Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post for overpronation only?

Posted by Mary J. on 3/28/01 at hrmin (042770)

I have had two doctors build up the inside of my orthotics (post, I believe), and they hurt my foot very much. I actually have the opposite of overpronation, and my feet turn a little to the outside. So why should the orthotics make my foot turn more to the outside. Thanks, Mary J.

Re: Post for overpronation only?

Lori E. on 3/28/01 at 16:13 (042836)

Mary,
I have the same problem. I wore orthodics for over a year and did not find that they helped me make any progress. I also never had them adjusted, so maybe that is the problem.
Dr. Z told me not to wear my orthodics anymore because they limit my range of motion. Something that a underpronator doesn't need, from his explaination. My foot doesn't carry thru(roll all the way forward from heel to toe,) when I walk and the orthodic was just agrivating my feet.
Your docs are probably building up the arch to support your arch. Do you have high arches too?
I am not totally clear as to the dos and don'ts of orthodics, maybe Richard has an idea of what your docs are trying to do.

JudyS on 3/29/01 at 14:32 (042942)

Lori - that kind of stride, high arches, etc is exactly the same for me and is why I've abandoned orthotics also. Wish I'd been a Dr. Z patient...

Re: Post for overpronation only? What kind of shoes do you wear?

Lori E. on 3/29/01 at 15:19 (042949)

Judy,
That begs the question...What kind of shoes do you wear? Have you found anything good?
Dr. Z said no to the Danskos and thought the handsewn Birks ( Tatamis) were too soft.
I have been test driving some Mephisto 'Holiday' shoes. They seem to be helping. I haven't worn them outside yet because I want to be able to take them back if they don't work.
The $260 kept me away from them at first, but when I add up how much I have spent on shoes so far, if these work it's worth it. I am going to give them another week. But so far so good. I don't want to jinx it.

JudyS on 3/29/01 at 15:42 (042951)

Hi again Lori - The single pair of shoes I wear the most are Josef Seibel clogs - they've been good to me. My 'around the house and first-thing-in-the-morning shoes are an old pair of Streicher's clogs. I have one pair of black leather clogs from Clarks, also. Last, my 'exercise' shoes are a pair I recently bought and was getting ready to talk about here. I've spent way too much money on good quality running shoes - about 3 pair this last 1 1/2 years, and found them ALL to simply be too rigid. A few weeks ago I went to our local running store, which is operated by my son's X-country coach, and told him my whole situation. I said I really wanted a good pair of running shoes that didn't feel like I was wearing an inflexible tire tread! I came home with a pair of Mizunos that I am quite happy with. They're very light-weight and very flexible. Unfortunately I can't find the model number on them! They're white with navy trim and the stock numbers on the inside tag are 8KN13114 and FRT1LWH . I paid about $70.00 for them.

Lori E. on 3/28/01 at 16:13 (042836)

Mary,
I have the same problem. I wore orthodics for over a year and did not find that they helped me make any progress. I also never had them adjusted, so maybe that is the problem.
Dr. Z told me not to wear my orthodics anymore because they limit my range of motion. Something that a underpronator doesn't need, from his explaination. My foot doesn't carry thru(roll all the way forward from heel to toe,) when I walk and the orthodic was just agrivating my feet.
Your docs are probably building up the arch to support your arch. Do you have high arches too?
I am not totally clear as to the dos and don'ts of orthodics, maybe Richard has an idea of what your docs are trying to do.

JudyS on 3/29/01 at 14:32 (042942)

Lori - that kind of stride, high arches, etc is exactly the same for me and is why I've abandoned orthotics also. Wish I'd been a Dr. Z patient...

Lori E. on 3/29/01 at 15:19 (042949)

Judy,
That begs the question...What kind of shoes do you wear? Have you found anything good?
Dr. Z said no to the Danskos and thought the handsewn Birks ( Tatamis) were too soft.
I have been test driving some Mephisto 'Holiday' shoes. They seem to be helping. I haven't worn them outside yet because I want to be able to take them back if they don't work.
The $260 kept me away from them at first, but when I add up how much I have spent on shoes so far, if these work it's worth it. I am going to give them another week. But so far so good. I don't want to jinx it.

JudyS on 3/29/01 at 15:42 (042951)

Hi again Lori - The single pair of shoes I wear the most are Josef Seibel clogs - they've been good to me. My 'around the house and first-thing-in-the-morning shoes are an old pair of Streicher's clogs. I have one pair of black leather clogs from Clarks, also. Last, my 'exercise' shoes are a pair I recently bought and was getting ready to talk about here. I've spent way too much money on good quality running shoes - about 3 pair this last 1 1/2 years, and found them ALL to simply be too rigid. A few weeks ago I went to our local running store, which is operated by my son's X-country coach, and told him my whole situation. I said I really wanted a good pair of running shoes that didn't feel like I was wearing an inflexible tire tread! I came home with a pair of Mizunos that I am quite happy with. They're very light-weight and very flexible. Unfortunately I can't find the model number on them! They're white with navy trim and the stock numbers on the inside tag are 8KN13114 and FRT1LWH . I paid about $70.00 for them.