Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Balace 854...Hurts

Posted by Kathy on 3/27/01 at 20:35 (042725)

I was finally able to order the New Balance 854 from online shoes since I couldn't find them in the Mid-Michigan area, my pedorthist recommended them. Got them today and they will be going back, the roll bar is fine, same as the 853 I now wear but the stabbalizing cage in the arch hurts. I also ordered the same size and they slip on my heels. I love my 853 but they are now discontinued so does anyone have any ideas on which New Balance would be comprable.
Kathy

Re: New Balace 854...Hurts

Bill E on 3/28/01 at hrmin (042746)

It seems that I recently read a really good review of the 854. Ahhh all feet are different!

I have very good luck with roadrunner sports. I have been ordering all of my running shoes from them for years and years...unfortunately I'm not running much now. But they have a website http://www.roadrunnersports.com . If you call their 800 number for information or orders, their phone folks are really helpful!!

Bill

Barb-NY on 3/28/01 at 08:21 (042774)

I only wear the 852. I bought 6 pairs when they announced they were discontinuing that model. I only have 2 pairs left. I hated the 853. I read that the 854 is supposed to be closer in feel to the 852.

New Balance has come out with a variety of new models. Go to the Runners World web site. They rate shoes every year.

Nancy N on 3/28/01 at 08:47 (042780)

Barb--

I was just looking at shoes on the http://www.roadrunnersports.com site that Bill recommended, and they show 852s on their clearance page for $39.99. You might want to check it out.

Barb-NY on 3/28/01 at 12:17 (042807)

Thank for the info...I'm going to check it out right now!

Pauline on 3/28/01 at 14:15 (042813)

Kathy,
I hope you found your shoes. Trying to replace your favorite shoe is like trying to replace a friend. I find everytime the manufacturers replaces one shoe with the next----there is always something a little different about that shoe. The arch isn't quite right, the last is longer, the shoe is a little deeper. They just can't seem to make the same shoe and just change the number.

Don't you wonder, if the shoes are selling why do they think they always have to change them. Why can't they make a shoe the correct size? If it is suppose to be a 6 why doesn't it fit a person with a size 6 foot. Why do you always have to size up 1/2 to 1 size larger, couldn't they just make them the proper size to begin with or change the size they put on the box? Doesn't make much sense does it. There are so many designs, yet the technology doesn't seem to change that much. I never see anyone in line dying to buy the style I am purchasing. No one has ever stolen them from me. I guess I just haven't purchased the right ones. I always go for that good old comfort. My shoes never have names only numbers, however I call them my trusty friends.!!!

Cynthia D on 3/28/01 at 18:45 (042858)

I got the 851's from Newbalance.com that Laurie recommended. They have been great with my orthotics. I suffered my current setback by walking too much in comfy Aerosoles. Wish I had kept on the 851's. Good luck!

Bill E on 3/28/01 at hrmin (042746)

It seems that I recently read a really good review of the 854. Ahhh all feet are different!

I have very good luck with roadrunner sports. I have been ordering all of my running shoes from them for years and years...unfortunately I'm not running much now. But they have a website http://www.roadrunnersports.com . If you call their 800 number for information or orders, their phone folks are really helpful!!

Bill

Barb-NY on 3/28/01 at 08:21 (042774)

I only wear the 852. I bought 6 pairs when they announced they were discontinuing that model. I only have 2 pairs left. I hated the 853. I read that the 854 is supposed to be closer in feel to the 852.

New Balance has come out with a variety of new models. Go to the Runners World web site. They rate shoes every year.

Nancy N on 3/28/01 at 08:47 (042780)

Barb--

I was just looking at shoes on the http://www.roadrunnersports.com site that Bill recommended, and they show 852s on their clearance page for $39.99. You might want to check it out.

Barb-NY on 3/28/01 at 12:17 (042807)

Thank for the info...I'm going to check it out right now!

Pauline on 3/28/01 at 14:15 (042813)

Kathy,
I hope you found your shoes. Trying to replace your favorite shoe is like trying to replace a friend. I find everytime the manufacturers replaces one shoe with the next----there is always something a little different about that shoe. The arch isn't quite right, the last is longer, the shoe is a little deeper. They just can't seem to make the same shoe and just change the number.

Don't you wonder, if the shoes are selling why do they think they always have to change them. Why can't they make a shoe the correct size? If it is suppose to be a 6 why doesn't it fit a person with a size 6 foot. Why do you always have to size up 1/2 to 1 size larger, couldn't they just make them the proper size to begin with or change the size they put on the box? Doesn't make much sense does it. There are so many designs, yet the technology doesn't seem to change that much. I never see anyone in line dying to buy the style I am purchasing. No one has ever stolen them from me. I guess I just haven't purchased the right ones. I always go for that good old comfort. My shoes never have names only numbers, however I call them my trusty friends.!!!

Cynthia D on 3/28/01 at 18:45 (042858)

I got the 851's from Newbalance.com that Laurie recommended. They have been great with my orthotics. I suffered my current setback by walking too much in comfy Aerosoles. Wish I had kept on the 851's. Good luck!