. And patience.

As John says, you've had this for only two months, so there is a really good chance that you'll be able to get on top of it quickly. It's when it has gone on for a long time that it takes a lot longer to heal.

All the best

Julie

Brian G on 3/27/01 at 09:07 (042624)

Hi Clara,

Welcome to our world of pain. I wanted to add that sometimes along with pain, some people will have depression. You might want to talk to your doctor about this. There are some new anti depressants that are very effective in small doses. This might help you some while your working on your cure. Good luck.

BG

JudyS on 3/27/01 at 10:44 (042632)

Hi Clara! Such a shame that you're being welcomed aboard the 'pain train' under these circumstances - but you've certainly found the right place!
Like you, I was shocked to find that PF is so chronic with so many folks (we're not alone!) but, like John, I must hasten to say that, at only 2 months, you stand an extremely good chance of recovering relatively quickly. Many of us who became chronic over a long period of time did so because we didn't treat ourselves and our feet properly at the outset.
Believe me, most 'traditional' treatments work - IF you do them. The most important one being to not use your feet if you don't have to. Going to the washroom is one thing, walking around a mall or even standing at your job all day is another. Are you a librarian now? Can you take a 'disability' break from that? Please don't think that you'll have to give up your life's dream because you don't!
While PF is terribly tenacious, it is also curable!
Right now just commit to doing the traditional stuff regularly. That would be
1. No more walking than necessary - and never without shoes.
2. Ice for about 10 minutes 3 times a day
3. Ibuprofen - regularly! (If your tummy can handle it)
4. Gentle stretching of the backs of your legs from calf muscles to hamstrings. Very gentle! Or none at all if it seems to increase your PF soreness.
5. Massage - gotta keep that circulation up.
6. Many doctors recommend strengthening exercises for your feet and lower legs, but many of us have found that, initially, strengtheners just increase soreness.
7. Good quality shoes. Many here swear by Birkenstocks - but some have Achille soreness from them. Good quality brands include, Clark, Josef Seibel, Mephisto and more that folks here will identify for you. Most of these brands are expensive (about $100.00 US) but WELL worth it.
8. If you have sore heels in the morning when you get up, devote yourself to massaging and VERY gentle leg stretching for about 10 minutes before you get up - that will make a huge difference. Lots of folks here
have found success with wearing a 'night-splint' through the nite to alleviate that morning pain. If your doctor doesn't have one, check Scott's 'product' site here. Check with us too - some have night-splints they no longer use.

Well, I got long-winded here and I apologize for that but again - you stand a very good chance of winning this battle if you devote yourself to regular treatment, daily, for the next couple of months, at least.
Stay with us!

Re: i am joining! to Judy S

Clara on 3/27/01 at 11:11 (042640)

Hi Judy!

Nice to have new friends on this 'train of pain'!.
I thank you for your good advices, I will test them all, and I am greatful for your recommendations.
I´ll do anything at all - but not operate my feet, it´s sound so painful!

Thank you guys, I will stay with you 'till the bitter end...' of this pain!
I have already done a list of things I want to do when I get better. Such as be more greatful towards life!!!!!

And I have now the oppertunety to be able to read all the books I want, look at all the movies I have missed, and so on. I talk with friends I´ve 'forgotten', or perhaps not had 'time' to call, and so on. I have now plenty of time doing things I didn´t before. My chef at work are very understanding and thinks that I need to rest. I can work later, he says, when I get better. I have time-off from work for a while, but I will not need to quit. Let it take the time it needs, he says. I am so greatful with that.

Clara

Laurie R on 3/27/01 at 13:50 (042662)

Hi Clara,
I would also like to welcome you to the board. I am glad you found this site too. It has helped me so much ....You will find the most caring and compassionate people here as I did. My very best to you. Laurie R

Beverly on 3/27/01 at 14:19 (042672)

Clara,

Welcome. This board has absolutely saved my sanity this past year. And I've learned more here than I ever did from my doctors.
If you are curious about a topic, do a word search, and you'll get scads of information.
This is a real trial and error condition. What works for some doesn't do zip for others.
Here is what has helped me the most in order:
rest (Sadly, like you getting away from work/activities I loved.)
Birks (classic footbed) and completely getting away from my old shoes
Physical Therapy with deep tissue massage to affected areas and stretching instructions guided by the PT
ice/heat combinations spaced throughout the day

I have not had luck with orthodics but some here have. When they work, they work really well.

