Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

? for Dr. Z re ESWT

Posted by reb c. on 3/27/01 at 11:21 (042643)

In Beverly's post regarding the newspaper article about ESWT it said that people with osteoarthritis, among other things, are not good candiates for ESWT. Why is that?

Re: ? for Dr. Z re ESWT

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/01 at 12:01 (042651)

If the cause is osteoarthritis. Then the treatment should be directed toward the underlying condition. According to the European Society for Shockwave treatment the positive results will be reduced with these this underlying condition osteoarthritis.

reb c on 3/27/01 at 12:42 (042654)

Do I understand this correctly? That is if the reason for the PF is osteoarthritis? So if my PF was caused by high arches and long distance running but I have osteoarthritis in my knees, would I still be a candidate for ESWT? Please say yes :-) !!

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/01 at 13:34 (042660)

Yes you would be a candidate,. If there is osteoarthritis in the joints in the ankle and the foot then your results may be less then optimal.

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/01 at 12:01 (042651)

If the cause is osteoarthritis. Then the treatment should be directed toward the underlying condition. According to the European Society for Shockwave treatment the positive results will be reduced with these this underlying condition osteoarthritis.

reb c on 3/27/01 at 12:42 (042654)

Do I understand this correctly? That is if the reason for the PF is osteoarthritis? So if my PF was caused by high arches and long distance running but I have osteoarthritis in my knees, would I still be a candidate for ESWT? Please say yes :-) !!

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/27/01 at 13:34 (042660)

Yes you would be a candidate,. If there is osteoarthritis in the joints in the ankle and the foot then your results may be less then optimal.