Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

rest and steroids helped but still hell every day

Posted by lindsay on 3/27/01 at hrmin (042678)

My planter fasciatis came on gradually four years ago. I'm an RN and on my feet every day. Diagnosis was by E ray which showed a heel spur. I had several steroid injections which were wonderful but it came back. I became very depressed dragging myself around and my left foot became painful. I then had to have 6 months off due to neurological trauma and it disappeared all together for nearly two years. Over the last 12 months its come back. My general practitioner tells me that an operation is not possible as they don't do them over here. I'm at my wits end as I long to return to nursing. I have flat feet and arch supports which helped in teh beginning but are now useless. I hate to think of having this all my life. I can't walk like I used to do, I'm grumpy with everyone. I wish there were more that could be done in the UK. If anyone else is out there in the UK maybe we could pool our resources..anyway it's good to let all this out. thanks.

Re: rest and steroids helped but still hell every day

Donna SL on 3/27/01 at 16:47 (042684)

Lindsay,

I thought I posted under your post. Don't know what happened. Look at the post above on rest and steroids There is help in the UK.

Donna

Julie on 3/28/01 at hrmin (042752)

Lindsay, I'm in the UK, and I can't understand why your GP told you that they don't do surgery here. Perhaps he doesn't know, or perhaps he meant that you can't get PF surgery on the NHS.

My podiatrist is a podiatric surgeon and he treats PF surgically (privately - he is on the BUPA list). I can give you his details: e-mail me if you'd like them. There are certainly many others.

But - a big but - you should really investigate ESWT before going for surgery. It's non-invasive and has fewer complications than surgery, which can leave patients with additional problems.

AmyM on 3/28/01 at 11:24 (042794)

ESWT is not avaliable in the UK, as far as I'm aware. A trial was going on in Derby and maybe Birmingham, but as far as I understand it that was for research purposes only and the machines have been returned to the manufacturers.
ESWT is not routinely avaliable, I was also told that surgery wasn't an option and the advice I recieved was stop moaning and learn to live with it.
Sorry I can't be of more help. Try and get your GP to refer you to a podiatrist, they seem to be more sympathetic than the GP's orthos and neuro's I've seen.
You could try physio but I was only ever refered for one or two treatments which isn't nearly enough.

Re: ESWT in UK

Julie on 3/28/01 at 11:48 (042802)

Lindsay and Amy, have a look at Donna's post of 23 March on the ESWT board (something like 'Reflectron in UK). The link to the website where the Reflectron is described is

http://www.logistica-medical.co.uk/

But do see what Donna had to say. She talked to someone here about it, and it would certainly be worth looking into.

Donna SL on 3/27/01 at 16:47 (042684)

Lindsay,

I thought I posted under your post. Don't know what happened. Look at the post above on rest and steroids There is help in the UK.

Donna

Julie on 3/28/01 at hrmin (042752)

Lindsay, I'm in the UK, and I can't understand why your GP told you that they don't do surgery here. Perhaps he doesn't know, or perhaps he meant that you can't get PF surgery on the NHS.

My podiatrist is a podiatric surgeon and he treats PF surgically (privately - he is on the BUPA list). I can give you his details: e-mail me if you'd like them. There are certainly many others.

But - a big but - you should really investigate ESWT before going for surgery. It's non-invasive and has fewer complications than surgery, which can leave patients with additional problems.

AmyM on 3/28/01 at 11:24 (042794)

ESWT is not avaliable in the UK, as far as I'm aware. A trial was going on in Derby and maybe Birmingham, but as far as I understand it that was for research purposes only and the machines have been returned to the manufacturers.
ESWT is not routinely avaliable, I was also told that surgery wasn't an option and the advice I recieved was stop moaning and learn to live with it.
Sorry I can't be of more help. Try and get your GP to refer you to a podiatrist, they seem to be more sympathetic than the GP's orthos and neuro's I've seen.
You could try physio but I was only ever refered for one or two treatments which isn't nearly enough.

Re: ESWT in UK

Julie on 3/28/01 at 11:48 (042802)

Lindsay and Amy, have a look at Donna's post of 23 March on the ESWT board (something like 'Reflectron in UK). The link to the website where the Reflectron is described is

http://www.logistica-medical.co.uk/

But do see what Donna had to say. She talked to someone here about it, and it would certainly be worth looking into.