One advantage you have is being in Europe. Your medical treatments tend to get approved before ours do.

I am so sorry you are in such bad shape. Remember that we represent the hard to heal (parden my pun). Most people with PF get over it in six months to a year. Let's hope you fall into that catagory.
Beverly

Re: Välkommen!

Lori E. on 3/27/01 at 18:32 (042701)

Hej Clara,
Jag kan talar lite svenska. I am taking swedish in collage and I am traveling to Sweden at the end of May.
I am happy you found this board to help you in your recovery. You are doing the right thing by resting. You are lucky you have a boss who wants you to take the time to get better. I was not so fortunate and didn't get off my feet soon enough and my PF became chronic. You are smart to start resting so early and may be able to make a recovery in a few more months with dilligent rest. Do not ignore your pain.
There are many treatments to try, keep trying and you will find the right combination for you. I have tried taping, orthodics, cortisone shots, a night splint, stretching, physical therapy, and lots and lots of shoes. One thing to do is to get shower shoes(when everyone says never go barefoot, it means even while you are in the shower.) That way you are not standing barefoot on the hard floor while you bathe.
I had ESWT twice, the first in Dec. 2000, and the second about 6 weeks ago. I am making progress and have reduced my pain levels significantly enough to not have to take my pain medication every day. I also use my Personal Foot Trainer (PFT) every morning before I get out of bed and massage my feet and calves gently before stretching. Make sure to barely stretch if you stretch at all, so you don't reinjure your feet.
If you are having signs of depression, make sure to get treated for that too. Once you are in a pain cycle it is hard to break out of it and anti-depressants really help while you recover. I have been there and there is no need to feel so low on top of all your pain.
Jag hoppas att du lyckas!

Clara on 3/28/01 at 00:14 (042745)

Hi! WOW! Thank you!!!
I´m going to the doctor´s today, let´s see if he is going to give me a good advice, i´m hoping for an x-ray on my legs. I will take my answers from dr Zuckerman with me. I think this is so nice, to have all this 'soulmates' out there on this planet, that the first I do in the mornings is to 'check' the board! I have never been so happy for a couple of months now.
So many people concearnes about me, and I do have a lot of friends in my life, but they don´t suffer, and they cannot feel this horrible pain like we do. We have really much in common!

Friends, have a nice day! (or? I suppose many sleeps 'over there'! Here in Sweden is it 08.00 in the morning and the sun is going up!)

Clara

ps. To Lori: Roligt att du kan prata svenska! ds

Julie on 3/28/01 at 03:08 (042755)

Clara, good morning and good luck at the doctor's today. The reason you've made so many new friends so quickly is that you've been so sunny and warm yourself, so thank you for bringing your lovely new presence to the board.

Right now you're needing a lot of help and support yourself, but before long you'll be using your experience and compassion to help others. That's something for you to look forward to! Keep aboard, it's nice you're here.

Julie

Kay S on 3/28/01 at 15:08 (042823)

Welcome, Clara. Even though your reason for 'joining' is a negative one, you will find that the people here very positive and helpful. Hopefully, your pf will be short-lived and you can just stay on to chat with those still struggling with the pf monster!
One bit of advice, along with what everyone else has said so far: don't try to do everything at once. Sometimes we all get so anxious that we attempt too many 'cures' at the same time, and then it is difficult to know what helped and what didn't. Give each new approach, whether it is exercise or different shoes or orthotics or therapy........at least a week's trial. At the end of the week you can evaluate whether you are better or not, and then add something new or drop what you had been doing.
We have all experienced that desperation to get better, but please try to muster up the patience to stick with this slow process of healing. I really think you will!
Kay

wendyn on 3/28/01 at 17:40 (042852)

Clara - I wanted you to know that I absolutely LOVE reading your posts! Your English is adorable and I smile every time...!

:)

Re: Wendyn! My adorable english!

Clara on 3/29/01 at 01:53 (042884)

Hi Wendyn!

Well,it´s fun that I can make other people happy!!! My english is not the best, I have not been practising so much. In my work I talk a lot english, and, yes, people are smiling every time I open my mouth...but I´m not afraid, I think you´ll understand me, and don´t stop having fun, - this is the Muppet Show!!

;-)

Clara