Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chronic Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Marcia G on 3/27/01 at 09:44 (042628)

I have had plantar fasciitis for almost 3
years now and have been treated by 3
doctors in the Boston area with physical
therapy, cortisone shots, custom
orthotics, casting, night splints,
acupuncture, anti-inflammatories, and
icing. All the therapies failed to give
permanent relief to the problem. The
doctors don't know what else to do. One
doctor wants to do surgery on me, but 2
of the top doctors at Mass General have
told me to stay away from surgery.
Could you tell me about the new shock
wave treatment, the success, and
names of any doctors in the Boston
area who are doing it? I am limited in
my mobility now and would like to
resume an active life style again. Any
information would be greatly
appreciated.

Re: Chronic Plantar Fasciitis

DGreen on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042630)

I too am a long time chronic sufferer, (20 years) and have tried everything you have and more. I'm interested in the ESWT also because I have had the surgery twice on one foot and once on the other and they did not work. However, I wouldn't let that discourage you from the endoscopic procedure, because my case is so severe. You're on your feet right away and heel quickly. It might work for you. If ESWT doesnt' work for me, I might try the more invasive 'open procedure.' I hope it doesn't come to that.

Nancy N on 3/27/01 at 11:03 (042637)

Just my opinion (though it is echoed by many others on the board), but I would not have surgery unless it was an absolute last resort. Surgery has many more possible complications than ESWT, which makes ESWT (which is completley non-invasive) a much better thing to try first. I don't want anyone to cut my foot unless the ESWT, orthotics, PT, and everything else doesn't make a dent in the pain. Then, and only then, will I consider the surgery.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/01 at 13:49 (042661)

Hi,

We have been using ESWT with the orbasone in over 150 patients in the last year with very effective results. We are in the process of teaching and making a training video for doctors. We are reducing the cost of this procedure to $1200 for the next two weeks or ten patients, in order to produce this ESWT training tape. . The orginal cost was $2500 per foot. Now if you qualify you can have ESWT by Dr. Z for the reducted fee of $1200. The only catch is your have to have your foot and the procedures video taped. If you would like additional information, a video or an evaluation please call my office at 1-856-848-3338.

As far a I know there are no doctors doing ESWT in the Boston area. We have many patients fly to our office and leave the same day or stay over at a local hotel.

Julie on 3/28/01 at 01:22 (042748)

Hello Marcia

Do investigate ESWT before you consider surgery. And I'd encourage you to get in touch with Dr Zuckerman. You're new to this website, I believe (I can't remember your posting before) so you may not know that he is a dedicated doctor who gives a great deal of his time to answering questions and helping people on the board as well as in his practice. He has had a lot of success with this non-invasive procedure, as several people here who've been treated by him can testify. I live in England, but decided ages ago that if I ever needed ESWT, I'd fly to New Jersey to have it with him!

If you have ESWT and it doesn't work, there is then still the surgical option.

All the best

Julie

DGreen on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042630)

I too am a long time chronic sufferer, (20 years) and have tried everything you have and more. I'm interested in the ESWT also because I have had the surgery twice on one foot and once on the other and they did not work. However, I wouldn't let that discourage you from the endoscopic procedure, because my case is so severe. You're on your feet right away and heel quickly. It might work for you. If ESWT doesnt' work for me, I might try the more invasive 'open procedure.' I hope it doesn't come to that.

Nancy N on 3/27/01 at 11:03 (042637)

Just my opinion (though it is echoed by many others on the board), but I would not have surgery unless it was an absolute last resort. Surgery has many more possible complications than ESWT, which makes ESWT (which is completley non-invasive) a much better thing to try first. I don't want anyone to cut my foot unless the ESWT, orthotics, PT, and everything else doesn't make a dent in the pain. Then, and only then, will I consider the surgery.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/01 at 13:49 (042661)

Hi,

We have been using ESWT with the orbasone in over 150 patients in the last year with very effective results. We are in the process of teaching and making a training video for doctors. We are reducing the cost of this procedure to $1200 for the next two weeks or ten patients, in order to produce this ESWT training tape. . The orginal cost was $2500 per foot. Now if you qualify you can have ESWT by Dr. Z for the reducted fee of $1200. The only catch is your have to have your foot and the procedures video taped. If you would like additional information, a video or an evaluation please call my office at 1-856-848-3338.

As far a I know there are no doctors doing ESWT in the Boston area. We have many patients fly to our office and leave the same day or stay over at a local hotel.

Julie on 3/28/01 at 01:22 (042748)

Hello Marcia

Do investigate ESWT before you consider surgery. And I'd encourage you to get in touch with Dr Zuckerman. You're new to this website, I believe (I can't remember your posting before) so you may not know that he is a dedicated doctor who gives a great deal of his time to answering questions and helping people on the board as well as in his practice. He has had a lot of success with this non-invasive procedure, as several people here who've been treated by him can testify. I live in England, but decided ages ago that if I ever needed ESWT, I'd fly to New Jersey to have it with him!

If you have ESWT and it doesn't work, there is then still the surgical option.

All the best

Julie